Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 05:57 AM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Out of many readers, I have yet to wear out a power button.
The switch on my Glo has worn down enough to make it hard to use. This is is a sliding switch and the grip on it was never very good. Now I have to used a fingernail under the edge to move it.

But, I do agree with you. If someone is comfortable without a cover on their ereader, they should use it that way. As well as putting their ereader in a pocket, not worrying about ligatures, starting Discworld from one of the sub-series, not upgrading to Windows 10, using per-screen page numbering, like USB C, putting space between paragraphs and no indents or not minimising the CSS in a stylesheet.

Have I forgotten anything?

Last edited by davidfor; 03-18-2021 at 06:11 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Probably best to start a new thread on this subject.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #63
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
In no particular order, and not certain any of these would be "Kindle Killers" per se, but they'd make the Kobo devices more perfect for my use case -

1. Page #s in TOC.
2. Haptic or page turn buttons for the Aura One LE.
3. Bring back the external SD card feature.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #64
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Global search (the ability to search across your whole library, like you can on Kindles).
Not sure I understand this one. I can do global searches across my whole library on any Kobo device I'm using.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Not sure I understand this one. I can do global searches across my whole library on any Kobo device I'm using.
Yes, for a title, author or series. But you cannot search for a word or a phrase in all your books at once. You can search the contents only in the book you have currently open.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #66
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
For me the real Kindle Killer features are Calibre integration and the ability to patch. Without those I wouldn't have got a Kobo at all, but stuck solely to Kindles.
This!!! I couldn't agree more!
Old 03-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #67
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
The switch on my Glo has worn down enough to make it hard to use. This is is a sliding switch and the grip on it was never very good. Now I have to used a fingernail under the edge to move it.

But, I do agree with you. If someone is comfortable without a cover on their ereader, they should use it that way. As well as putting their ereader in a pocket, not worrying about ligatures, starting Discworld from one of the sub-series, not upgrading to Windows 10, using per-screen page numbering, like USB C, putting space between paragraphs and no indents or not minimising the CSS in a stylesheet.

Oh no, you've done it now!
Old 03-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #68
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Yes, for a title, author or series. But you cannot search for a word or a phrase in all your books at once. You can search the contents only in the book you have currently open.
OK, I see what you're asking for, something like a full indexing as is done on the Kindles when uploading new content to the device.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
starting Discworld from one of the sub-series,
Heretic!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #70
fabricalado
Connoisseur
fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fabricalado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story, Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Inkpad X
Not sure if it'd be a killer feature for a lot of people, but making PDF readable instead of whatever passes for PDF these days would have prevented me from buying an Inkpad X in the first place.

(I can't even remember if Kobo has reflow, but last time I checked, reflow per se wasn't that good to begin with, so...)
fabricalado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #71
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Not exclusive features but:
  1. 10.3" screen
  2. Color
  3. Ligatures in Kepub
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
  1. 10.3" screen
  2. Color
  3. Ligatures in Kepub
I'd go for KePub fixed so it didn't need to have a special format and fixed so all the bugs are removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #73
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
  1. 10.3" screen
  2. Color
  3. Ligatures in Kepub
As a designer, I'd love to see Kobo be an industry leader in typographic rendering. It could be a Kindle Killer if they were on par with Apple Books and other better ebook renderers.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #74
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe & Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Now you've done it. Jon hates these more than no cover on an ereader.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote