Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
samstod
samstod began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any good eReaders for editing?

I do a lot of writing, and work with several people in writing groups. I'd really like to start using an eReader to read stories (both my own and others), and do some editing to them (correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling, word and sentence additions, deletions, comments). Ideally I’d like to edit the document itself, though I haven’t seen any eReaders that do that just yet. At the least, I’d like to be able to make margin notes and export those in some kind of rational format that I can then send to someone and have them read the annotated text (like the track changes feature in Microsoft word).

Are there any readers on the market now that would let me do that, or should I wait to see how the next generation of readers turns out? Right now I have to either do it on paper and then type that into word, or carry a laptop. Neither of those works very well on the bus or while standing in line for something.

I have been looking at some of the newest readers like the iRiver Story, but everything seems focused on annotating text. I can’t see just how much work I can do with the text. Any suggestions on readers to look at, or should I see how the Que reader turns out?
samstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know of no eInk devices which let you edit text, although many have annotation facilities. The Sony PRS-600 has probably the best "free-hand" annotation; the Kindle the best keyboard annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Samstod: I, too, first looked at ereaders for editing and proofing away from my desk. As Harry days, though, the beast ain't with us yet. I use a 505 for recreational reading and a Samsung netbook for editing and proofing out on my terrace or in bed after hours. The netbook's ideal. Also, I believe there's free software out there that will allow you to throw the netbook text into landscape view (vertical layout rather than horizontal) so that you can actually open it as you would a hardback book and read just for fun. More cunbersome than a dedicated reader, but reports are that it does the job. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Looks like the Entourage Edge might do what you want. It has two screens, a stylus, onscreen keyboard, and it has bluetooth.

The scenario I imagine working with would be to fold the device back on itself, so the eink part was facing you and the LED screen was flat on the table. Then you could use a bluetooth or usb keyboard to type your notes.

Or you could just use the stylus. Try their demo, see what you think.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Looks like the Entourage Edge might do what you want. It has two screens, a stylus, onscreen keyboard, and it has bluetooth.
Unfortunately, it's also pure "vapourware".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
actually Harry you can now pre-order the Edge.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote