Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
x86
x86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Install git client on jailbroken device?

Hi everyone,

I try to install a git client on a jailbroken Kindle PW3.

According to postings in other threads, debian armel packages from wheezy or jessie releases should be suitable for PW3.

I have made some attempts but can figure out how to install the binaries into my Kindle. (Connectivity is no problem, USBNet is up and running)

The only package management system available on the PW3 seems to be dpkg. I have downloaded git_2.1.4-2.1+deb8u7_armel.deb and get the following response:
Code:
dpkg -i git_2.1.4-2.1+deb8u7_armel.deb
dpkg: can't open '/var/lib/dpkg/status': No such file or directory
mkdir /var/lib/dpkg
touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
dpkg -i git_2.1.4-2.1+deb8u7_armel.deb
dpkg: package git depends on libc6, which is not installed or flagged to be installed
The last row makes me catious. libc6 should already be installed in the linux image, as many parts of the kernel depends on it.

Does anyone know a more suitable approach to install git binaries?
Would it more appropriate to make a Kual package?

Software:
Kindle PW3, firmware 5.11.2
Jailbreak 1.15.N r15987
USBNetwork N 0.22.N
Kterm 2.4 (but i prefer ssh from laptop via PuTTY)
BusyBox v1.28.3
Linux version 3.0.35-lab126
Screensavers linkss 0.25.N r15989
Kual v2.7 gc2948b8 (20190404)
KOReader v2019.06

Hardware:
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
Hardware: Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite based Wario Board

Last edited by x86; 06-28-2019 at 11:17 AM.
x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Just stage the package somewhere manually, not through a PMS.

A quick glance on my system shows the only non-libc runtime dependencies to be zlib and libpcre2. zlib will be there on the Kindle, and its ABI is stable, so, never going to be an issue. As for pcre2, I'm pretty sure it's an optional dep. If it's not, just stage that along, it's also pretty much self-contained.

It also probably depends on OpenSSL, but you should have a half-decent version on the Kindle, or a much more recent one w/ USBNet.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
x86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Just stage the package somewhere manually, not through a PMS.
Thanks for your reply, NiLuJe.
I honestly do not know how to install binaries without a pms such as dpkg or apt-get. The only thing I came across when googling was something like
Code:
dpkg-deb -x <package.deb> <destination dir>
I can extract the git package, but cannot execute it because of mandatory dependency to libpcre++

I do not understand how to proceed. Should I merge all content from the mandatory depending .deb packages into a single folder where also my git* executable redides?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86 View Post
Thanks for your reply, NiLuJe.
I honestly do not know how to install binaries without a pms such as dpkg or apt-get. The only thing I came across when googling was something like
Code:
dpkg-deb -x <package.deb> <destination dir>
I can extract the git package, but cannot execute it because of mandatory dependency to libpcre++

I do not understand how to proceed. Should I merge all content from the mandatory depending .deb packages into a single folder where also my git* executable redides?
Start by understanding the basics of what a Debian package consists of:
https://www.madebymany.com/stories/w...debian-package
That particular post is 'sort of' mid-level information, there are more general purpose, low(est) level, utilities that can be used to "do it all by hand".
But no sense in getting too crazy when just starting the learning curve.

Now with the understanding of how a single (package) file can be de-composed into its constituent parts ...

You will need to decide how you are going to accomplish the desired result WITHOUT bricking the machine or having all of your work wiped by a surprise OTA experience.

There have been two general approaches posted here over the years (multiple, slightly differing, varieties of each posted here).

*) Build a full chrooted system (using space from the visible, USB storage area).
-) The downfall of that is a lot of duplication without even readonly access to the Kindle system.
But this type of example has been posted here multiple times over the years.

*) NOT build a fully chrooted system.
First question that often comes to mind is:
But wait, the Kindle system is ARM-Softfloat and anything within the past decade on Debian is ARM-hardfloat. How can that work without being one or the other?

Next learning curve:
All *nix-like (Unix like) systems can support MULTIPLE systems, concurrently.
It is only the default system that lives in the "system" directories, starting with /lib/libc. The kernel does not care what system it runs (since it makes only hardware and its own static software build).

Enter my one and only, worked example, of how to run more than a single system, concurrently.
Choice #2 has been a tad bit overly exotic for nearly everyone's taste here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240616
Hmm...
That thread is five years old this month, guess it wasn't such a grand idea after all.

Last edited by knc1; 06-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The armel port is still soft-float, so I'd really just stage it in a fake rootfs, and fudge LD_LIBRARY_PATH & PATH as needed. Done.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
x86

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Start by understanding...
Thank you very much for your thorough answer, knc1.

I recently discovered this forum and at first did not realize how deep into linux these Developer Corner treads dig.

Having a java/python background, I doubtlessly have some core linux homework to do before anything else.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Also thanks NiLuJe for advice.

Will report my progress later on.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Boox c67ml,Note S,Max2,KT3,KPW4,Kobo AurdHD,Touch N905C
` Build a full chrooted system (using space from the visible, USB storage area).`'s links:

https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/1761
zaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Boox c67ml,Note S,Max2,KT3,KPW4,Kobo AurdHD,Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86 View Post
Thank you very much for your thorough answer, knc1.

I recently discovered this forum and at first did not realize how deep into linux these Developer Corner treads dig.

Having a java/python background, I doubtlessly have some core linux homework to do before anything else.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Also thanks NiLuJe for advice.

Will report my progress later on.
You can use this extension to install git

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3867471
zaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kual, pw3