Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #61
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
BTW, the K2 is still over priced. Shave off another $50 and I think they hit a sweet spot where the wireless is the difference maker for a lot of folks. Still will not be buying another Kindle until the displays improve in terms of the dingy grey background. If it was not grey but rather more of a parchment color (you know that sort of pale yellow/brown) I would have an easier time using it. In fact that is the color I have my TFT readers set to use. I know it's weird but it works for me....I can read for HOURS with that background.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #62
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
So here's my question. Since some of you say the Kindle is (still) overpriced, what about the 505? I don't recall seeing complaints about it's high price. Shouldn't it be $100-150?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #63
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
So here's my question. Since some of you say the Kindle is (still) overpriced, what about the 505? I don't recall seeing complaints about it's high price. Shouldn't it be $100-150?
I think the Sony 505 is overpriced by $50; its suggested retail price should be $249. People readily spend $200 to $250 for music players and I think that is an acceptable price for an ebook reading device.

As far as I am concerned, the Kindle should be the same price, that is, $249. Its advantage is Whispernet (BTW, Sprint/Nextel is still bleeding customers and so is now plans to outsource network management to save some money.), but that is only an advantage to those who care about the Amazon bookstore and wireless access to it.

OTOH, Sony's ergonomics are better (in my opinion) and the device itself is more attractive (again, in my opinion; I really dislike the Kindle's keyboard). In addition, Sony offers a better format choice with the relowable PDF (even if it doesn't work perfectly) and the ability to read ePub, both DRMed and DRM-free.

So I think the 2 devices -- Kindle 2 and Sony 505 -- both should be at $249.

BUT, what I would really like to see is more competition among retailers to sell both devices at various prices. I suspect that Sony greatly restricts the amount of discounting retailers can do; it shouldn't. If a retailer wants to sell the device at $5 over cost, the retailer should be able to do so. similarly, Amazon restricts the price by simply not letting anyone else sell the Kindle. I think if Amazon wants to be a manufacturer, it should manufacture the Kindle and let anyone who wants to sell it at whatever price point the retailer wants do so. Then prices would settle where the market really thinks they should be.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #64
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't see the Kindle and the 505 as being in the same class, so I don't see them as needing to be equal in price. Even without Whispernet, the Kindle 2 has features the 505 doesn't (dictionary, note taking, TTS, more font sizes). The 505 can read more formats natively and aside from PDF support (for some), I don't think that is enough to justify it's cost.

Of course, for me, the question of ergonomics is opposite from yours because I love the buttons and the keyboard.

Kindle 2 and the 700 are closer in class than the K2 and 505 (IMO).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #65
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think Kindle must be available for FREE - the same as BlackBerry available for free with 2 years T-mobile or AT&T contract. If you spend $30-$40 per month (it must be in contract) to purchase ebooks from Amazon it must be enough to cover the cost of Kindle hardware and still get some profit. I will not be surprised if Amazon will start sell it for free (with contract) in the future.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #66
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, a lot of people recently got a 505 for $199 in the Border's sale, as did I. I think that is the right price for the 505 and at that price point it's the "best buy" in e-readers. Sony should make that cut the official MSRP.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #67
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'm not really impressed.
If the Kindle would go for $199,Sony and all others would have a hard time, but as the situation now is,I'd still prefer any other brand over the kindle.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #68
Asphodel
Asphodel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Another successful refund here, I ordered my K2 on June 24th and called this evening (actually, I clicked the little button to have Amazon call me - no waiting on hold) and in less than five minutes the issue was resolved.

This has only increased my satisfaction with Amazon and the Kindle, I have to say.
Asphodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #69
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That settles it, I'm buying one for my Grandma! My mom already has a K2, she loves it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #70
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

some numbers...

http://www.tmcnet.com/ce/articles/59...e-2-prices.htm

And with the price cut, analysts appear optimistic of Amazon’s Kindle sales. For example, Sandeep Aggarwal, an Internet research analyst at Collins Stewart, said in a report this week that the Kindle would generate $310 million in revenue and $70 million in profit this year for Amazon, according to the New York Times. The company’s revenue is projected to grow to $2 billion and $560 million in profit by 2012, the report said.

As TMCnet reported, Google said it plans to introduce a program of its own that would let publishers sell digital versions of their newest books direct to consumers. The company held discussions with publishers about entering the e-book market at the annual BookExpo convention in New York to test the waters.

Start-up Pixel Qi (News - Alert) is another playing looking to capture market share from Amazon with its 3qi device. The new notebooks, which include e-reader functions, will likely feature displays that can swivel around to cover the keyboard and a tablet mode ideal for e-book readers, TMCnet reported.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #71
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Once the Ez Reader Pocket Pro comes out with a $200 price point, it's going to take the competition away from Sony and Amazon. It seems that 200 is the sweet spot for most people.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #72
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
BTW, the K2 is still over priced. Shave off another $50 and I think they hit a sweet spot where the wireless is the difference maker for a lot of folks. Still will not be buying another Kindle until the displays improve in terms of the dingy grey background. If it was not grey but rather more of a parchment color (you know that sort of pale yellow/brown) I would have an easier time using it. In fact that is the color I have my TFT readers set to use. I know it's weird but it works for me....I can read for HOURS with that background.
I agree. Had the Kindle been in the $199-249 range I might have considered it, but I felt that $359 was way too much. I still feel that $299 is too much. Especially when you consider the price of the books. I know they are supposedly the cheapest place for books, but its still an additional cost. Not to mention the cost of a cover. I don't understand why something that price wouldn't include a cover. I got my Sony for $100 cheaper than the Kindle was at the time and it included a nice cover. I was able to spend that extra $100 on books.

[QUOTE=rhadin;518496]I think the Sony 505 is overpriced by $50; its suggested retail price should be $249. People readily spend $200 to $250 for music players and I think that is an acceptable price for an ebook reading device.

If you look hard enough, you can find several 505s for around $250. Sony seems to have sales and promotions more often than Kindle does. This was the first time I heard of any type of discounted price on the Kindle.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #73
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
INot to mention the cost of a cover. I don't understand why something that price wouldn't include a cover.
I agree. With the high price of the reader itself, you'd think they could spring for the cover. Esp when they charge an extra 40-50 bucks for it, when it only actually costs about 3-5 dollars worth of materials/labor.

Astak actually includes a solidly built cover with their readers, which is another plus they have going for them.

Now, if Amazon actually dropped their price to 250, and included a hard cover for the Kindle, they might actually get more sales. Heck, if they opened up and allowed the unit to read more formats, they'd get even more sales.

Too bad that will most likely never happen on its own. They will soon have to adjust to the rising tide of the smaller companies who will slowly take up their market share.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #74
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Heck, if they opened up and allowed the unit to read more formats, they'd get even more sales.
I think they will never do it because they want make money selling ebooks for Kindle and don't want their competitors make profit on it.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #75
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I think they will never do it because they want make money selling ebooks for Kindle and don't want their competitors make profit on it.
I don't understand that way of thinking.

"Selling 25,000 Kindle books/month"
vs
"Selling 100,000 ebooks/month"

Which one do you think would make them more money?