Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #1
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy Kindle not saving reading position if custom font is used

Has anyone experienced this?

In all my kf8 format books converted in calibre, if I'm using a custom font and I exit from the book and return to it, the kindle jumps and skips to the next chapter.

But if I'm using one of the default fonts, it acts as expected.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which firmware version are you running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which firmware version are you running?
5.13.5 on PW3, but this bug precedes this new firmware update. It drives me nuts that no one else seems to experience this, and I was actually hopeful that the new update might fix it but that's not the case!
Old 03-19-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
5.13.5 on PW3, but this bug precedes this new firmware update. It drives me nuts that no one else seems to experience this, and I was actually hopeful that the new update might fix it but that's not the case!
Do you know which firmware you were running when you first experienced this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
What is the custom font that you are using? I seem to recall that someone had a similar issue that was related to the custom font installed on the device. They didn't have to be using the problematic font, it just had to be present. Maybe try removing all custom fonts except for Jon's ChareInk font, as that seems to be proven to work for everyone else. Also, make sure that you reboot after removing the fonts.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #6
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know which firmware you were running when you first experienced this?
I'm positive that I have gone through two updates expecting it to be fixed, so I don't know to what firmware that would translate to.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What is the custom font that you are using? I seem to recall that someone had a similar issue that was related to the custom font installed on the device. They didn't have to be using the problematic font, it just had to be present. Maybe try removing all custom fonts except for Jon's ChareInk font, as that seems to be proven to work for everyone else. Also, make sure that you reboot after removing the fonts.

Shari
I've troubleshot several times with many fonts.

Having the custom fonts installed, but selecting any of the default fonts, the reading position is saved.
But selecting any custom font, and then exiting the books the reading position is not retained (I can literally see the progress percentage on the cover of a book jump from say 4% to 18% upon returning to the homepage).
Old 03-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've troubleshot several times with many fonts.

Having the custom fonts installed, but selecting any of the default fonts, the reading position is saved.
But selecting any custom font, and then exiting the books the reading position is not retained (I can literally see the progress percentage on the cover of a book jump from say 4% to 18% upon returning to the homepage).
Ok...but have you done as I proposed, and removed all fonts custom fonts from the device completely, rebooting the device, and then adding back ChareInk, which is known to work well on Kindles?

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 03-19-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok...but have you done as I proposed, and removed all fonts custom fonts from the device completely, rebooting the device, and then adding back ChareInk, which is known to work well on Kindles?

Shari
Just did it, same problem. I recorded the behaviour, look at what I'm dealing with here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsm8eavfnx...14644.mov?dl=0
Old 03-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Just did it, same problem. I recorded the behaviour, look at what I'm dealing with here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsm8eavfnx...14644.mov?dl=0
Have you tried doing a factory reset, and then only adding one custom font (preferably one that is known to work correctly) to see if it still happens?

Shari
Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I just did a test with my Kindle running the latest 5.13.5 firmware. I sideloaded a public domain AZW3 file created using calibre from here and also added the ChareInk Weight-Hinted v1.1 font from here. After opening the book and selecting the font I was able to go in and out of the book without the reading position changing.

I suggest you try the same book and font to see if they work for you. That will help to narrow down whether the problem is specific to your device.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #12
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Have you tried doing a factory reset, and then only adding one custom font (preferably one that is known to work correctly) to see if it still happens?

Shari
I have! Also de-registered and re-registered the device, didn't work either. Talked to support through chat, but they were very robotic and unhelpful.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:31 AM   #13
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I just did a test with my Kindle running the latest 5.13.5 firmware. I sideloaded a public domain AZW3 file created using calibre from here and also added the ChareInk Weight-Hinted v1.1 font from here. After opening the book and selecting the font I was able to go in and out of the book without the reading position changing.

I suggest you try the same book and font to see if they work for you. That will help to narrow down whether the problem is specific to your device.
I appreciate your time, that book was actually locked to the ember font. Whenever I would change the font, it would still display the ember font no matter what actual font was selected.

EDIT: I did try another AZW3 here and it exhibited the same behaviour.

Last edited by raghiid; 03-20-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I appreciate your time, that book was actually locked to the ember font. Whenever I would change the font, it would still display the ember font no matter what actual font was selected.
Oops. Sorry.

Quote:
I did try another AZW3 here and it exhibited the same behaviour.
By "same behaviour" I assume you mean it jumps ahead each time you open it.

I cannot replicate that problem on my Kindle Oasis. I loaded that book and set the font to Charink. I am able to open and close it without it changing the location within the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
By "same behaviour" I assume you mean it jumps ahead each time you open it.
Yes.

Welp, looks like I'm sticking with Palatino.

Tags
font