Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
I will buy it for the new epaper (resolution / contrast) alone, but disappointed in the lack of physical page turn buttons. Hopefully I can get used to that. Wish there was a black color and SD card as well but I can live with it...

Looks like they didn't change the software much so should be pretty easily rootable... (hopefully)
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #47
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Urgh - just realized that if there is no SD card then it might not be as easy to root. Hope the crew at XDA tap it right away...
Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #48
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Interesting if it has an SD card internally?
At least then perhaps it can be replaced by a 32 GB and that ridiculous 500 MB partition expanded to 28 GB instead

Anyway, this new Nook represents everything what I hate:
1. No buttons
2. Glowing screen (completely unnecessary, I blame B&N for pioneering it)
3. No SD card

If T3 were rooted - it would be just perfect.
For now, rooted T2 is the best reader for sure. I don't feel a lack of resolution.
And I own an Aura HD too - which is getting better too, now it already has Cool Reader 3. But it will never have buttons ....

I think maybe it is a good time to get a Nook ST just in case, while there are still normal readers available with all 3 of my conditions satisfied.

BTW, I hate this term "sideloading". It has a bad connotation.
Uploading books via USB is the main and most natural way to do it.
You want to have full control what and where you are uploading.
Also you don't want various stores to delete your legally bought books if they feel like it.
Or just to snoop around.

Last edited by parkher; 10-30-2013 at 10:48 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I think maybe it is a good time to get a Nook ST just in case, while there are still normal readers available with all 3 of my conditions satisfied.
Want to trade a nook STR for a nook Glowlight? I have a nook STR that's hardly used, never rooted and has page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #50
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I like the look of this new nook. Kudos for them with going with white and retaining the unique look.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #51
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Anyway, this new Nook represents everything what I hate:
1. No buttons
2. Glowing screen (completely unnecessary, I blame B&N for pioneering it)
3. No SD card

If T3 were rooted - it would be just perfect.
For now, rooted T2 is the best reader for sure.
Agree with 1 and 3 - I would get some use out of 2 actually (although I'm usually just fine with my clip-on light).

What is a T3 and a T2? Interested in anything that I can Dropsync with Epub on. Not necessarily tied to the Nook...
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #52
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I loved the 1st generation Nook
I loved the Simple Touch (thought it was sooooo ugly at first, but it was soooo convenient to hold without a cover!)
I didn't love the first Nook Glow (screen contrast, or rather text saturation not as good as the non-Glow STR)

It can go either way with this one! It all comes down to how good the screen is.
As much as I like white devices, I do remeber when I tried a White Kobo Touch a couple of years ago I had to sell it becasue the white bezel played tricks with my perception of contrast. I'm afraid that could happen now as well. The light should help, but I really need to hold it in my hands and see for myself! Preferably with my trusted Simple Touch beside it for comparison!

(The 1st generation Nook was white and pretty but had a thin black edge around the screen, and that was enough to get that right perception of contrast for me)

Edit: WHAT??????? 500 MB for sideloaded content and that's it???? When I saw it didn't have an sd card I took for granted that the internal storage would be large enough. But NOOOOOOO... OK, for ME that is enough since I don't keep my library on the device, but I completely understand that it's not enough for many!!

Last edited by Asawi; 10-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
What is a T3 and a T2?
The PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 are last years and this years Sony Readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Agree with 1 and 3 - I would get some use out of 2 actually (although I'm usually just fine with my clip-on light).

What is a T3 and a T2? Interested in anything that I can Dropsync with Epub on. Not necessarily tied to the Nook...

The T2 and T3 refer to Sony e-readers there is a T1 also. They are all pretty good and the T1 and T2 will be available on e-bay (some T2 in Sony for clearance possibly). The T3 has only just been launched. They all have a micro SD card expansion capacity and will display EPUB files well.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #55
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use a clip-on light on Aura HD even though it has a very high quality integrated frontlight. Because for me clip-on light quality is so much better. It does not hurt eyes and retains the impression of real paper.

Quote:
Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 are three Sony android readers.
T1 and T2 were successfully rooted (but latest firmware revisions of T2 no longer rootable). T3 was not rooted and there is no much desire to root it because T2 is already a very good reader.

So T2 is similar to Nook ST but better built, better screen, better form factor, not so rubbery, etc.
The screen whiteness (including the hue of the white color) and contrast of T2 is the same as of Aura HD - I like it very much.

As to Dropsync - I can't answer this, because I am using rooted readers where the book indexing / DB is deliberately switched off (for speed, in order to handle large numbers of books without waiting) because I am using Cool Reader with its own built-in file manager and built-in list of recent books.

However, Dropsync might be possible in two ways: either supported by Sony, or even if not - when rooted you have an open android and perhaps there are applications that can be installed to support it.

Last edited by parkher; 10-30-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #56
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Strange that BN has decided to drop 2 of the features that set them apart from the competition, namely the page turn buttons and the SD card slot. Most of my books are sideloaded and, although 500MB is quite a reasonable space, I'd rather have the 2.5GB to assign as I see fit. As it is, 2GB would pretty much go to waste.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #57
parkher
Evangelist

If it has an SD card internally, it should be possible to replace it with a larger one and to expand that 500 MB partition.
But does it?
It is routinely done on various Kobo readers: you make the raw image of the card, then write that image to a larger card and then you get all the original partitions + unused space, then you expand that 500 MB partition. And you still have the original card if something went wrong.
So it would be interesting to open that new Nook and to look inside it.

On Aura HD and other Kobo readers, the original card may be replaced with up to 32 GB card.
You only better use the fastest card you can get, do not replace the original card with a much slower one.

Last edited by parkher; 10-30-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #58
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Strange that BN has decided to drop 2 of the features that set them apart from the competition, namely the page turn buttons and the SD card slot. Most of my books are sideloaded and, although 500MB is quite a reasonable space, I'd rather have the 2.5GB to assign as I see fit. As it is, 2GB would pretty much go to waste.
Why is it strange? Its obvious it was done to stay competitive on price. $119 is a great price on a new release like this.You really do not need those two things. You can hold a couple thousand books, side loaded or bn purchases it doesnt matter, the fact is thats enough books to last two lifetimes. I just cant understand why this is such an issue for people. I guess people feel its somehow a benefit. It really isnt. By the time you may need it you will be in the market for a new reader.

As for the buttons....its just not needed any longer. Its one less thing to break,the device is lighter and more affordable. It make perfect business sense imo. Most devices like this are going buttonless get used to it.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #59
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't get what's going on at BN page though. How can people review it already? Have they actually used the device before posting reviews??
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #60
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Have they actually used the device before posting reviews??
That's never stopped a lot of online reviewers in the past.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote