Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #76
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
If Coolreader had light control and Suspend function I would use it always.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #77
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
It will have very soon.
Light control is useless to me, but suspend (sleep) perhaps would save the battery. The main thing remains dictionary. Either it has to be implemented directly in the CR or another application integrated. There are dictionaries working on other linux based ereaders, also from CR, so perhaps it is realistic.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #78
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Light control is now available in version 1.2.6.4.

Suspend is not working and the buttons for the light (<>) should be a bit bigger, but hey - light control!!!

Thanks again, sergey!
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #79
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
This is great, light control and reverse display to white text on black background (negative in the Page/Misc settings), love it!

Thank you Sergey!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #80
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
This is great, light control and reverse display to white text on black background (negative in the Page/Misc settings), love it!

Thank you Sergey!
So you all mention two things of four.
Those two have exactly zero usefulness to me. I never use light, I never use negative.

But there are two other things that might be more important:

- rotating to any orientation. On Aura HD landscape is hardly needed, and even to try it I need a wider range of available margin values - up to 300 not up to 100.

- the list of folders/books moved down in the Open file dialog so that it is easier to touch the very first line.
But it is done perhaps not in the best way:
"Open file" text is insearted at the top.
First of all, the font size of that text is way to large, it should be using the same font size as the list elements.
Second of all, that space should be empty, without any text, because this "Open file" text clutters the view and hides the beginning of the list of files.
But anyway, it is an improvement.
Thanks!
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #81
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
So you all mention two things of four.
Those two have exactly zero usefulness to me.
Don't forget that everybody has different expectations and porting Coolreader to Kobo is really a difficult challenge because of the three different screen sizes of Kobo readers (5",6" and 6.8"). I guess optimalization of font and space sizes is one of the hardest things for the same reason (the size that works well on my Mini is large/small on your Aura HD and vica versa).
Controlling of front light is an essential function for a lot of Kobo Glo and Aura users. Landscape mode is a must-have on the tiny screen of Kobo Mini.

(Updated hungarian translation for 1.2.6.4: Hungarian.ts, Hungarian.qm)
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #82
1drey
1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-505 PB360 Opus Sony PRS-350
An opportunity to make clippings/remarks/notes is requested. Also an option to export these clippings as a text or html file.
1drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #83
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- rotating to any orientation. On Aura HD landscape is hardly needed, and even to try it I need a wider range of available margin values - up to 300 not up to 100.

- the list of folders/books moved down in the Open file dialog so that it is easier to touch the very first line.
But it is done perhaps not in the best way:
"Open file" text is insearted at the top.
First of all, the font size of that text is way to large, it should be using the same font size as the list elements.
Second of all, that space should be empty, without any text, because this "Open file" text clutters the view and hides the beginning of the list of files.
But anyway, it is an improvement.
Thanks!
I had no time for a closer look, but it seems sergey has been very productive. Now you can rotate CoolReader in any direction (page/misc settings) without changing the direction of the other launcher programs too.

Nightmode can be very useful depending on the reading situation. If you don't need it, just don't use it

The landscape mode is fantastic on the Aura HD. With left/right margins set to 80 it looks quite good to me. Of course someone may prefer other settings.

With these settings added in the cr3.ini, the menu in the open dialog looks quite good. The "open file" text shows up fine without hiding anything.

Code:
cr3.app.ui.default.font.size=10
cr3.app.ui.openfile.font.size=10
cr3.app.ui.recent.font.size=10
I have attached 2 screenshots, so you can take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo 1.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	112501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo 2.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	112502  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #84
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I had no time for a closer look, but it seems sergey has been very productive. Now you can rotate CoolReader in any direction (page/misc settings) without changing the direction of the other launcher programs too.

Nightmode can be very useful depending on the reading situation. If you don't need it, just don't use it

The landscape mode is fantastic on the Aura HD. With left/right margins set to 80 it looks quite good to me. Of course someone may prefer other settings.

With these settings added in the cr3.ini, the menu in the open dialog looks quite good. The "open file" text shows up fine without hiding anything.

Code:
cr3.app.ui.default.font.size=10
cr3.app.ui.openfile.font.size=10
cr3.app.ui.recent.font.size=10
I have attached 2 screenshots, so you can take a look.
Thanks, trekk

Now I'm implementing sleep mode in kobo launcher. But I'll be busy till the beginning of the next week. But anyway, we will have sleep mode soon.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #85
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Thanks, trekk

Now I'm implementing sleep mode in kobo launcher. But I'll be busy till the beginning of the next week. But anyway, we will have sleep mode soon.
sergey, you are priceless!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #86
parkher
Evangelist

trekk,

I am using those numbers (Aura HD):

cr3.app.ui.default.font.size=15
cr3.app.ui.openfile.font.size=7
cr3.app.ui.recent.font.size=7

I tried even 6 - easy to read, but a bit more difficult to tap.

As to margins 80 in landscape:
I think I am using a smaller font size (Amasis30 @ size 32 - corresponds to size 20 with Kobo native reader).
I see in your picture 21 lines of text in landscape. On my screen I count 27 lines.
In portrait I have 36 lines.

The optimal width of text depends on the font size. The larger the font - the longer the line of text should be, and vice versa.
So with my font size landscape requires about 200-300, not 80.
In portrait I am using 8.5 - 8.8 cm text width (exactly as in mass marked paperbacks).
In landscape I would like to try 9 cm - 10 cm - 11 cm but no more. With margins = 100 I get 11.8 cm - the lines are too long for the font size.
Good thing, Sergey agreed to increase the max values, so I will be able to test it.

I don't think I will need landscape on Aura HD (I need landscape with 6" screen),
but in landscape it is so much easier to hold the reader in your hand, with the cover folded back and the reader just hanging on your fingers.

Last edited by parkher; 10-01-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #87
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
As to margins 80 in landscape:
I think I am using a smaller font size (Amasis30 @ size 32 - corresponds to size 20 with Kobo native reader).
The optimal width of text depends on the font size. The larger the font - the longer the line of text should be, and vice versa.
So with my font size landscape requires about 200-300, not 80.
You are right. The font size matters. I use Charis SIL Modified @ size 38. When I use a smaller font size, I also increase the margins for better readability. 100 is still enough for my personal taste then, but I do understand your need for greater margin values.

Quote:
In portrait I am using 8.5 - 8.8 cm text width (exactly as in mass marked paperbacks).
In landscape I would like to try 9 cm - 10 cm - 11 cm but no more. With margins = 100 I get 11.8 cm - the lines are too long for the font size.
Good thing, Sergey agreed to increase the max values, so I will be able to test it.
Text width with Charis SIL Modified @ 38 and margins @ 80 is 12,2 cm on my HD. I agree, that this is harder too read with small font sizes. I'm glad, that Sergey will increase the maximum values, so everyone should be happy.

Quote:
I don't think I will need landscape on Aura HD (I need landscape with 6" screen),
but in landscape it is so much easier to hold the reader in your hand, with the cover folded back and the reader just hanging on your fingers.
Usually I prefer reading in portrait mode, but I have a Gecko SlimFit Cover. If I fold it back, I loose the advantage of the folded back of the Aura. But when reading in landscape mode, I can hold the back with my fingers put between the cover and the back of the Aura. I really enjoy reading this way too.

Enough of that. Still 22 episodes of Breaking Bad to go!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #88
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

again with many thanks to sergey, I've just started testing it on my Mini, version 1.2.6.4 - however, I cannot find a list of the books on the device: I know I must be missing something really simple, but there are no books there that I can find. Any suggestions please?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #89
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
again with many thanks to sergey, I've just started testing it on my Mini, version 1.2.6.4 - however, I cannot find a list of the books on the device: I know I must be missing something really simple, but there are no books there that I can find. Any suggestions please?
When you launch CoolReader does it open with a "No document" page?
If so, the top dropdown menu has an "Open" selection. that should normally give you:

onboard
sd
user

to select. Onboard or sd should lead to where you have your files.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #90
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
When you launch CoolReader does it open with a "No document" page?
If so, the top dropdown menu has an "Open" selection. that should normally give you:

onboard
sd
user

to select. Onboard or sd should lead to where you have your files.

Luck;
Ken
I swear to the powers above that I had tried that to no avail
Thanks Ken, that was exactly it!