Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
sun_reads
sun_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei S8-701w
Tag Browser threshold value

Hi. I tried my best to search, but have not found anything. :|
Is there a way to set a threshold so that the tag browser only shows tags above a certain number of books?
I know it's possible to sort them by number of books, but I like the alphabetical listing, because that's a lot easier to find things in. However, I have nearly a thousand tags, around 600 of which is just a single book, another 300 is less than five.
If it's not possible, I'll just dump the tags to a different column and then delete those 1 entry tags, but I would prefer not to.
Thanks in advance!
sun_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This may not be precisely what you want.

Preferences: Look and feel: Tag Browser (a tab)
Partitioning method: First letter
Collapse when more items: 15 <play with the number a bit downward
And think about doing (using):
Categories with hierarchical tags (This means many column types)
eg: Science Fiction.Military, Science Fiction.Movie adaptation

This makes a Tag Science fiction with 2 sub tags

Oh, and clean your tags of all the 'still on paper cards' type crud
(the above would use 3 card minimum for category). Your computer will find them with either Science Fiction or the sub tag
Right click the Tags section: Manage and rename or delete (it is smart, and will Merge those into existing, delete if already assigned to a book (no doubles of the same tag)

And while the vacuum is out ... All the alternate spelling/slang: SF, Sci Fi, SyFy...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 AM   #3
sun_reads
sun_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei S8-701w
I'm not sure what that was supposed to do, but maybe the hierachical tags I'm using is breaking it?
Also, these tags are cleaned 3 times before I get to using them.
First by the lovely tag wrangling team over at AO3 who link and merge related tags, then the FanFicFare's metadata cleaner I may have overdone. Here's some snippets of what I put in there:
Code:
#i don't care what AU is it in these columns, that's what freeform tags are for
 ships,characters,category=>[aA]lternate [uU]niverse(.*)=>Alternate Universe
#precision cleanup a.k.a. ffs portmanteaux are fun except in tagging
#yes we get it's a ship cleanup 
 ships=>(\s*)(\(|)(\s*)(-|)(\s*)[eE]stablished(\s*)(\)|)=>
 ships=>(\s*)(\(|)(\s*)(-|)(\s*)[Rr]elationship(\s*)(\)|)=>
 ships=>(.*)(\s*)(\(|)(\s*)(-|)(\s*)[mM]ention(.*)(\s*)(\)|)$=>
 ships=>[Pp]re(-|)=>
Then a third time when I shuttle every tag into a backup column and put only the Fandom and the ship column into the "Tag" column, with hiearchical tags, Fandom.fandomname and Ship.a/b.
The tags I want to hide are tiny ships and tiny fandoms. Obviously, there are going to be a lot of side ships and crossover fandoms that are technically relevant to the book in question, and I don't want to remove this info, but I don't actually want to filter/browse on when choosing what to read or what to put on my phone for later reading. The reason they are in the tags column in the first place is so that the tags are transferred to my phone properly.
I'll guess I'll create yet another custom column where I use the tag manager to manually delete every tag under like 3 items to use to filter; bringing up the number of custom columns I have to a nice round 20.
I... may have a minor obsessive streak regarding the proper way of keeping book info.
Thanks for the advice though
sun_reads is offline   Reply With Quote