Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #106
mouth
mouth began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
That's actually not 100% correct. Nova3 isn't supported by decryptor afaik. You need to first root the device to get the decryption keys, so someone has to do the honors with EDL
This has been my experience. I attempted to decrypt the downloaded update.upx file via the following URL:

Code:
http://firmware-us.boox.com/865e7836a4d6da883e52ed2822f60b9c/update.upx
Which was derived from:

Code:
http://data.onyx-international.cn/api/firmware/update?where={"buildNumber":0,"buildType":"user","deviceMAC":"","lang":"en_US","model":"Nova3","submodel":"","fingerprint":""}
And it failed to decrypt after updating the DeBooxUpx.py file in the cloned Hagb / decryptBooxUpdateUpx Git repository with the following boox_strings variable sub-object, which was acquired after following the instructions How to get the strings:

Code:
'Nova3': {
	"MODEL": "Nova3",
	"STRING_7F00500": "VUkFew9KjsE54uQMSZI+S2tT1RRckT/vKkfiFFqImxi7",  # settings
	"STRING_7F00501": "VEsMcHw88MpwOByhT7zqNhRFTQcruVMqhdllIlY6T+6f",  # upgrade
	"STRING_7F00502": "TGlcNi8npJe4EHxzOKbCXakJKDssoRldHueY5OGl"       # local
}
I am more than happy to assist with rooting my Nova 3, but I lack the experience and knowhow to do so. What is the appropriate programmer file to use when attempting to backup the boot/recovery images for the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 636?

Thanks in advance!
mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:42 AM   #107
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Dear mouth, did you get a python error message running your edited DeBooxUpx.py?
In your code snippet your last line should be "},"

We don't need this edl stuff, if your Nova 3 strings are right.

Last edited by yokos; 12-31-2020 at 03:59 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2020, 03:56 AM   #108
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

I got my boot.img using DeBooxUpdate.py for Max Lumi. But I can't test it, because it is hard to buy a Max Lumi right now.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #109
mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Dear mouth, did you get a python error message running your edited DeBooxUpx.py?
In your code snippet your last line should be "},"

We don't need this edl stuff, if your Nova 3 strings are right.
No error; In the Python file, I did have a comma after the curly bracket, and it does export a zip file, but that archive is not readable by any archive software I have tried.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #110
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth View Post
No error; In the Python file, I did have a comma after the curly bracket, and it does export a zip file, but that archive is not readable by any archive software I have tried.
Actually I managed to decrypt the update with your strings without any problem. I attach decrypted boot.img partition. I zipped it, because mobileread doesn't take .img files

Maybe the reason for your problem is malformed update.upx file?
Hope it helps you.

EDIT: Use this file at your own risk of course. There shouldn't be any problems with it, but who knows.
Attached Files
File Type: zip boot.img.zip (11.37 MB, 155 views)
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #111
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
That's actually not 100% correct. Nova3 isn't supported by decryptor afaik. You need to first root the device to get the decryption keys, so someone has to do the honors with EDL
it is 100% correct... you don't need root to get the decryption keys, the /system is world readable

Last edited by diabl0w; 12-31-2020 at 04:53 PM.
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #112
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
it is 100% correct... you don't need root to get the decryption keys, the /system is world readable
Yes, my bad, I edited the message not to spread confusion. I guess I was thinking of some other app I needed root to extract.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #113
mePy2
mePy2 began at the beginning.

Device: Max2 Pro
Can you help me?

Hi guys, can you help me in understanding what root can be useful at? And also to understand what the tools you listed do?
I am a Max2 Pro owner and I really would like to personalise my Boox more.

Cheers
mePy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:46 AM   #114
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
updated TWRP to include resetprop binary for easier OTA's
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #115
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mePy2 View Post
Hi guys, can you help me in understanding what root can be useful at? And also to understand what the tools you listed do?
I am a Max2 Pro owner and I really would like to personalise my Boox more.

Cheers
I imagine there's no real answer to that. The question was asked by someone else and there was no reply.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #116
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mePy2 View Post
can you help me in understanding what root can be useful at?
Take ownership of the device and ensure it actually becomes your property, empowering yourself to make practical use of the full potential of the device capabilities.

If the manufacturer is the only one who can decide what can be done and not be done on a given device, the buyer of the computer/phone/e-reader doesn't really own it and is not free to use it on his/her own terms.

This is at the same time a question of liberty and of technical flexibility.

Unfortunately, most people are only consumer minded and simply don't care, with all the negative consequences this includes, and that's what the manufacturers in the end cater to, effectively limiting and even prohibiting to use the inherent potential of the sold devices for everyone.

Recommended fuel for thought: www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.en.html

We live in very strange times indeed.

Last edited by orebmur; 01-02-2021 at 10:56 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #117
mouth

Quote:
Actually I managed to decrypt the update with your strings without any problem. I attach decrypted boot.img partition. I zipped it, because mobileread doesn't take .img files

Maybe the reason for your problem is malformed update.upx file?
Hope it helps you.

EDIT: Use this file at your own risk of course. There shouldn't be any problems with it, but who knows.
Thanks!
Old 01-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #118
mouth

Post BOOX Note Air

For those of you interested, I was able to pull the following strings for the BOOX Note Air:

Code:
'NoteAir': {
	"MODEL": "NoteAir",
	"STRING_7F00500": "U04vqHYo0LFoJQAvP3Rs1aBxySs7z4T1B+asamimEoAf",  # settings
	"STRING_7F00501": "VD1ZqgIl08305CVeftRI7qGBtq9bCMrJ3a1VkpkzjOu2",  # upgrade
	"STRING_7F00502": "PW8K6VI//Zt6iqjYQWN0LIwRTVYyDHJvHNEXFwWV"       # local
},
The current firmware URL is:

Code:
http://firmware-us.boox.com/3df6fad536d71c6e8fa2df5a7fc710fe/update.upx
Which was derived via the following URL:

Code:
http://data.onyx-international.cn/api/firmware/update?where={"buildNumber":0,"buildType":"user","deviceMAC":"","lang":"en_US","model":"NoteAir","submodel":"","fingerprint":""}
I will post an update once I successfully decrypt the file.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 AM   #119
qls0519
qls0519 began at the beginning.

Device: BooxNote2
note2 flash your twrp.img. , following your guide.
reboot to recovery , stuck at a black screen
max3 should have the same chip as note2.
what should i do?
qls0519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #120
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qls0519 View Post
note2 flash your twrp.img. , following your guide.
reboot to recovery , stuck at a black screen
max3 should have the same chip as note2.
what should i do?
Flash an original Note 2 recovery of course.
If you don't have it, you will need to extract it via phyton from Note 2 upx file.