Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #16
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given how bad some Oasis models seem to be at ghosting and given that it bothers you, might it not be time to move away from Amazon and get a different brand that doesn't ghost so bad?
Oh I'd love to, and I considered buying the Kobo Forma or Libra H2O, but the lack of a good dictionary (e.g. Kindle's Oxford dictionaries) and the lack of the ability to purchase and sideload the OED to it meant it'd be useless for my needs.
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If that is the case, I would have sent back the Oasis 2. There is no way I would put up with a Reader where I needed to have it refresh every page.
You actually might not have needed it, but I'm pretty OCD about it. I set my Libra to refresh every page too. To be honest, I can see the contrast difference only when I put my nose practically against the screen (both on the Libra and the Oases), but even so, I want the contrast to be the best it can be, all the time. It's just a quirk of mine. I'm sure the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine with all my ereaders when they're not refreshing every page.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis 2 is set to fully refresh every page too. Not because there is ghosting (there isn't really), but because I want the text to have maximum contrast all the time. Contrast worsens with partial refresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You actually might not have needed it, but I'm pretty OCD about it. I set my Libra to refresh every page too. To be honest, I can see the contrast difference only when I put my nose practically against the screen (both on the Libra and the Oases), but even so, I want the contrast to be the best it can be, all the time. It's just a quirk of mine. I'm sure the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine with all my ereaders when they're not refreshing every page.
Thanks for the clarification and further elaboration.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksks View Post
Thanks for the replies. So it seems some users have experienced bad ghosting while others have seen very little. It's spring here and not particularly cold (and my other ereaders are fine, no ghosting) so maybe mine was a bad batch.

I'm quite sensitive to ghosting so it does bother me, especially considering the Oasis cost x3 as much as my perfect Paperwhite. I probably won't return it even though there are also 3 annoying black dots on the screen (not dead pixels, more like flecks of ink stuck in the glass layer) because I bought it for a long overseas trip and it's difficult to return now!
It looks like you and several others got lemons, but that many Oasis 3's do not have the problem. I hope this gets cleared up.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:03 AM   #20
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
The one thing I take home from all this is that Amazon seems to source components from a variety of providers with varying levels of quality control. From mine and other people's experience it is clear that the evenness of the lighting can be quite different from one unit to the other, but now I see that the e-ink screen itself can be different as well.

Buying a Kindle turns out to be a rather unpleasant game of roulette.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 10-18-2019 at 03:05 AM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #21
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
The one thing I take home from all this is that Amazon seems to source components from a variety of providers with varying levels of quality control. From mine and other people's experience it is clear that the evenness of the lighting can be quite different from one unit to the other, but now I see that the e-ink screen itself can be different as well.

Buying a Kindle turns out to be a rather unpleasant game of roulette.
This is actually the case for Kobo devices as well. I ordered 3 Kobo Libras and the white one had a blueish screen, one black one had a very sickly yellow screen, and the other black one was greenish, but whiter than the other two.

I ended up returning all 3, because I couldn't get used to the 'busy' screen (in comparison to the Kindle screens).

So I guess it's roulette with all e-readers. I've known this for years and I keep hoping that this will stop and that all e-reader screens are a good white, adjustable for reading in the dark with warmer light, no ghosting, and all evenly lit. But apparently that's too much too ask...
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 AM   #22
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I've been using my replacement Oasis for a few days now and I've noticed there is almost no ghosting with this one! So I guess it's hit or miss with the Oases...
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
After installing the latest software update, 5.12.2, the ghosting issue seems to have resolved.

I haven’t had any screen problems since the update. I don’t know if this was something mentioned as part of the update. Perhaps it’s part of the ubiquitous “minor bug fixes”.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Oasis 3
Jep when I first flipped pages on my new Oasis 3, I was a bit shocked at how bad the ghosting was. My PW3 has less of it even if single page refresh is turned off vs on for the Oasis.
Still hesitating regarding replacement or not as stores in my town aren't selling Kindles at all, or just the Oasis 2 (at O3 price). The evenness of its frontlight is just too good, can only be worse on a replacement, I fear.

Edit: FW 5.12.0 and updates blocked as I'm still hoping to get Kual back one day

Last edited by PRS-T2; 10-23-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: FW info
PRS-T2 is offline   Reply With Quote