Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Closest output profile to Kobo Forma in "Convert Book" dialog is "Kobo Reader" but..

I'm in the "Convert Book" dialog window. In the "Page Setup" section (from the left sidebar), the closest "Output profile" is "Kobo Reader". The profile description says "This profile is intended for the Kobo Reader [Screen size: 536 x 710 pixels]".

A Kobo Forma screen size is 1440 × 1920 pixels. Won't choosing the 536x710pixel "Kobo Reader" profile not be good enough?

Is there no way I can create a "Kobo Forma" "output profile"?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use Tablet and you will be fine, modern devices are capable of resizing images reasonably well on their own.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid,
thanks for your reply.
Is there no way to tell Calibre the precise screen size of my device's screen (i.e.,1440 × 1920 )?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

why does it matter?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Kovid,

Well, I guess it's because tablets are usually full-color. My Kobo Forma is grayscale
Also in a thread I created on the KoboReader subforum, NiLuje told me that it's taxing to rely on the device to resize images. Better for Calibre to create the hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Scaling is *expensive*, trust me, you *want* them cached, or navigating your Library would be even slower, and would murder your battery.
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Grayscaling is not controlled by output profile. And even if you did specify the exact screen size, it is likely the device will still have to resize the image, because the actual available display area in the book reader wont be the screen size, there will be margins, etc.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Context: I was talking about the Kobo's thumbnails. Which have nothing whatsoever to do with in-book content.

As Kovid said, tablet profile is the way to go, no need to overthink it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-13-2019 at 10:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote