Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #46
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I also have an MP3 player that is over 5 years old and still works (and when I need a portable music player, that is what I use).
FWIW I have an old iPod which I've used maybe once or twice after I bought my first Windows Mobile phone almost four years ago.

Quote:
1) a reasonable sounding eBook reading device, unless of course it's a light-emitting screen, which will induce greater eye-strain to all buy the jetbook-owning population
Except that the Jetbook uses a special high contrast reflective LCD.

Speaking of which, there are of course hybrid displays on their way; 3Qi LCDs and Electrowetting both offer the promise of a reflective paper-like experience for reading along with an optional backlight for watching movies or computing in the dark.

One other note: There are at least one or two ways of making a transmissive/backlit LCD less straining. First of all you can cut out much of the background glare and improve contrast by setting the text to green or dull blue and the background to black. Then also this app seems to help quite a bit while using my computer at night.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #47
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
FWIW I have an old iPod which I've used maybe once or twice after I bought my first Windows Mobile phone almost four years ago.
My bet is that your iPod will still be as usable as day one by the time your phone becomes obsolete.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
My bet is that your iPod will still be as usable as day one by the time your phone becomes obsolete.
I'm not sure what point your making with this line of thought over and over.

A lot of us don't care if we can use something down the road. We like having the best gadget for our needs and are happy to buy a shiny new toy every few years.

I'm mean sure, if you just want a bare bones, single purpose device that just plays music, just displays plain text e-books etc.--then sure you can buy a simple device and use it for years.

But needing to upgrade devices every so often isn't an objective negative. Many of us like keeping up with technology and buying new gadgets every few years.

I'm fine with my kindle for now to just use for leisure reading at night. But I'll be stoked to be able to buy some kind of tablet along the lines of the one I outlined above. And after having that for a few years I'll be looking forward to the next gadget that does that stuff even better and adds in other cool new features.

But for this post you quoted---why would he go back to the iPod when he can just load his mp3s on every new phone he buys in the future and listen on that vs having to carry a cell phone and an MP3 player? Cell phones go everywhere with you--that's the whole point--and it's nice to not have to carry a separate gadget for music.

I'm just not following your logic here.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #49
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

- Ahi
As old as it is the built in Lithium Ion must be nearly dead by now. Plus it hardly matters since my music, which is mostly in MP3 format, will just as easily play on my next phone. And transferring is a simple matter of moving the microSD card from one to the other (or using the Sync software, since all of it is still on my computer as well).
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #50
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
As old as it is the built in Lithium Ion must be nearly dead by now. Plus it hardly matters since my music, which is mostly in MP3 format, will just as easily play on my next phone. And transferring is a simple matter of moving the microSD card from one to the other (or using the Sync software, since all of it is still on my computer as well).
I'm imagining you as a hip old grandpa in his sixties listening to his progressive rock oldies on the iPhone X. Hopefully your eyes will be good enough to make out the tiny letters on the iPhone X however many decades from now... that and you'll continue to remain fond of having to learn a new user interface every few years for accessing your increasingly more static music collection.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #51
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, what the hell? Are you some semi-luddite that hates technological advancements once you have the barebones single purpose device that suits your current needs and never want to upgrade?

People upgrade as the newer technology does things better. You're trying to talk BS like newer stuff gets worse, and harder to use--which isn't the case. And throwing out mis-information like iPhone owners having to rebuy their music when they can just re-load it.

If you don't like upgrading, fine. Stick with your devices and stay off of tech forums since you have simple devices that do what you need and you don't need to keep up with new advances.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 09-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #52
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I am happy to continue using my HP IPAQ PDA until ebook readers come down considerably in price. at this stage, I cannot justify AU$600 for a single function device even though my wife has told me to "go and get a ebook reading device".

I have read the ASUS device is going to be sub AU$200, which is more the price I, as a consumer, would be prepared to pay. Though there is no specifics about what ebook format it is going to support.

So until the magic day when readers are affordable, my trusty HP 112 classic is going to keep on doing the job!
I'm an Aussie as well, and picked up my EZ reader for $257.oo AUD from the fleamarket here.
$600 (ever $400) AUD is to much imho. Keep a look out, they are out there
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #53
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
I'm imagining you as a hip old grandpa in his sixties listening to his progressive rock oldies on the iPhone X. Hopefully your eyes will be good enough to make out the tiny letters on the iPhone X however many decades from now... that and you'll continue to remain fond of having to learn a new user interface every few years for accessing your increasingly more static music collection.

- Ahi
By the time I'm in my sixties [nearly four decades from now] I doubt phones will look anything like they do today. They might output straight to the otherwise transparent OLED in my glasses. Or at the very least feature collapsible screens.

Now I never said phones, at least as they are now, made great "books". Mine is tolerable for casual reading, though unusable for formatted documents, and even my early 20s eyes would prefer something with a larger display. It would be most excellent if that something could also do other things that would benefit from its screen real estate. Such as web browsing and note taking. Not that this device would actually replace similar functionality on my smart phone. The phone is still more convenient since I always have it with me.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #54
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Most people who would buy a reader at all will buy a dedicated one... judging by just about every other form of technology that isn't a general purpose computer.

I could be wrong... but it rather seems to me that "history" (as little of it as is relevant) mostly supports my suggestion.

Don't you think?

- Ahi
I could be wrong myself, but I really thing that there are far more people reading on multi-function devices than there are on dedicated e-readers.

Personally, what I really want is a tablet that allows me read books, surf the net, play music, and watch the occasional video. I also want it to be cheap and easy to carry.

I truly think that within 5 years there will be such a device at really low prices.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #55
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
I could be wrong myself, but I really thing that there are far more people reading on multi-function devices than there are on dedicated e-readers.
There's clearly more people with access to ebook software on multifunction devices, whether its being actively used is another matter.

Quote:
Personally, what I really want is a tablet that allows me read books, surf the net, play music, and watch the occasional video. I also want it to be cheap and easy to carry.

I truly think that within 5 years there will be such a device at really low prices.
Same sort of requirements as dmaul then, what sort of size screen would you deem suitable for the reading, surfing and videos while still fitting the easy to carry criteria though?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #56
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
(Yes, advances will have to be made in all areas from battery to CPU to display, but those advances WILL happen...
What if they do not happen? It is really mostly in the field of computers where such rapid progress is being made, but sooner or later limits will be reached.
e-Ink is a long way from displaying videos and it may never get there. With its refresh rate being so low, it is best suited for ebooks. Other displays are faster but consume more energy and are not very good for reading. It is not at all guaranteed that we will get fast e-ink like displays.

Also ebook readers are to large to use as a PDA. PDAs are too small to read.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #57
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
To each their own. Net surfing, e-mail and reading and marking up scholarly books/PDFs are my main desires for such a device as that stuff takes up a big amount of my daily life.
Sorry, but, for me, that isn't an e-book reader. Get a tablet PC with Mobipocket, Adobe Creator and Internet access and you already have it. I don't need another kind of tablet PC.

Quote:
Eyestrain is a mild concern, but I VERY rarely read for more than 30-60 minutes at a time, so it's a bit of a moot point for me. And most of the longer sessions are work reading. Leisure reading is just a couple chapters before sleeping at night as I enjoy things like TV, sports, movies, music and video games more than reading when I have free time at home.
Well, I enjoy reading, a lot, more than other things, so, for me, eyestrain and comfort for reading are the most important concerns. And it isn't related with technical evolution but with personal preferences.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #58
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
If you don't like upgrading, fine. Stick with your devices and stay off of tech forums since you have simple devices that do what you need and you don't need to keep up with new advances.
Sorry, this bookworm feels this sentence a bit annoying in a forum and comments about readings.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #59
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Quote:
This is a bit extreme! I myself come here to learn about new book readers (which are not convergent devices), new stores and authors who have seen the light. As well as enjoying the site in general. I'm not here for the latest technological advances in mobile computing in general.

I may upgrade my 505, I may not for several years, but when I do it will be with another book reader.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #60
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Same sort of requirements as dmaul then, what sort of size screen would you deem suitable for the reading, surfing and videos while still fitting the easy to carry criteria though?
9" or 10" would work for me if its thin and light. I have a brief case or book bag with me most of the time, so it doesn't ahve to be super small. Just preferably not as heavy as a tablet pc or laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry, but, for me, that isn't an e-book reader. Get a tablet PC with Mobipocket, Adobe Creator and Internet access and you already have it. I don't need another kind of tablet PC.
I want something smaller and lighter than current tablet PCs. Think something like a 10" iPhone but with stylus support. No keyboard etc.

If you don't need it, that's fine. Keep you're reader. On reason to be hostile to those of us who'd rather have a multifunction tablet rather than a dedicated reader and a tablet PC.

Quote:
Well, I enjoy reading, a lot, more than other things, so, for me, eyestrain and comfort for reading are the most important concerns. And it isn't related with technical evolution but with personal preferences.
Agreed. It's just based on what each person needs/wants. I just get annoyed on this site as so many people are just, bluntly put, fanboys of e-ink readers and get very defensive when people talk about preferring a good multifunction device to read on. I guess they worry such devices will kill off dedicated e-ink readers or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
This is a bit extreme! I myself come here to learn about new book readers (which are not convergent devices), new stores and authors who have seen the light. As well as enjoying the site in general. I'm not here for the latest technological advances in mobile computing in general.

I may upgrade my 505, I may not for several years, but when I do it will be with another book reader.

You're fine. You weren't like ahi posting in a thread about what people want in the future and being very hostile to people who are very in to technological advances and really want a multifunction tablet like the rumored Apple device to come out.

I apologize for the bookworm remark--just had a long couple of days and got irritated. I don't care if people just love reading and just want a simple e-ink device like current readers. It just gets annoying when someone like ahi is so hostile to those who want something that does more as we like to read but aren't avid readers and need other functions more.