Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
vferdman
vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch (black)
My home-made KT case made out of a real book

Hi. I am pretty new to e-readers, but have been using KT since last September. I love it in most cases, but still am frustrated with certain things like lack of series feature to organize books, dead page turn taps, etc. The thing that bugged me a lot was the size and shape of the device. I could not sit there and read it for hours like I do a real book. My hands would go numb from grasping such a small and thin device for long periods of time. So, I made a KT case out of a real book that is only a bit bigger than the KT. It was a cheap hard cover I bought at a used book store for $5. I even read the book, but it was garbage. The binding was excellent and I used it for my cover. I first drew an outline of the KT on a piece of very thin (1/4" thick) plywood cut to the size of the real book page. i then cut another piece of 1/4" thick plywood of the same size. I figured out how many pages of the real book would make up sufficient thickness to absorb the KT's thickness. I then clamped the two pieces of plywood to the said number of pages (one piece on the fron, the other on the back) and cut the shape of the KT I traced earlier with a scroll saw. I added a little cut out for the power switch at the top as well. I then glued the pages together, added two strips of elastic, one at the top, the other at the bottom of the opening to hold the KT in place. I also ended up painting various surfaces silver, but that's optional. I used clear plastic tape I had left over from taping my windows for the winter to protect the cover and the result is what you can see in pictures. I find this home made case has number of advantages over the store-bought. First, it is way more protective. There are probably 30-50 pages of real book under the KT and same above it. The sides are cushioned also. Second advantage is if I leave this in the car, it just looks like a book and does not tempt any one to steal it. It is also much, much easier for me to hold while reading. It holds like a real book (because it IS!).

Book closed

Book open without thee KT

Book open with KT

Book in hand 1

Book in hand 2

Power switch detail

Last edited by vferdman; 02-12-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added links for pictures
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One point you have succeeded: I would never steal that book from your car.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
That's really cool! And I guess there aren't overheating concerns with an e-Ink reader?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wow.. Using the hidden cache idea for the KT.. Nice. No one will steal your KT from your bookshelf.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
That's freaking awesome!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
vferdman
vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.vferdman can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch (black)
Glad you like it. The thing looks ruddy because I've been using it for nearly six months now and carrying it with me everywhere. I actually like the fact that it looks worn, it's good camouflage. KT is well protected in it. There is a lot of shock resistance for the device. No heat issues since these devices run very cool. I like this case so much that I am going to make another one that is more neatly executed. This one was sort of a prototype, proof of concept kind of thing.
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferdman View Post
This one was sort of a prototype, proof of concept kind of thing.
A sort of of a prototype, now I understand. I'm looking forward to see the photos of your next case.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, kobo touch