Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Patricia -- there are several email apps for the Fire. None of them look or feel like Outlook, but at least two of them (Enhanced Email, and Touchdown) should do what you want. Personally, I have both, but really only use the Enhanced Email. It connects to my Exchange servers (both of them) and my Gmail account. It supports POP3 as well, so should be able to connect to your Webstream account without issue.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I have Enhanced Email on my Fire but very few of my emails come through. For instance right now there are 61 unread emails when I look at my Outlook Inbox, but only 1 came through on my Fire.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
ApK, here's all I want to do - my 8 year old grandson is here with me a lot and he'll get on my laptop for hours sometimes, playing games. When he's on the laptop, I use my Fire for reading Facebook, Kindleboards, MobileRead, etc. and I'd like to be able to check my email also. When this happens, I'm actually sitting right here beside him on the couch, he's on the laptop, I'm on the Fire. I'm not interested in being able to check email when I'm away from home or anything like that...just when I'm sitting right here!
I'm a little confused. Is the issue merely that you want to do email on the Fire, or is it as you said at first, that you want to use Outlook (or something very similar to it.)?

If you just want to do email, just use the Fire to browse to: http://www.windstream.net/webmail
and you're done.

Everything else we've been talking about is how to get Outlook-like folder and calendar functionality on your Fire.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 02-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have Enhanced Email on my Fire but very few of my emails come through. For instance right now there are 61 unread emails when I look at my Outlook Inbox, but only 1 came through on my Fire.
That's just a matter of configuration, either in the client, or on your mail account on the Windstream side. For example, something may be set to mark all headers as read once they are downloaded.

Again, though, I'd think you're better of using thre http://www.windstream.net/webmail address rather than bother with a mail client on the Fire at all.

ApK

P.S. You might STILL want to consider using Google's web stuff instead of Windstream's because of the really good organization and calendar integration.

Last edited by ApK; 02-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like some sort of configuration mis-match. I seem to recall there's a setting for how often it updates your inbox, and whether it's pull or push. Not near my Fire, so can't check.
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ApK, I've tried using the http://www.windstream.net/webmail but there again I have the problem of few of my email messages showing up there. Even if I do that from my computer, my Windstream email will say there are no messages, but they are there in my Outlook Inbox. And I'm sorry I wasn't clear from the beginning, I just want to be able to check my email from my Fire, I don't really care how I get there or what it looks like.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)

AHHH, I know what it is!

Your email is "POP3", and therefore it is automatically downloaded and deleted from the server whenever you connect to it. There are two things you can do. One is to change your settings in Outlook to not delete messages on the server when you download. The other is to switch your email box to be IMAP4 instead of POP3. (IMAP is a mail protocol that is SERVER based, rather than CLIENT based.)

You may be able to achieve this even if they don't officially support IMAP by re-configuring Outlook to connect to the WebMail version of Windstream.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
PG4003
Addict

Thank you, thank you, that did it! I Googled "change your settings in Outlook to not delete messages on the server when you download" and the instructions took me to a place under Tools, Account Settings, and there's a box to check that says "Leave a copy of messages on the server". I did a test and it works!! Again, thanks so much.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
ApK

There you go, now you can use the website OR the Fire email client (Make sure that's set to leave messages on the server, too.

The trick is asking the right question!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
PG4003
Addict

You are so right! And it's always something that seems so simple after the fact.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, that did it! I Googled "change your settings in Outlook to not delete messages on the server when you download" and the instructions took me to a place under Tools, Account Settings, and there's a box to check that says "Leave a copy of messages on the server". I did a test and it works!! Again, thanks so much.
Oh, good. I'm glad I was able to help, Patricia.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Keep in mind that almost all email providers place some limit on the volume of email that you are allowed to keep on the server. With none of your email clients deleting email you will eventually fill your allotted space on the server and will no longer receive any email.

I recommend that you set your main computer's Outlook to delete files on server when deleted locally, an option in Outlook that I believe is also in Outlook Express. Set correctly, this will continue to leave the email on the server when downloaded but will delete from the server when deleted locally. Otherwise, you would need to periodically log on to your email's web client and manually delete old email.

Alternately, your email provider may offer the option to delete email after period of time (e.g. after 6 months, ...).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote