Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Will the new update restore my faith in Kobo?

With the 1.5 update hopefully right around the corner I am beginning to wonder if the new update will actually fix the issues I have with my Kobo. The shortened Battery life is really getting to me. Having to charge my ereader everyday is a pain. Seeing the low battery screen a few chapters into a book is crazy. Also the SD card freeze bug is becoming a bit much.

There are many smaller issues but they mainly relate to firmware features.

So Dear Kobo,

Will you be able to bring me back as a fan of the Kobo? Will I be able to recommend it to my friends again? Or will I be forced to buy a non Canadian competitors ereader, and forever give up the Kobo?
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not experienced any battery problems (though I do not use an SD card). I know you are not alone in this. What has Kobo said when you asked them about it? Did you ask them if you could exchange your reader for another one?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
With the 1.5 update hopefully right around the corner I am beginning to wonder if the new update will actually fix the issues I have with my Kobo. The shortened Battery life is really getting to me. Having to charge my ereader everyday is a pain. Seeing the low battery screen a few chapters into a book is crazy. Also the SD card freeze bug is becoming a bit much.

There are many smaller issues but they mainly relate to firmware features.

So Dear Kobo,

Will you be able to bring me back as a fan of the Kobo? Will I be able to recommend it to my friends again? Or will I be forced to buy a non Canadian competitors ereader, and forever give up the Kobo?
I had problems when I used an sd card too. Slow to turn on or load a book, battery wouldn't last. After removing the SD card, my battery lasts 2 weeks/2000 page turns (approx). It never freezes, but it's still a bit slow to turn on.

Have you tried removing the SD card? Does it still do the same without it?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Strange, while I have seen the freezing at sleep it does not occur often despite the fact that I have an sd card inserted. If you are charging the device every day you are either not charging long enough or you have a hardware issue. With the sd card inserted I am not seeing any real difference in battery life...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
I did indeed let Kobo know. They told me that the kobo has some issues and they will be resolved shortly. That was two months ago. I ended up getting a replacement model. The new reader is the exact same. Constant freezes when it is supposedly going into off mode (common problem) and the battery running out very quickly. Yesterday I charged the device and today it was dead. I recharged it before going to work and pulled it out a few minutes ago to read a book on my way to work when again it was frozen. No paperclip push will unfreeze it.

To answer the inquiry about me using the main memory, I used to use it like that but my books were being constantly deleted and the page marks being removed. I switched to sd card in hope that it would stop. It did but the new problems arose.

I'm actually getting angry over this now as I rarely get to even use my Kobo now. Most definitly on my way too and from work. Not a short trip.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Hmmm, I've used a SD card since day 1 with firmware 1.0 and 1.4 with absolutely no problems so I'm not sure how "common" this problem is. Also, found fw 1.4 greatly improved battery life with a SD card. Since I've never really used the K without the card not sure if there is performance increase without it.

Are you still using 1.0? Are you planning to move to 1.4 or wait for 1.5?
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How sure are we that the v1.5 will actually be made to 1.4 users? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere by the Kobo people as a given.

It might all just be a pipedream & pure supposition by v1.4 users.

The marketing people @ Kobo may not see that as a viable strategy.

Please don't jump on me ~ I am just asking
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Its been stated by the Kobo Reps here that people will need to upgrade to 1.4 to get to 1.5, so yea the firmware will be avaliable.

Then again there has been planned changes to the firmware since 1.4 came out because of comments made by users for things they wished to change.

Its been pretty clear from SameerH that they are planing on a standard upgrade. Whether/When Borders will allow it for Australian customers is a different story.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
How sure are we that the v1.5 will actually be made to 1.4 users?
Absolutely sure.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Its been stated by the Kobo Reps here that people will need to upgrade to 1.4 to get to 1.5, so yea the firmware will be avaliable.
This is actually what JCKobo wrote on August 31 on the issue in the "When's the Next Firmware Release" thread here:

Quote:
We're making sure you can skip 1.0 to the current version without needing 1.4 first.
Something may have changed, I guess, but this is the only comment on the issue I remember.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
thank you for your replies roguefan99 and taming

Here's hoping Kobo sends that delivery camel carrying 1.5 to Oz in a timely way!
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
New update?
You're waiting on the new firmware to fix your KOBO?
Good luck... no one seems to know when that 1.5 firmware will arrive
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yesterday, Sameer, in a private email about another tech issue, told me it was coming "very soon." I'm expecting it this week. The fact that he was at work very late on a Saturday reinforces that belief.

The WiFi doesn't officially launch until tomorrow and I would not be surprised to see our update either on (the real) launch day or within the week. I could be wrong of course.. no crystal ball here.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yesterday, Sameer, in a private email about another tech issue, told me it was coming "very soon."
... so was the newspaper thing
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

That was the website...this is somewhat different. I have, btw, worked at places where people were fired for saying things like, "we're pushing it out in 3 days." even if the person doing the pushing was the one making the statement. As I said earlier, time will tell...

More then that, I think one of the reasons we don't get dates for this sort of thing was that Kobo has learned that particular lesson the hard way. Stuff happens, difficulties arise. Priorities change. No promises means less disappointment and far fewer angry customers feeling cheated and lied to. Heck, they took the October 18 date off the website for pre-orders a bit ago. People read all sorts of things into that--yet they are shipping this weekend and available in at least some of the stores already.

Last edited by taming; 10-17-2010 at 07:05 PM.