Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
PRS-500 upgrade power

Has anyone noticed that the PRS-500 since upgrade appears to drain the battery during sleep at a faster rate?
I know people have been going on about shortened battery rates, but it seems to drain more during sleep than it used to and this may be what people are observing. (It appears to drain at the same old rate while awake.)
Maybe some unwanted Linux process is running while the device is in sleep mode under the new firmware?
We need someone to find out what it is, in this case. Maybe the process can be 'killed' without harm.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Whatever it is it sure is irritating as hell
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
Whatever it is it sure is irritating as hell
Agreed! The other night when I turned it off it still had two bars. I turn it on 24 hours later to read and I got the low battery message.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if the thing is even judging the battery charge correctly. I mean, it ran out of charge today, I recharged it - but the date was still correct afterwards. If a devices battery is completely discharged, usually the date/time goes too..
Someone wrote to Sony and they recommended an old firmware fix. Maybe we have a firmware regression here..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I wonder if they would let us "downgrade" to the old firmware so the battery will work properly?
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
I wonder if they would let us "downgrade" to the old firmware so the battery will work properly?
No way am I downgrading
I need that EPUB goodness!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Snassek
Connoisseur

I don't know what the problem is but it can be frustrating to go to bed to read and you turn it on and it is dead. I have to read before I sleep.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
I don't know what the problem is but it can be frustrating to go to bed to read and you turn it on and it is dead. I have to read before I sleep.
At most I discover a bar lost overnight.
Put it on your power supply before going to sleep in the interim?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Snassek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Put it on your power supply before going to sleep in the interim?
It's a habit I haven't developed yet since I could wait a month in between charges. I am trying to remember since I have to do it in the morning.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

Initally I thought I got a boost in battery, when i got the ! sign before the upgrade that was it, but after the upgrade I could get 6 more pages out of it, now though I have to charge it every day.
I charge for 4+ hours on the power adapter only as I saw on here somewhere that in the doc it then drain power as the usb is plugged in.
But on a full charge I am getting maybe 20 pages per charge and an overnight on sleep mode.

This is annoying as heck, I know its good to have the ePUB format as the whole library has gone that way but not at the crazy expense of battery life we seem to have been traded.

I read somewhere that the battery can be installed yourself, has anyone tried this since the upgrade and gotten a better charge out of it?
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
20 pages per charge? You definitely have a problem there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Doesn't it stand to reason that epub books take more processing power to display? I suspect that is one reason for reduced battery life.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A complex ePub page may indeed take more processing power, but it only takes a fraction of a second to "render" the page of a typical book. That's certainly not going to use a significant amount of power.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
sukanya
sukanya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Hello, I just sent mine in and received it last week. Before I sent it in, I can still read more than 2 books ( >2000 pages) in one charge. Now I got less than 100 pages before I got the low battery warning messages. I had emailed Sony and received a useless reply ( a link to fact about battery life) Then I called the customer service and the representative told me that they cannot do anything for me and I need to call the repair center. I'm wondering how other people who have this problem resolve their issue?
sukanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Call them! They may not do anything for you immediately, but hopefully if enough people complain they will figure out what's causing the problem and fix it.

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote