Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Calibre on ARM Linux

This is probably a stupid Q, but ... has anyone tried porting Calibre to run on ARM Linux?

(Asking because I'm in the process of acquiring an OpenPandora palmtop, which runs a tailored version of Angstrom Linux (http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/), and it seems to me that with a 600MHz Cortex A8 the OpenPandora ought to be up to running Calibre, not just an ebook reader client like FBReader.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to get more eyes on the question. There has been discussion in the past about ARM by people who aren't developers.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre itself should be easy to port to ARM, it has very little C code. The problem is porting all its dependencies.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

I know Calibre requires python, < 3.0. I can't check the source right now because, ahem, I'm rebuilding MacPorts and haven't installed bzr yet: what other significant packages should I start looking into for Calibre support on ARM Linux?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the list of dependencies is on the calibre linux download page.
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
cstross
Cynic

Gotcha. That list doesn't look particularly exotic/difficult.

When I get my OpenPandora I'll see what needs doing to get the prerequisites installed. And if practical I'll try and write a build script for a PND package (the distro's app package format).

(As I haven't done any serious programming in 8-9 years I may be some time ...)
Old 06-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

All the best

Fell free to ping me if you have trouble with any of the C code in calibre.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
leo738
Enthusiast
leo738 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello,

Just to let you know that I've successfully got calibre (v 0.7.44) running on a Beagleboard XM. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) on the board & pulled in Calibre via the Ubuntu repository (hence the old version). I tried using the ppa for calibre but without success. The only issue I had was with python-cssutils, which had to be v 0.9.7 to run correctly.

It comes on every morning at 5am & emails 'The Irish Times' to me. It works well, except that some of the news sources are not fully pulled in. Not sure what the exact problem is.

Regards,

Leo
leo738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Cool