Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Calibre mail server

I have to use my ISP mail server in order to send mail. They also require plain text authentication (no SSL, no TLS).

When I set up the mail server in Calibre, I get a choice between SSL and TLS. Is there a way to set up Calibre with plain text authentication, no security?
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't. plain text authentication is really, really insecure.

I suggest signing up for a free google mail account and using it in calibre. It's free and if you dont like google mail you dont have to use it for anything else.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

I have a free google mail account. However, I can't send messages out using it because my ISP blocks email sent through any server other than theirs. I can send google webmail, but, configuring my google account in Calibre doesn't work.

I understand plain text is insecure. I hate it. However, it's a limitation of my provider.

Actually, testing it here at work with my portable Calibre (I work for my ISP), I find I can send from my work PC. So, SMTP isn't blocked for company computers, only customers. Nice (is there an eye-rolling smiley?)

If I submit a ticket requesting plain text authentication as a feature, is there any chance it would be implemented?

Last edited by Gwen Morse; 02-20-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd rather not, as it is really insecure.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
I have a free google mail account. However, I can't send messages out using it because my ISP blocks email sent through any server other than theirs. I can send google webmail, but, configuring my google account in Calibre doesn't work.

I understand plain text is insecure. I hate it. However, it's a limitation of my provider.
Can you submit a ticket to them since this really is their fault?
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
pdxsam
pdxsam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Most ISP's block outgoing port 25 for email purposes to try and defeat botnets. Likewise most ISP's allow port 587 out to send email. You might try checking to see if they support alternate smtp outgoing ports.
pdxsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Gwen Morse
Addict

They also block 587. However, Kovid has spoken, so there's no point in discussing it further.

Obviously there has to be _some_ way around it. If it continues to annoy me I'll look into alternate options.

I appreciate the answers, thanks for reading!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
bloski
bloski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same issue, I would like to set up a server at work to send news articles to my Kindle while I am on holiday, but we have a firewall to the internet so no direct access to Gmail. The only way I could get this to work is if I sent if via our Exchange server, but TLS and SSL have not been implemented on it, only unsecure smtp on port 25. I'm sure having an option to just not use encryption would be very simple to implement. (But what do I know).
bloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There's the option of tunneling into a network that doesn't block SMTP to get it to work. But, personally, I'd get seriously angry at my ISP, if they were doing that sort of thing, to the point of not deeming them worth my money and just changing ISPs. You might consider doing that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloski View Post
I have the same issue, I would like to set up a server at work to send news articles to my Kindle while I am on holiday, but we have a firewall to the internet so no direct access to Gmail.
There's the option of tunneling into a network that doesn't block SMTP to get it to work. But, personally, I'd get seriously angry at my ISP, if they were doing that sort of thing, to the point of not deeming them worth my money and just changing ISPs. You might consider doing that.
The person who revived this old thread is dealing with restrictions at his/her work place not an ISP.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloski View Post
I have the same issue, I would like to set up a server at work to send news articles to my Kindle while I am on holiday, but we have a firewall to the internet so no direct access to Gmail. The only way I could get this to work is if I sent if via our Exchange server, but TLS and SSL have not been implemented on it, only unsecure smtp on port 25. I'm sure having an option to just not use encryption would be very simple to implement. (But what do I know).
If you have control of the server, and if it is running linux, then you can do what you want with stunnel. Set it up to accept SSL connections and forward them as unencrypted connections. For example,
stunnel -d submission -r yourmailserver.atcompany.com:smtp
will accept SSL connections and forward them on to the mail server.
Of course, anyone with a network sniffer can see your password.

You can get stunnel to run under windows with a little hacking. Check out the stunnel.org compiled binaries. You will probably want to make it into a service, which is the hacking part.

It continues to astound me that companies/ISPs still set up unencrypted authenticating mail servers, but they do. I am even more astounded that companies still set up non-authenticating internal mail servers, but they do. The spambots thank them for their cooperation.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The person who revived this old thread is dealing with restrictions at his/her work place not an ISP.
Oops, sorry. I didn't look at the dates.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Oops, sorry. I didn't look at the dates.
You gave good advice.

I hate it when I take time to respond only to discover I replied to a year old post after a thread had been reactivated. I haven't been caught by this in a while, knock wood.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You gave good advice.

I hate it when I take time to respond only to discover I replied to a year old post after a thread had been reactivated. I haven't been caught by this in a while, knock wood.
Thanks. And, actually, I was about to suggest that tunneling might work in this scenario as well, but then I noticed chaley already had typed up a howto.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
bloski
bloski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will certainly give this a try.. Many thanks.. Bloski..
bloski is offline   Reply With Quote