Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
guyjack
Edge User

Brainstorming...

Ok, now that we have chosen to remain hopeful regarding Entourage and our Dual-books, maybe we can think of ways to generate interest in our areas of influence regarding our EE or PE or both!

I am constantly taking my EE to my doctors appointments and reading or working on it in the waiting room. I also take it with me when I go to dine alone somewhere. I usually try to pick a place that is not too loud, but busy. I sometimes even exaggerate my movements to get people to notice what I am taking out of my bag. I have gotten many comments and people stopping at my table to ask what device I am using. This has even resulted in a person the other day at Red Lobster saying that they would buy it from me should I decide to sell it.

So that is my experience and thoughts and suggestions...what are yours?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
glen
Edge User

I find places like doctors offices aren't a good way to introduce the edge. When I was bringing mine to PT I kept getting asked "Is that a Kindle/Nook/iPad/iPod?" (sadly, not joking on the iPod one-someone actually thought my edge was an iPod). One person wanted me to explain to her WHY she would need a tablet. In my experience, these kinds of questions equates out to "they wouldn't know what to do with this thing".

On the other hand, I've been showing mine off at the office and that seems to have generated some interested. Even had one colleague tell me he wished he'd bought something like the edge instead of his iPad. I'm hoping to go to a big conference this summer, so maybe I can generate some interest there. Provided edge's are still available by then.

Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
guyjack
Edge User

Actually, my Doc was so impressed because he could do so much (annotations, x-ray films scanned and turned to PDF's Triage app and a dosage calculator in one device) that he bought two (I just found out today that he bought an EE as well as a PE) and so did his partner. He loves his and is also planning on getting one for his P.A.! Doctors and Professionals would love the Dual-books for their capabilities!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Filark
Edge User

I think we have a good human-interest/tech-business story going if people want to write articles for their local papers, peer publications, newsletters, or forums. Or someone could send out a press release. I would hate to do that or anything much else without knowing that enTourage approves our actions and does in fact want new business and/or our help. Guy, you mentioned a similar concern in another post.

Can anyone (Boris??) actually ask someone at enTourage what kind of help/publicity they would be willing to accept? Sure would be nice to know . . . .

Awesome news about your doctor, Guy! Maybe we should just clone you -- problem solved!

Last edited by Filark; 04-06-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: responding to Guy's post

Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
"Is that a Kindle/Nook/iPad/iPod?" (sadly, not joking on the iPod one-someone actually thought my edge was an iPod).
It's one thing to confuse a known tablet/eReader, but an iPod? This means the person doesn't even know what an iPod is and likely will be an ineffective (and probably unhappy) user of almost any electronic gadget.

Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
It's one thing to confuse a known tablet/eReader, but an iPod? This means the person doesn't even know what an iPod is and likely will be an ineffective (and probably unhappy) user of almost any electronic gadget.
Lots of people buy because it's "cool" and you "must have it", not because they really use it.

Edge looks at the opposite side, you cant make a hybrid toy out of the EE just for the average joe, nonetheless you have to care about the "wowness" factor, starting from design (not that good looking EE & PE), and to focus on the requests of the real ONE/TWO kinds of hardcore customers. It urges a marketing survey. I'm running one in an italian forum dedicated to e-ink devices, and like here, people interested in 9,7 e-inks are moslty professionals / university students

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-06-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Can anyone (Boris??) actually ask someone at enTourage what kind of help/publicity they would be willing to accept? Sure would be nice to know . . . .
You can contact enTourage at sales@entourageedge.com I think.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
Ok, now that we have chosen to remain hopeful regarding Entourage and our Dual-books, maybe we can think of ways to generate interest in our areas of influence regarding our EE or PE or both!
Certainly having people around us see that we're using an intriguing device is going to help with visibility, although this is somewhat passive. Using an eDGe during a presentation of any sort (seminar, meeting, etc.), might put more focus on demonstrating what an eDGe can do. lol, anyone up to holding a TupperWare-style party?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
StevenP
Edge User

You can't help sell something that isn't available for purchase. We need to wait to see if there's a new model coming out and by then I won't be any help, anyways, because I'll still be using the original one (unless I get a big injection of cash by then.)

Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
You can't help sell something that isn't available for purchase. We need to wait to see if there's a new model coming out and by then I won't be any help, anyways, because I'll still be using the original one (unless I get a big injection of cash by then.)
Both models are still available for purchase Amazon, BH Photo, TigerDirect, NewEgg, eBay, etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
StevenP
Edge User

That may be, but when supplies are gone they're gone. If Entourage intended to keep producing and selling the current models they'd still have their product pages up on their web site.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
NiaTrue
Edge User

True enough. do we know how long the production cycle is? How long does it take to produce a batch of eDGes? Because determined interest from consumers might spur the creation of a new batch or at least a batch of the next iteration, assuming they have the cash to pay contractors.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Tiger Direct (canada) shows shipping in 3 - 5 days on all big edges except 1 -2 days for red, as of today. And yes, PE's available in black. I suppose it's possible it was just "their time of the supply cycle."

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
True enough. do we know how long the production cycle is? How long does it take to produce a batch of eDGes? Because determined interest from consumers might spur the creation of a new batch or at least a batch of the next iteration, assuming they have the cash to pay contractors.
Given they're manufactured in China, I imagine it's probably a 4 week timeframe from placing orders to getting them to the US and distributing them to retailer warehouses. Certainly past stock outages have cleared in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
NiaTrue
Edge User

That's pretty short. People wait a lot longer than that for products they really want and can't get anywhere else.