Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #631
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Stitchawl, it's not diplomatic to hit someone with a string of "I hate you's" and THEN ask for a favor - ask for the adoption FIRST!!
Uh.... I think I got it now... (repeating to myself....) Pillage and THEN burn.... Not the other way around...Pillage and THEN burn.... Not the other way around ....Pillage and THEN burn.... Not the other way around... Pillage and THEN burn....

Quote:
I have to admit I'm pretty darn jealous myself, but I don't want pork, I want BEEF, preferably brisket. At this point I'd probably settle for bbq'd shoe leather though...
Shel, I'm telling you... Try that crockpot BBQ beef. I just made it again last night and it was great. Not quite as good as Scruby's, but certainly good enough to satisfy a Jones for good Southern style BBQ beef. I still want to try it with pork but I have to wait until I can get to the wholesale butchers and they are only open to the public on Sunday mornings. I can't buy a pork butt or shoulder in the stupidmarket. The largest piece they sell is a tenderloin, not even a regular loin! As it is, for the beef I have to buy 2-3 pieces just to equal about 2 pounds of meat!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #632
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I thought people in South Africa ate lions and elephants and okapi biltong and stuff! What's with this "Golden Syrup" business? Won't "Lyle's" Golden Syrup work in a pinch?

Stitchawl
At a pinch, but there was something about Illovo - made in Natal - it was better than anyone elses.

springbok biltong is wonderful indeed, never tried the elephants - I like them too much to eat them. Beef biltong is too greasy.

Gee my spingbok biltong
gee my boer biskyt
gee my sterk boboetie
n waatlemoen konfyt.

(I hope that's how it is spelled, it's over 50 years since I read Afrikaans)

give me springbok jerkie
give me farm biscuits
give me strong boboetie (curry)
and watermelon jam

also koeksusters - a type of twisted doughnut soaked in syrup
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #633
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybells View Post
At a pinch, but there was something about Illovo - made in Natal - it was better than anyone elses.

springbok biltong is wonderful indeed, never tried the elephants - I like them too much to eat them. Beef biltong is too greasy.

Gee my spingbok biltong
gee my boer biskyt
gee my sterk boboetie
n waatlemoen konfyt.

(I hope that's how it is spelled, it's over 50 years since I read Afrikaans)

give me springbok jerkie
give me farm biscuits
give me strong boboetie (curry)
and watermelon jam

also koeksusters - a type of twisted doughnut soaked in syrup

Delightful poetry!

Stitchawl
Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #634
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Watermelon jam? Is that like Alabama watermelon rind preserves? The rind peeled, then cooked down with the syrup until it is gooey and delicious on a hot buttered biscuit? Tim's mom took that recipe to her grave, and I've been missing her and the jam ever since.

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-13-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Typo
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #635
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Watermelon jam? Is that like Alabama watermelon rind preserves? The rind peeled, then cooked down with the syrup until it is gooey and delicious on a hot buttered biscuit? Tim's mom took that recipe to her grave, and I've been missing her and the jam ever since.

Does THIS look like it's close?

I saw variations on this, one using powdered ginger instead of cinnamon, another using anise. The rest of the ingredients seemed to be the same.

Stitchawl
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #636
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That sounds more like a pickle, which is also delicious. His mom's was sweet, like pear preserves.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #637
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I want buttered popcorn!

Stitchawl
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #638
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
well fire up the popcorn machine!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #639
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
well fire up the popcorn machine!
I did just that! But then... I make popcorn almost every night. I usually just salt it though.

You can NOT know how tickled I am with my new popcorn pot. Of all the kitchen 'gadgets' that really work, this one certainly takes the cake!

A LITTLE HISTORY;
I have been using a heavy duty aluminum "Whirlypop" popcorn pot that I purchased from "Lehman's Non-Electric Supply" for at least the last 25 years. Last year I accidentally burned it up... killed the poor thing. So I ordered a replacement from Amazon. They did send me a genuine 'Whirlypop' (which Lehman's still sells, ) but it would seem that the company has gone through some cost cutting and the new pot was nothing short of trash; side wall so thin I had to be careful when washing it, crank paddle that was just a thin wire.... junk from top to bottom. And the popcorn came out of it feeling like rubber. There weren't enough vents to let the steam escape while popping so the kernels were soggy. For a dyed in the wool popper like me, this just would not do...

So I went back to "Lehman's" and ordered their stainless steel popper. At first glance they look about the same, but the differences are startling! It's twice the price of their aluminum one, but I'm worth it. And what I got was the Crown Jewel of Popcorn Making. I can hardly lift this one. It has a multi-layered bottom for better heat diffusion, a bomb-proof crank mechanism, a large flat rotating paddle inside, and solid latching clips to hold the top to the bottom. (On the junky one, I had to use two hands to hold the unit together while I emptied it! I learned THAT the hard way) With the old popper I'd use a fat 1/2 cup of kernels and that would fill the pot 3/4 full. With this new popper I have to use scant 1/2 cup and it fills the pot to the lid. Same size pot... Filled with tender, dry popcorn, virtually every kernel pops, and I am one VERY satisfied customer. I LUUUUVS mu popper!

Stitchawl
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #640
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I LURVS Lehmans!!!!!!!!! been shopping there for years!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #641
bornmusician
Bibliophile
bornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Stitchawl, the secret to movie-theater style popcorn is popping it in coconut oil. horrible for you, but that's what gives it the theater flavor. The theater I worked at in college also put seasoning in with the oil when we popped, so it was cooked in. A scoop of Flavorcol (that was the brand of seasoning salt) and it was deeeeeelish! We actually had people come in every week just for the popcorn!!

man, now I want theater popcorn!
bornmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #642
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I LURVS Lehmans!!!!!!!!! been shopping there for years!
One of my favorite toy stores! Sometimes I wish I was homesteading and could make use of so many of their goods... Not much call for a horse-drawn plough in a 6th floor condo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmusician View Post
Stitchawl, the secret to movie-theater style popcorn is popping it in coconut oil. horrible for you, but that's what gives it the theater flavor.
I lived in northern Thailand for many years, and coconut oil was the easiest oil to purchase in the local street markets. I used it for years BUT there is more to theater taste than that, as you say below...

Quote:
The theater I worked at in college also put seasoning in with the oil when we popped, so it was cooked in. A scoop of Flavorcol (that was the brand of seasoning salt) and it was deeeeeelish!
...THAT is the biggest contributor to the movie theater flavor. And the Imitation synthetic not-quite-real buttery flavored stuff they would squirt on top when you asked for Butter popcorn. Plus... one more flavor ingredient... the paper box! VERY IMPORTANT!

All of these are now being sold to the home users by suppliers such as
http://www.epopcorn.com/
http://www.popcornsupply.com/
http://www.thepopcornmachine.com/

Quote:
We actually had people come in every week just for the popcorn!!
Not only do I believe it, I was ONE of those! I often stopped in just to buy a box of popcorn back in the days when I lived with my parents and didn't have access to the proper supplies.

These days I have my popcorn shipped in, in 8lb jars. That lasts me about two months.

And I will state clearly and for the record;
Hot Air Popcorn Poppers are an abomination in the face of our leader, Mondamin.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-19-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #643
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Hot Air Popcorn Poppers are an abomination in the face of our leader, Mondamin.
I have got one of those and it works like a charm.

Not that I like Popcorn that much, but I like to roast green coffee beans and those hot-air poppers are just great for that.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #644
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have got one of those and it works like a charm.

Not that I like Popcorn that much, but I like to roast green coffee beans and those hot-air poppers are just great for that.
Oh, they do work perfectly for 'popping' the corn (and, I suppose roasting green coffee beans!) I can only pray that the flavor of the roasted coffee is better than the flavor (or lack there of) of the popped corn made in one of those 'things!'

Stitchawl
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #645
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mmmm....homemade squash soup. The kitchen smells delightful this evening.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote