Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #571
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I am nearly half way through Audition by Murakami and enjoying it, even though I am finding the writing a little basic (may be a problem in translation?). I have a strong sense of deja vu whilst reading it - I think I may have seen the film (assuming there is one...Google up next, I think).
Audition (1999 film)

I haven't seen the film. I've read a few Japanese authors, and often the text is spare. Soseki comes to mind for that.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #572
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Sounds interesting, but what is it supposed to do? I just did a test and it still showed the text between the noparse statements in plain view.
It allows you to include square brackets in your post to demonstrate the codes without the board interpreting them. Like HarryT did in that post with the [noparse][/noparse] tags. And I just did there. (Although how does it know which one of those is the real closing tag?) So you could demonstrate the [spoiler]hidden text here[/spoiler] tags without it actually turning into a spoiler.

Also, the other way to find out how to do anything is to quote a message that does it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #573
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It allows you to include square brackets in your post to demonstrate the codes without the board interpreting them. Like HarryT did in that post with the [noparse][/noparse] tags. And I just did there. (Although how does it know which one of those is the real closing tag?) So you could demonstrate the [spoiler]hidden text here[/spoiler] tags without it actually turning into a spoiler.

Also, the other way to find out how to do anything is to quote a message that does it.
Ah! Get it now, thanks. Useful little trick for the future.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #574
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Audition (1999 film)

I haven't seen the film. I've read a few Japanese authors, and often the text is spare. Soseki comes to mind for that.
Thanks, I did find it after my last post. I'm almost certain I've seen it.

Finished the book. It was indeed sparse writing, and the ending was rather abrupt, but it was a fun and an easy read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #575
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
ISo next year i think I should track the number of pages read because right now I feel slightly ridiculous with my 36 books among you guys.....
Don't go comparing yourself to others. Some of us have more time to read or listen to books.
Quote:
Do you know whether there is a nice goodreads tracker to use on other pages ? Looked for it but can't seem to find one...
If you make sure that you have a 'read date' for each book in Goodreads, click on stats (upper right). It will divvy up your books by year read, sorted by rating. You will see covers of all the books you read in each year, a pie chart of the top 10 shelves sorted by your shelf choices, total pages read (each year) and a publication date diagram. It's an interesting section, especially to see what you've been doing over a few years.

Test spoiler
Spoiler:

this is a test spoiler
- line one
- line two
- line three

Last edited by Tarana; 12-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #576
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thanks so much for the tips. My little spoiler thingy worked!

Even though I completed my challenge, I'm trying to finish up 'books started' in 2013 through the end of the year. I tend towards startupitis, which is encouraged by having so many devices, both ereader and Ipod. I'm down to 7 that I started and didn't finish for various reasons this year. Most were book club selections. A couple weren't finished because I misplaced the device that they were on (ipod nano) and have since found. One I'm switching from audio to ebook since the library has an electronic version of it. Some books just don't work so well as audio for me. Too many characters and I just get lost. One I decided just to stop reading - it just wasn't interesting enough to keep trying to slog through it.

Books Yet to Finish This Year

Spoiler:
Case Histories - Kate Atkinson (Dec.) DONE
Terminal Freeze - Lincoln Child
The Grilling Season - Diane Mott Davidson DONE
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb (Dec.)
Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Philly Stakes - Gillian Roberts
Where'd You Go Bernadette - Maria Semple (Dec.)
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
Frost at Christmas - R D Wingfeld (Dec.)

Dec. -book club selections for December.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #577
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Wait..what!?! And yet another book finds its way on my impossibly long TBR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Ditto. I just wishlisted it. Sounds to bizarre to pass up!
Quote:
Okay, I added Doughnut to my potential read list and it might fit the bill for this year's reading challenge for the 2013 entry.
Quote:
Thank you for that link. I've read many of Mr Holt's works, and very much enjoyed them, including the first four of the J. W. Wells & Co. series. I have fallen behind, not realising there are now another three to catch up on.
Bad (?) news, you lot: I just finished If It's a Jar - Tom Holt's latest book, and the sequel to Doughnut. I also strongly recommend reading Valhalla before hitting this one. (I can't tell yet whether The Outsorcerer's Apprentice, due in July, will continue the saga or not.)

Caveat: I had trouble downloading this through both Kobo and Diesel. If/when you buy IIAJ as an ebook, please be kind enough to let me know what store you went through.

ETA: Having just finished that, I'm about to start my 150th book of the year, which will complete my 2013 challenge: Simon R. Green's Spirits from Beyond (Ghost Finders #4). Urban fantasy, rather not a comedy despite the occasional example of dark humor.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 12-23-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #578
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Lol. I'm not tempted. I'm more tempted to go back and read Who's Afraid of Beowulf.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #579
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
^Lol. I'm not tempted. I'm more tempted to go back and read Who's Afraid of Beowulf.
That's a fun one. But then, most of his (except the historical stuff) are...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #580
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Making a last attempt to make it close to my goal, however I have a week to read fifteen books and I don't think I can do that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #581
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Making a last attempt to make it close to my goal, however I have a week to read fifteen books and I don't think I can do that.
I'm in the same boat!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #582
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Four books and 7 days remaining. And now that holiday preparations are mostly finished, I should have enough time to read!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #583
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I like that avatar Nyssa. Maybe I will look for a new avatar.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #584
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I like that avatar Nyssa. Maybe I will look for a new avatar.
Thank you! Alaspace added the Santa Hat for me.

I will be looking choosing a new one for the new year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #585
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just added a few more completed to my list, made it to 114 and will probably finish a couple more before the end of the years since I'll be home. I didn't do as many audiobooks this year. I normally listen to them in the car, but for some reason, music was holding my interest there this year.

I'm reading Michael R. Hick's series "In Her Name" now, which Fantastic Fiction describes as "epic futuristic fantasy trilogy", though the series now seems to be up to six books.

The first book is "Empire", and Amazon is currently offering the Kindle version free: http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Redempt...ds=in+her+name

Quote:
EMPIRE is the coming-of-age story of Reza Gard, a young boy of the Human Confederation who is swept up in the century-long war with the alien Kreelan Empire. Nightmarish female warriors with blue skin, fangs, and razor sharp talons, the Kreelans have technology that is millennia beyond that of the Confederation, yet they seek out close combat with sword and claw, fighting and dying to honor their god-like Empress.

Captured and enslaved, Reza must live like his enemies in a grand experiment to see if humans have souls, and if one may be the key to unlocking an ages old curse upon the Kreelan race. Enduring the brutal conditions of Kreelan life, Reza and a young warrior named Esah-Zhurah find themselves bound together by fate and a prophecy foretold millennia before they were born.
I normally avoid the "coming-of-age" type stories like the plague, but this one is done well in that the story jumps ahead years at a time, starting when Reza is about seven and his parents are in the military defending their planet against the Kreelan, so there's no year-by-year recitation. I like the characters; they've got some complexity to them and the story is well-told. I don't know that I would label it fantasy - seems to be more scifi/military scifi to me. Esah-Zhurah is his keeper, since humans are considered "animals", so it's not one of those "two young outcasts banding together" types of stories, which is more typical of fantasy stories.

The author also has another series, The Harvest Trilogy, and Amazon is also offering the first book in that series, "Season of the Harvest", free: http://www.amazon.com/Season-Harvest...chael+r.+hicks

Quote:
At a genetics lab where a revolutionary strain of corn is being developed, FBI Special Agent Jack Dawson's best friend and fellow agent is brutally murdered, his body torn apart.

Jack is convinced that Naomi Perrault, a beautiful geneticist and suspected terrorist, is behind the murder. But when Jack is framed for setting off a bomb that devastates the FBI lab in Quantico, Naomi becomes Jack's only hope of survival.

Confronted by the terrifying truth of what the genetically engineered seeds stolen by his friend are truly for and who is really behind them, Jack joins Naomi in a desperate fight across half the globe to save humanity from extermination...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote