Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #451
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

Can I safely remove all the Chinese programs? Will this somehow destabilize the phone or cause any problems with system updates? I also want to completely disable/remove the Vision thing that wants to appear on a swipe to the left from the main screen.
I don't believe that you can disable or uninstall Vision as it seems to be their OS. However, most of the other apps which it came with such as their app store, I either uninstalled or disabled. I don't think you are able to uninstall or disable essential apps unless you root your device.

My advice would be not to load it up with too much essential stuff yet. Then try disabling or uninstalling as much as you like or are able to do, a couple of apps at a time. If it starts acting funny, you'll know which apps likely caused the problem. A factory reset could then bring any uninstalled apps back. You could re-enable any disabled apps. You would then know which apps not to delete and you wouldn't have lost too much information with your factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
What apps have you installed in the stead of the built-in ones? I would want to use as much open source software as possible - if it's available on f-droid it's a huge plus. What keyboard, caller, etc, work well with the e-ink screen? I don't quite trust the inbuilt stuff, and want to deactivate it in as far as that is possible.
I've got a bunch of ereading apps. My primary one is Moon+ Reader Pro. Have a variety of dictionary apps, mainly for Chinese and Japanese. I use GBoard for my keyboard and Google's TTS engine for text-to-speech. I like the @Voicealoud app when I am having the phone do my reading for me. I use OsmAnd and Here We Go for maps. F-Droid and the Aurora Store to get apps. I use a variety of browsers. I disabled the native browser after installing the ones I wanted (Firefox, Brave, Opera...). I use FX for file management. That's about it.

Last edited by Question Mark; 01-13-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #452
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I don't believe that you can disable or uninstall Vision as it seems to be their OS. However, most of the other apps which it came with such as their app store, I either uninstalled or disabled. I don't think you are able to uninstall or disable essential apps unless you root your device.

My advice would be not to load it up with too much essential stuff yet. Then try disabling or uninstalling as much as you like or are able to do, a couple of apps at a time. If it starts acting funny, you'll know which apps likely caused the problem. A factory reset could then bring any uninstalled apps back. You could re-enable any disabled apps. You would then know which apps not to delete and you wouldn't have lost too much information with your factory reset.

I've got a bunch of ereading apps. My primary one is Moon+ Reader Pro. Have a variety of dictionary apps, mainly for Chinese and Japanese. I use GBoard for my keyboard and Google's TTS engine for text-to-speech. I like the @Voicealoud app when I am having the phone do my reading for me. I use OsmAnd and Here We Go for maps. F-Droid and the Aurora Store to get apps. I use a variety of browsers. I disabled the native browser after installing the ones I wanted (Firefox, Brave, Opera...). I use FX for file management. That's about it.
Thank you for the recommendations!

I've now managed to get moon reader on there, and goldendict 2.3, which seems to be a modified pro version - it has a much improved design! The problem I have with moon reader is that it doesn't look good on e-ink. I've changed the font colour to black and the background to white, but it still seems a bit grainy and out of focus. How have you configured it to look good? Or are you content with the standard look?

Overall, happy with the device so far. It seems even faster than my Nova 3. Opening aard2 and goldendict from within a reader and getting back to the text is really snappy.

I was a bit worried about the lower PPI, but it looks really good; it doesn't look any worse than my Kindle or Nova 3.

Listening to music is a joy. Drives my headphones really loud and clear - fantastic sound through Spotify! I don't really know what the hifi option does and if that's the reason for it, but I'm happy with the sound.

I haven't yet tried using it as a phone, but I guess I'll try some calls later. I've heard some worrying reports about SMS not being delivered. Hopefully, that's not going to be a problem.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #453
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there an option to use custom icons on the A5 Pro? The BW screen obviously doesn't show colour, so I have installed Frost from F-droid, but I see no option in the settings to change icons...
Old 01-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #454
tarlcab
Enthusiast
tarlcab began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge x3, Boyue T62, Yotaphone 3, Hisense A6L
I'm sure you can install a launcher with themes like most other Android tablets.
tarlcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #455
jsp56
jsp56 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I just finally pushed the boat out and bought a Hisense A5. Crossing my fingers now that it will work for what I need it to do. It arrives in a few days. I bought it from Cect with the international operating system.

Jen
jsp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:48 AM   #456
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp56 View Post
Hi,

I just finally pushed the boat out and bought a Hisense A5. Crossing my fingers now that it will work for what I need it to do. It arrives in a few days. I bought it from Cect with the international operating system.

Jen
Take care on what you do with it then.

People who purchased the stock/regular firmware version are facing issues recently in rooting it (cf XDA thread).

The International firmware version comes with no possibility to update the phone anyway, so you should be all good. But be careful if one day you want to update it manually using the TF Card method.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:04 AM   #457
jsp56

Thanks! I don't think I want to do anything complicated. I've got to the point where I can't buy any non-LED mobile phone any more except by switching to e-ink, so I've decided to give it a go. If it only makes calls and sends texts and never does anything else I will be perfectly happy.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #458
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
Thanks! I don't think I want to do anything complicated. I've got to the point where I can't buy any non-LED mobile phone any more except by switching to e-ink, so I've decided to give it a go. If it only makes calls and sends texts and never does anything else I will be perfectly happy.
I have the A5 Pro and it's great. I can't use it as my main phone, however, because it drops SMS and calls at random, so I can't rely on it. Calling works fine, though.

I have heard of other people having similar problems with the A5. Make sure to test it out before you rely on it for messages.

Telegram works fine, though. There I seem to get notified of all messages.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #459
jsp56

Thanks, I will make sure to test it.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:01 AM   #460
jsp56

The phone seems to take quite a while to come. I actually didn't realise it was being posted from China. It was posted on the 3rd and is now still in China. Quite exciting really, to think of it coming all that way.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #461
jsp56

Hi,

My phone has arrived now and I wondered if I could ask a question?

I just wondered if turning the light to "off" actually means that it is completely off? I get headaches from LED lights and I turned the light off on the phone, but could still feel that something in the screen was affecting me. I just wondered if anyone might know?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #462
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
Hi,

My phone has arrived now and I wondered if I could ask a question?

I just wondered if turning the light to "off" actually means that it is completely off? I get headaches from LED lights and I turned the light off on the phone, but could still feel that something in the screen was affecting me. I just wondered if anyone might know?

Thanks!
Test it in a completely dark room? My Kindle Paperwhite 3 still has the frontlight on when on 0.

I just tested my A5 Pro and it's completely off. It uses the default software, though. I know there was a bug with the frontlight turning on during calls (this is a setting that can be turned off, but I think it was bugged in the international version). I have understood the international version to be a bit buggy, but make sure to test it out.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:24 AM   #463
jsp56

Thanks, that's really good to know. I'll test it with my camera on a long exposure in the dark. That should tell me, without me having to look at it. :-)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 AM   #464
kandwo
Addict

If anyone else experiences problems with not receiving text messages, see the solution here: https://old.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...receiving_sms/.

I can now finally start using the A5 Pro as my main phone!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #465
armanleftarm
armanleftarm began at the beginning.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconan View Post
I wanted to thank Joscha from chinahandys for the tutorial to root and install google playstore.

https://youtu.be/T9CWR7SwgTM

https://www.chinahandys.net/hisense-...guide-english/

It's very easy to follow. Now my A5 is more useful, for free.
I hope such a guide comes out for the A7.
armanleftarm is offline   Reply With Quote