Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
AlanRoberts
AlanRoberts began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet + FBReader
What can be tested for oldest_article

Looking at the RSS I'm working up a recipe for, I don't see any date/time datum for the item:
Code:
  </item>
  <item rdf:about="http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2017/0714/During-Trump-s-Paris-visit-Macron-positions-himself-as-intermediary-between-Europe-and-president">
    <title>During Trump's Paris visit, ...</title>
    <link>http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2017/0714/During-Trump-s-Paris-visit-Macron-positions-himself-as-intermediary-between-Europe-and-president</link>
    <description>&lt;p&gt;French President Emmanuel Macron invited President Trump and ...</description>
  </item>
There is a time element within the article body that seems useful:
Code:
<time
	id="date-published"
	class="eza-publish_date outer_block all_caps"
	datetime="2017-07-14T10:40:02-04:00"
	title="Published: July 14, 2017 10:40 am EDT">July 14, 2017
</time>
Can I customize to make use of this element, or is oldest_article only applicable if the RDF contains a date?

Thanks,
Alan
AlanRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It needs a date, but you can always customize how the rss is converted into articles by re-implementing parse_feeds() in your recipe class.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
AlanRoberts
AlanRoberts began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet + FBReader
Okay, I guess that means learning a lot more Python than I've had to deal with so far. Are there any existing recipes that you recommend I look at for good examples of reworking parse_feeds()?

While I'm learning, I could try an alternate approach, and suggest to the RSS provider that they add a date/time to their feed. What would calibre need to see, a dc:date element, or something different?

Thanks,
Alan
AlanRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just look at the source code of the BasicNewsRecipe class. And the RSS standard specifies how to add timestamps to feed entries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote