Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Words that form real words in Pig Latin

Pig Latin (for anyone who's not come across the term before) is a way of obfuscating speech by taking the first consonant(s) of a word, moving them to the end, and adding 'ay'. (and a few other rules for words stating with a vowel.) It's mostly only used as a spoken language, but it can be written down.

Osay isthay isyay inway igpay atinlay

The interesting thing is that there are some English words, which when transformed into Pig Latin, form another English word.

I know one. Thanks to a mention on the podcast Penn's Sunday School.

Trash -> ashtray

Atwhay otherway ancay ouyay indfay?
(What others can you find?)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Outlay.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can also come up with a couple of others that work either as heard pig Latin or spelt pig Latin, but not both together.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

eBay.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Outlay.
Oh, splendid!

I think, given its verbal origins, we should only have ones that work when spoken.
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 02:46 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm intending to plunder this thread for an email to Penn's Sunday School.
I want to underplay my hand.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:57 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I think homonyms should count. That is, Pig Latin pairs which work when spoken, but the spelling changes. Does everyone agree?

While I wait for a reply, I'll check what's happening in the aisleway.

And I wonder how long before we're fully underway?
Old 08-15-2020, 02:59 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I have to limit my time at the dinner table. If I outstay my time, I'll become stout.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-15-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Your airway isn’t blocked when you wear a mask.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have to limit my time at the dinner table. If I outstay my time, I'll become stout.
Find a dining companion who touts abstemiousness.

Last edited by issybird; 08-15-2020 at 01:37 PM.