Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Criskat
Criskat began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader
Please help! Books and Fonts questions

I have just bought a Sony Pocket Reader which I have wanted for a long time but I have to say I'm not very happy with it. If anyone can help me understand it I would be very thankful.

First I don't understand the charging system, the manual says the computer can't be in sleep mode or reboot while it's charging because it could cause malfunction. My computer reboots on its own sometimes, what am I supposed to do? What would be the extent of this problem?

I don't like the fonts that came with the device. I'm trying to fix this but I can't find the right way. I have been using Book Designer and then Calibre (Sony Library stopped working in less then 24hrs after installation!) and it seems to work but some of the books can take more than 10 minutes to open for the first time! This can't be right. The first time it did this I started pressing buttons, tried to turn it off and it went crazy. This made me think this is a delicate thing and I hate delicate gadgets. Now I just wait patiently but I would like to find out if it's my mistake and why does it open only some books quickly?

Besides I didn't find any good font yet. It just cannot be this hard to use.

Sorry about the english mistakes.
Criskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
To change the font, please go to the end of the following post and download the pdf instructions on changing the font. I suggest either caecilia or arial as a replacement font.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=1
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criskat View Post
First I don't understand the charging system, the manual says the computer can't be in sleep mode or reboot while it's charging because it could cause malfunction. My computer reboots on its own sometimes, what am I supposed to do? What would be the extent of this problem?
I'm assuming you bought the 300? Sony readers before the just released 650 and 350 don't always charge the way you might expect. You can charge it through the USB, but only if the computer is active. When the computer isn't active, the reader doesn't charge. I think that if the computer reboots into Windows then the reader would continue recharging, but I could be wrong.

A USB cable connected to a wall adapter doesn't work either. I suspect that this was Sony trying to make a little bit more off of its readers by forcing you to buy different cables.

The Play Station Portable charger will charge it via a wall outlet using the round port next to the USB port. You can usually find those cables for a few dollars in electronic stores. The good news is that the reader goes for a really long time (days to weeks) between charges.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote