Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #46
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post

I can't watch someone cut open a steak and all that blood comes out ... Yuck. It makes me nauseous to even think about it. I also hate the taste of beef and lamb, I've been forced to eat this kind of meat when I still lived at home.

Now that I can choose what I make for dinner, I only eat poultry. Or I make a vegetarian dish. Pork I can stand but barely. Maybe once every month.
I mostly eat chicken, but second is pork, then lamb and last beef... I hardly eat fish - sometimes prawns and oysters.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #47
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I mostly eat chicken, but second is pork, then lamb and last beef... I hardly eat fish - sometimes prawns and oysters.
Ah yes, I forgot about fish. I love all kinds of fish (not shellfish), I usually replace meat with fish twice a week. I haven't tried sushi yet, but I've been wanting to for quite some time.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #48
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no, there is "blue" for meat order; blue, rare, med. rare, med., med. well, well done. this has nothing to do with blue cheese
I'm surprised I've never heard of that, or.... I've always ordered mine w/ blue cheese so I hadn't noticed that they weren't referring to the blue cheese. I've heard of them being called "cold center" but after Googling that seems to be a type of blue steak. If you knew how much steak I consume on a weekly basis, you'd wonder how that could have passed me by. Ironically, that's exactly how I made my steak last night; blackened, cold rare center, blue cheese.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am fed up with chicken. I have been eating chicken all my life.
So, nowdays if I have a chance I eat any meet but chicken. I have tried venison in a country pub in August and it was delicious. After that we bought it a few times from a butcher.
We also bought slowcooker a few weeks ago, so now we can make beef chewable, softer than chicken
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It stems from an idea that cooking destroys vital nutrients etc. It seems logical enough when one considers fruit/vegetables - but other than some fish (salmon) it seems a dodgy practice....
(unless one missed the small slug when one last washed the lettuce )
Hmm, raw fish can be nice (and not only salmon, I do love our herring!). And Filet américain (also called Steak Tartare in English) is lovely! Together with Ossenworst (somewhat simular, originating in Amsterdam), we usually buy it at least once a week...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #51
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post

That is great!

In all fairness, though, I don't believe that the food supply here in the U.S. in terms of eating raw meat IS particularly safe, unless you are able to access it as KK describes. I think perhaps in Europe you are possibly a little closer to your food supply, and tend to shop more locally? Not being very well-travelled, I may be wrong in this though...

I can say that I don't know anybody in my immediate area that shops for each meal, unless it's a special occasion or something. Most of the people that I'm acquainted with shop weekly or less, and then most often from supermarket chains.
Nice post Betty. Indeed I have a good relation, friendly and based on trust and personal appreciation, with a butcher (he grows his own meat) and the head of the meat department of the big market where I buy my groceries. He advises me quite generously. Once or twice a year I buy with his help a couple of big pieces of sirloin, of about 6-7 lb each. He ties them up in 3 lb pieces. I spread them with olive oil and coarse salt and bake them very rare. We call this English roast beef. When they are cold I brush away the salt, cut them up in about 1 lb pieces, wrap them in foil, freezer bag and freeze them. It comes very handy and it keeps well. I have one of those slicing machines.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I'm surprised I've never heard of that, or.... I've always ordered mine w/ blue cheese so I hadn't noticed that they weren't referring to the blue cheese.
Steak with blue cheese is a new one on me! I wouldn't have thought that the two flavours went well together, but I'm happy to learn that they do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #53
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The chain steak places all have some version of blue cheese topping. I prefer mushrooms.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I prefer my steak with a pepper sauce .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I'm surprised I've never heard of that, or.... I've always ordered mine w/ blue cheese so I hadn't noticed that they weren't referring to the blue cheese. I've heard of them being called "cold center" but after Googling that seems to be a type of blue steak. If you knew how much steak I consume on a weekly basis, you'd wonder how that could have passed me by. Ironically, that's exactly how I made my steak last night; blackened, cold rare center, blue cheese.
haha! well steak with blue cheese is quite yummy, as you have found, that is not what is meant here! when ordering a steak "blue", if it is done correctly, the flesh is quite literally blue when cut into

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am fed up with chicken. I have been eating chicken all my life.
So, nowdays if I have a chance I eat any meet but chicken. I have tried venison in a country pub in August and it was delicious. After that we bought it a few times from a butcher.
We also bought slowcooker a few weeks ago, so now we can make beef chewable, softer than chicken
I draw the line at chicken. while I will order beef, pork, fish, and rarely lamb (it is far too easy to have it slip into mutton), I will not eat chicken out at all. this is the meat that is the easiest to carry disease and germs. it is also the most "messed with" growth hormones etc to get as big a chicken with lots of breast meat as possible. I don't even buy chicken soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
yummmm! steak with green peppercorn sauce!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #56
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The chain steak places all have some version of blue cheese topping. I prefer mushrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't do bleu cheese at all, ever. I love most types of cheese, except those with mold or ash.
As for steak toppings, my acid test for a good steak is if it doesn't need anything. That being said though, I have seen as KK described, some of the upscale steak houses that put a pat of herbed butter on a steak, and that's really good. If I'm stuck with a low quality steak, I'll put A-1 steak sauce on it, or order the mushrooms, like DG.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #57
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will not eat chicken out at all
Heh. I am glad I am not the only one. I thought that as usual I am weirdo and everybody love chicken.
Quote:
yummmm! steak with green peppercorn sauce!
I like rare stake as it is. No sauce, no peper, no salt. I like its juice/blood?
Although, I just had a dinner I am almost drooling....Friday evening...the official start of weekend in 4 days...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #58
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
if you have a chance and find a steak in green peppercorn sauce, check it out, you'll be glad you did!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
if you have a chance and find a steak in green peppercorn sauce, check it out, you'll be glad you did!
Is it hot?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #60
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Is it hot?
no not really. they are slightly pickled, so there is a wonderful fusion of peppery and slightly sour flavor without it being hot, and normally it is a very light gravy. have I led you astray with food or drink yet?