Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
CdnFlyer
CdnFlyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch Locked up

Kobo Touch Frozen

While my Touch was updating, my granddaughter unplugged the USB cable. The battery condition was almost fully charged at this point as well.

The unit is frozen, with an hour glass symbol on the screen, and the word, 'Updating' in English and multiple languages on the screen.

With the USB cable connected, the green LED is on, and the Desktop shows the normal menu functions, EXCEPT the eReader tab is grayed out, inoperative.

I tried to do a Basic Reset, and no result.

When I slide the on/off switch to power up, sometimes, the blue LED flashes on for about 1 second, then goes off.

I am totally locked out of the reader......help !!!

I sent an email to Kobo, but so far no response from them, I just love it when people do their jobs..... and I am being sarcastic.

Thanks for any suggestions that come my way.

Bill
CdnFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Try a button factory reset. Make sure it's fully charged, then:

1. Hold the power button down for about 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

2. Hold down the home button and power the device on while keeping it held down. This should force a factory reset.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

I suspect that you'll need to contact Kobo regarding a replacement unit. That one is probably toast now.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
CdnFlyer
CdnFlyer began at the beginning.

I finally gave up waiting for Kobo to email me back, so I called their support number. The gentleman on the other end advised the unit was still under warrnaty, and we but also we could try a Factory Reset. I tried this several times with the gent on the phone with no luck, so he was going to escalate the situation to Tier 2 at Kobo. I continued to try the Factor Reset on my own, with and without the USB cable attached, During the last two days that my eReader has not been operational, it must have locked in the ON state, reducing the battery voltage to the point where the display was constant, but not enough power to activate the internal operating system. With the USB cable connected, it got to a point where there was enough battery power to actually allow the Reset to function.....this is my suspicion, anyway.

The unit reset, and is now operational, so I am back with a functional reader again.

Meeera and JedV, thanks for responding. I believe the battery voltage was low enough to prevent the unit from actually firing up, even though I had initially started out with a fully charged battery at the time of the lock up.

Thanks again,

Bill
CdnFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyer View Post
During the last two days that my eReader has not been operational, it must have locked in the ON state, reducing the battery voltage to the point where the display was constant
Actually, it needs no power to keep the display going; this is frankly one of thge big pluses (as well as big challenges) of e-Ink displays. It does make it next to impossible to tell if the unit has crashed or is out of power, as the screen will always display the last thing you were looking at.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert