Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
collin_schupman
collin_schupman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Rooted Nook: remove original nook software or booted directly into android

I rooted a simple nook touch, everything works great but, I would like to either remove the original nook app or boot directly into the android OS without any interaction needed. does anyone know how to do either of these things?
collin_schupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Install another launcher, the next time you boot, it'll ask you which you want to use. If you tell it to always use the new launcher it'll never go into the Nook app again unless you open it manually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
collin_schupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Install another launcher, the next time you boot, it'll ask you which you want to use. If you tell it to always use the new launcher it'll never go into the Nook app again unless you open it manually.
Please bear with my noobishness, but, what do you mean by "install another launcher"? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Everybody starts out as a noob, and when it comes down to it, we're all noobs about more things than not!

A "launcher" is an app that lets you run other apps. On an android phone, it's what you see when nothing else is open (like when you press the home key). Functionally, it's like your desktop in windows -- doesn't really do anything by itself, but it lets you access all the stuff you do stuff with.

Search the Play store for "launchers for android", pick one you like, and install that rascal on your Nook.

I assume that since you've already rooted your Nook you know how to transfer and install an APK. I'm still fairly "noo" in that area myself, but you can find a quick run down here.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
collin_schupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Everybody starts out as a noob, and when it comes down to it, we're all noobs about more things than not!

A "launcher" is an app that lets you run other apps. On an android phone, it's what you see when nothing else is open (like when you press the home key). Functionally, it's like your desktop in windows -- doesn't really do anything by itself, but it lets you access all the stuff you do stuff with.

Search the Play store for "launchers for android", pick one you like, and install that rascal on your Nook.

I assume that since you've already rooted your Nook you know how to transfer and install an APK. I'm still fairly "noo" in that area myself, but you can find a quick run down here.
Thanks for being a helpful, non-dickish human being! I'm able to boot into the android OS without being questioned, but, I still have to swipe the screen in order to start, do you know if there' a way to remove that?
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're quite welcome, I try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated myself, you know? It really shouldn't be remarkable, alas, it is.

The answer to that, I do not know ... (mostly speculating here) I think that's the NST's version of a lock-screen, you may have to install a totally different ROM to get rid of that. Unfortunately, I'm now officially totally out of my depth. I've never installed a ROM, and have only a passing familiarity with the terms. I also have no idea if there are other ROMs out there for a NST. I'd guess that there are, but it would be about 99.99% guess.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
jsabrahamsen
jsabrahamsen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin_schupman View Post
I'm able to boot into the android OS without being questioned, but, I still have to swipe the screen in order to start, do you know if there' a way to remove that?
If you rooted using Nookmanager, you already have the Relaunch launcher. Somewhere in the Nook mod manager settings there is an option to turn off the swipe, I have done this. I just have to press the nook button to turn on the screen and continue where I left off. Nook mod manager is an app that is installed by Nookmanager. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly where the setting is, I don't have my Nook ST here.
jsabrahamsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
My boots straight into Relaunch. The configuration came as default with the rooting package I installed. I think I used Nookmanager. It was easy. I didn't bother to back up.

Edit: Oh, you're bothered about the boot at startup? Then don't reboot. I restart my Nook about once every 3 months...It's very stable.

On another note, I recommend you install a deep sleep app to make the battery last longer. And let it go to sleep by itself.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #9
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Would you tell me these steps for operation?

thanks.
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote