Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #136
carolianj
carolianj began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ

Thank you for all the time and effort you put in to this program. I tried to follow your instructions to do it myself, but a lot of it was over my head.
I am so glad to be rid of sudoko challenge and some other apps that were using up internal memory.
I use Windows Vista OS and haven't figured out how to partition an SD card, but I'm still trying.

I'm glad the white start up screen is gone and would like to know if there is anyway I can replace your android start up screen with a picture of my own. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
carolianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #137
isabel1004
isabel1004 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
Greetings fellow ebook addicts!

I've modified the original PocketBook IQ 2.0.3 firmware to make life for us users a bit simpler.

This firmware adds:
  • Working superuser (root) out of the box
  • a2sd pre-installed, ready for setup
  • Launcher Pro as the default Launcher
  • A YouTube app that does not FC eventually
  • After you add an androidID, the Market will work as well

This firmware fixes:
  • The normal Google Account creation process is working now
  • Exchanged the much hated white boot logo
  • Rotated the boot animation to portrait mode
This firmware is missing most of the PocketBook apps. They can be re-installed via the included .apk files.

Firmware installation instructions:
  • Extract the archive and place the flashable file on the root of your (external) SD card.
  • Shut down the device, then press and hold Vol+ while pressing the Power button. After you see the boot logo, you may release the buttons.
  • Wait until your unit is fully rebooted, then do a factory reset (this is optional)

Post Installation Instructions
  • Add your WIFi password
  • Open Gmail and add your account
  • Wait for Gmail to sync (gtalk will FC on you until it is properly synced)
  • Add your androidID and reboot.

Download Stable
Download Experimental
Hi
I am now following your instruction one by one and so far I was successful until the launching the emulator. After I see the emulator working, I should

" Open a Cmd Window and go to the SDK Tools Folder"
Then
" Enter the Command " "adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db "select * from meta";"

but how do I go to the SDK tools Folder on Command Window? I really need to learn some basic computer skill

I really appreciate your hard work.
isabel1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #138
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Hi,
I just happened to look into these posts and saw you got no answer.

What I think was meant is: open a Terminal window (looks like good old MS-DOS) and do as quoted above.

My path there is:
Developer/android-sdk-mac_x86/platform-tools/adb

Your path should be similar to mine at least from "android-sdk-mac_x86" onwards (of course no "mac" on a win-pc)...
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #139
isabel1004
isabel1004 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ, Kindle
Hi Thank you so much!
isabel1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #140
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel1004 View Post
Hi Thank you so much!
You're welcome!

Did the tip help you with what you wanted to achieve?
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #141
francadaniel
francadaniel began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
I have installed the repack on my brand new pocketbook nand everything went wrong: now the system doesnt start. It remains on the Android logo forever.
I waited till the battery ran out to try and install the version 2.0.6 of the firmware, but cant do it. The firmware doesnt load, and the word android appears again.

Any help will be welcomed

Sorry for my English!
francadaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #142
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
You may have to go back to firmware version2.0.2 and then you should be able to install 2.0.6.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #143
francadaniel
francadaniel began at the beginning.

The problem is that i can't install any other version. It just deasnt load
francadaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #144
hainbloed
hainbloed began at the beginning.

Hi!

Thx for the excellent job with the firmware 2.0.3!
Do you have any plans for a repack version of 2.0.6? I'd love it...
hainbloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #145
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Unhappy

A repack for firmware 2.0.6 would be great.

In the meantime, I have updated the firmware to 2.0.6 without any problem. I have also used alternate ways to add Android Market, which succeeded, but I have been unable to root my device and install a2sd.

I have used the second method in the Non-Ugly Method to add AndroidMarket with the new files for firmware 2.0.6 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128178 ; i.e. adb not used). AndroidMarket works perfectly.

After that, I have tried to root the Pocketbook IQ following the directions given at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701 , in order to be able to add a2sd.

When the Pocketbook IQ restarts, I have the SuperUser icon. However, it seems to be very unstable. When I open Z4Root or Root Check or Root Explorer, SuperUser crashes. Root Check indicates (after Superuser crashes) that the device is not rooted, but that Busybox is properly installed.

When I start Z4Root, it first only gives me the options to root temporarily or permanently. Only after approximately 10 seconds does it show the option to un-root. I have un-rooted and re-rooted, but with no better success. The issues are still the same.

What is wrong here? Am I unable to root the device because I used first the non-ugly method to add Android Market? Or is it another issue (e.g. is it related to the 2.0.6 firmware?).

In addition to Busybox (v. 1.17.2), it is indicated that I have version 2.3.6.1 of Superuser (database version 5) and Su binary v2.3.1 -ef. USB debugging was checked, as indicated in the instructions.

Thank you in advance for your help.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #146
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookof View Post
A repack for firmware 2.0.6 would be great.

In the meantime, I have updated the firmware to 2.0.6 without any problem. I have also used alternate ways to add Android Market, which succeeded, but I have been unable to root my device and install a2sd.

I have used the second method in the Non-Ugly Method to add AndroidMarket with the new files for firmware 2.0.6 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128178 ; i.e. adb not used). AndroidMarket works perfectly.

After that, I have tried to root the Pocketbook IQ following the directions given at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_IQ_701 , in order to be able to add a2sd.

When the Pocketbook IQ restarts, I have the SuperUser icon. However, it seems to be very unstable. When I open Z4Root or Root Check or Root Explorer, SuperUser crashes. Root Check indicates (after Superuser crashes) that the device is not rooted, but that Busybox is properly installed.

When I start Z4Root, it first only gives me the options to root temporarily or permanently. Only after approximately 10 seconds does it show the option to un-root. I have un-rooted and re-rooted, but with no better success. The issues are still the same.

What is wrong here? Am I unable to root the device because I used first the non-ugly method to add Android Market? Or is it another issue (e.g. is it related to the 2.0.6 firmware?).

In addition to Busybox (v. 1.17.2), it is indicated that I have version 2.3.6.1 of Superuser (database version 5) and Su binary v2.3.1 -ef. USB debugging was checked, as indicated in the instructions.

Again in this thread:
1. Flash 2.0.6
2. Flash a2sd
3. Flash market install and follow the stepst described in "non ugly market Install"
4. If you like flash new boot logo from here

Please forget about the Fake_AV_..., the included Titanium Backup makes things very unstable
Attached Files
File Type: zip a2sd_v04_PB701SWUPDATE.zip (1.24 MB, 377 views)
File Type: zip Fake_AV_root_PB701SWUPDATE.zip (1.94 MB, 352 views)
File Type: zip InstallMarketOnly_PB701SWUPDATE.zip (4.48 MB, 416 views)
File Type: zip RestoreFramework206_PB701SWUPDATE.zip (2.63 MB, 336 views)

Last edited by troll05; 06-10-2011 at 06:03 AM.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #147
ebookof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Again in this thread:
1. Flash 2.0.6
2. Flash a2sd
3. Flash fake AV Patch
4. Flash market install and follow the stepst described in "non ugly market Install"
5. If you like flash new boot logo from here
Thank you for the information, but it does not seem to work.

Things appear to be fine until step 3. When I flash the market, however, it does not appear on the screen with the different applications after startup.

New applications after step 4 include Superuser (v2.3.6.1 with Su binary v original) and Titanium backup.

When I start Titanium backup, it seems indeed that I have root acccess (OK, busybox 1.18.0), since it shows Internal memory (73.4MB with 52.6MB free), sd card (31.3GB, all free) and SD card (a2sd) (335MB with 334MB free).

Is there any reason why the Market install does not work?

Please note that when I installed the market the first time, it had been saved as originalname_001.zip, since I already had a copy on the computer. The first time I flashed, it was with this name. When I noticed the mistake, I thought the reason for Android Market not appearing was related to the wrong filename. So, I restarted the whole process, including flashing firmware 2.0.6 and the install market with the original name. However, the result was the same.

By the way, if I want to restart everything from scratch, does flashing firmware 2.0.6 and factory reset do the trick or do I have to flash an older firmware? If so, which version? Why is firmware 2.0.6 much larger than the other ones?

Last edited by ebookof; 05-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #148
ebookof
Enthusiast

Hi,

I restarted everything including flashing firmware 2.0.6. This time, everything worked out, including Android Market.

However, I am not sure if the restore framework (last step) went through. How can I check if the restore framework went through? What is the impact if it doesn't and how can I fix this?

Also, I see in Titanium that I have root access and I see the a2sd partition on the sd card. When I look into /data/app, it shows that I have 298MB free and all the new applications are there. So, a2sd seems to work well.

Does a2sd work with all applications or do some applications need to be installed on the internal memory card? If it is the case, how do I install applications on the internal memory card?

Thank you in advance for your answers on the repack and saving locations.

Last edited by ebookof; 05-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #149
ebookof
Enthusiast

As indicated above, everything with the solution given by troll05 seems to work, except that I have noticed that when I install an application, some of the content seems to go to the internal memory and some to the sd card.

As a result, even though I had 300mb on the partition for the applications on my sd, at some point I was unable to add any application because the internal memory was getting full.

Any solution?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #150
ebookof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Again in this thread:
1. Flash 2.0.6
2. Flash a2sd
3. Flash market install and follow the stepst described in "non ugly market Install"
4. If you like flash new boot logo from here

Please forget about the Fake_AV_..., the included Titanium Backup makes things very unstable
Troll05:

I am not sure why you suggested not flashing Fake AV, but when I am through, my device is not rooted.

The previous time I had gone through this procedure, when I had flashed Fake AV, my device was rooted in the end.

Not sure what the Fake AV is, but it seems that it is needed to have a rooted device at the end of the procedure.

Thank you in advance for the clarifications.