Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
FBReader 0.8.1d for iLiad port finished (fixes/new features)

In case you've been living under a rock: FBReader is an e-book reader for Linux/Windows XP computers.

Changes since the last FBReader for iLiad port:
* Close FBReader with Upper Left (Home) Hardware Button
* Better screen refreshes
* Added "Go To Next/Previous Toc Section" actions. (Next Section Via Button on Toolbar. Should be setup to use up/down hardware buttons as well) This is very useful for CHM Files and documents with a table of contents
* Hardware Buttons are configurable via settings screen
* Opening of external http/ftp/mail links in external browser has been added. (should work with dillo)
* OpenReader book format has been supported.
* New encodings (Vietnamese, Korean, MacRoman, etc.) has been supported.
* Time and position text on indicator
* FBReader reads multi-body fb2 documents.

Standalone Installation

The first time you click the icon, it will automatically copy some iLiad specific settings to the /home/root/ directory, and launch the program.

For SD/MMC Users, Download: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ndalonemmc.zip

For Compact Flash (CF) Users, Download: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...andalonecf.zip

The 'fbread' folder will need to be put in the root of your memory card. Simply unzip, run, and enjoy.

For a more native approach that will launch files directly from the contentlister, see this wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILia...e_Installation

Quote:
Main features:

• Supported formats are:
    • fb2 e-book format (style attributes are not supported yet).
    • HTML format (tables are not supported).
    • CHM format (tables are not supported).
    • plucker format (embedded images are supported, tables are not supported).
    • Palmdoc (aportis doc).
    • zTxt (Weasel format).
    • TCR (psion text) format.
    • RTF format (stylesheets and tables are not supported).
    • OEB format (css and tables are not supported).
    • OpenReader format (css and tables are not supported).
    • Non-DRM'ed mobipocket format (tables are not supported).
    • Plain text format.
  • Direct reading from tar, zip, gzip and bzip2 archives. (Multiple books in one archive are supported.)
  • Supported encodings: utf-8, us-ascii, windows-1251, windows-1252, koi8-r, ibm866, iso-8859-*, Big5, GBK. Automatic encoding detection is supported.
  • Automatically generated contents table.
  • Embedded images support.
  • Footnotes/hyperlinks support.
  • Position indicator.
  • Keeps the last open book and the last read positions for all opened books between runs.
  • List of last opened books.
  • Automatic hyphenations. Liang's algorithm is used. The same algorithm is used in TeX, and TeX hyphenation patterns are used in FBReader. Patterns for Czech, English, Esperanto, French, German and Russian are included in the current version.
  • Text search.
  • Full-screen mode.
  • Screen rotation by 90, 180 and 270 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbreader8.png
Views:	1055
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	3084  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Thanks Adam,

It works, but ...

1) There are to many screen refreshes. 3 for a next page
2) The complete screen refreshes every minute. Only the time display should or leave it just out. Only refresh time at a new page, or use partial write.
It is possible to switch the time display off - although it seems that the refreshing goes on every minute.
3) If I use a smaller font, the time display font stays big and writes over the booktext. That is solved by reducing the font size for the page numbers.

Last edited by henkvdg; 04-11-2007 at 02:51 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I fixed the screen refresh issues, disabled the clock, and decreased the font on the page indicator. Redownload and let me know what you think.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Great work, Adam

I have downloaded the SD version of the program, but i cannot run the program. O have ver 2.9.1 and i dont have the shell hack installed. Is the hack necessary? I have requested the shell hack a couple weeks ago, but havent received it.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Great work, Adam

I have downloaded the SD version of the program, but i cannot run the program. O have ver 2.9.1 and i dont have the shell hack installed. Is the hack necessary? I have requested the shell hack a couple weeks ago, but havent received it.
Yes, the shell hack is necessary. You'll have to wait for that before you can use FBReader.
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Great work, Adam

Pssss - if you send a private message backchannel to Matthijs you might get a quicker response if you have been in the queue a while. They seemed to get behind after the Paris show.

Don't let anybody know, though
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I fixed the screen refresh issues, disabled the clock, and decreased the font on the page indicator. Redownload and let me know what you think.
Much better !

I think (I used the MMC version) that your package should have the MMC root directory as default for the books. It is not that difficult for me to change that though.

I like the full screen mode very much!

Just add PDF support with search and some "CPU throttling" :-)
and it could be the default viewer. (but without scribble function :-( )

Thanks!

P.S. As I think of it.
If possible you should include prefetch, because it takes some time now to display the next page.

Last edited by henkvdg; 04-11-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
vranghel
Addict

I just filled the form for the shell hack, then checked my mail, and there it was. It seems that last time when i requested it, i put my username instead of my email.

The program works, but i dont know the path of the book directories.
On the root of the SD i have fbreader folder, Fiction and Non-fiction folders.
What is the correct path in this situation?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Your internal documents are in /mnt/free
Documents on your SD/MMC card are /mnt/card
Document on your CompactFlash card are in /mnt/cf
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
henkvdg
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Your internal documents are in /mnt/free
Documents on your SD/MMC card are /mnt/card
Document on your CompactFlash card are in /mnt/cf

or /media/card etc.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I requested shell access weeks ago but have not heard anything from iRex.

However, as I had never updated to version 2.9.1 I decided I would do so today.

After the iLiad had completed the update I found I did have shell access and can now use the FBReader.

Perhaps you can try this. It won't hurt if there are no updates for you and you might wait forever for an email from iRex.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
vranghel
Addict

Excellent! Works great now! Thanks Adam and henk!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
vranghel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I requested shell access weeks ago but have not heard anything from iRex.

However, as I had never updated to version 2.9.1 I decided I would do so today.

After the iLiad had completed the update I found I did have shell access and can now use the FBReader.

Perhaps you can try this. It won't hurt if there are no updates for you and you might wait forever for an email from iRex.

A couple weeks ago when i wanted to try stardic, i requested a shell hack, but instead of my email address, i put in my username. Thats why i didnt receive the email. Today, in a few seconds i received the shell hack.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think they just processed a batch of requests today. I got an email from them and connected and got the shell access. Earlier this week I had tried to connect and had gotten a username/password sort of error, perhaps because there was nothing to download.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I have decided to put my FBReader application and books for it on my CF card. My SD card I will keep for PDF books.

After some initial confusion trying to find the path for the the books it seems to be working fine and is a great improvement for RTF and HTML files. Thank you very much for this Adam.

I think I prefer HTML because it can show the cover image which I now put at the beginning of all my books. I also use class headings and note that each line of these starts on a new page. Is there anything in the settings where I can correct these? Or is it because I create my books in XHTML?

I was very pleased to see an option for UTF-8 encoding which I always use.

Thank you Adam for providing us non-literate Linux users with any easy unbrickable way to experience the FBReader.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote