Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Chaaang
Chaaang began at the beginning.

Device: amazon paperwhite
Cannot run calibre-debug -g

unknown locale: UTF-8`

Hello.

I have managed to successfully install Calibre on my RMBP in the normal dmg way.

When I try to run the commands 'calibre-debug -g', I get the output: `ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8`
https://pastebin.com/przZsvdg

If anyone can help point me in the right direction so that I can continue to figure out how to be involved in Calibre development.

thanks.
Chaaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
What is a RMBP?

What operating system are you using?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
What is a RMBP?

What operating system are you using?

bernie
@gbm - pretty safe bet it's OSX

RMBP = Retina MacBook Pro, and dmg = disk image (files), which are an Apple ISO like artefact

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It looks like one of your locale related environment variables is set incorrectly. Try running it with

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 calibre-debug -g
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:33 AM   #5
Chaaang

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It looks like one of your locale related environment variables is set incorrectly. Try running it with

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 calibre-debug -g
sry, but I got the same error,
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably you also need to set LC_ALL, see for example https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...o-utf8-how-fix
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
Chaaang

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Probably you also need to set LC_ALL, see for example https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...o-utf8-how-fix
I fix this after I add the follow code into my shell(zsh) config (~/.zshrc)

```bash
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
```

It worked well.

thanks, really.

And I can't figure out how this things get work, In the same OS, I can run calibre without add anything to my config, How?