Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Marvin 3 is on the way!

Cannot wait. Sounds like its a really major update. I had all but given up on seeing anything more for Marvin but am happy to have been wrong!

I'm not signing up for the beta, I'm too erratic, but it seems it wont be that long til release

Happy, me.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
In case anyone else was wondering, this is where Marvin 3.0 is announced:

http://blog.appstafarian.com/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Actually, there's already a thread started by kguil about Marvin 3.0 in the Marvin sub-forum yesterday earlier.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I completely forgot that there was a Marvin forum.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
These are exciting times! Marvin 3 in beta, Bookmaster developing an iPhone app on schedule for release by end of June, and Hyphen 2 beta supposedly imminent. An embarrassment of riches!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
These are exciting times! Marvin 3 in beta, Bookmaster developing an iPhone app on schedule for release by end of June, and Hyphen 2 beta supposedly imminent. An embarrassment of riches!

What is Bookmaster?
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hyphen was an okay reader but since I'm beta testing Marvin 3 I know kguil has no competition at this point.

I can't wait for its release!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
Hyphen was an okay reader but since I'm beta testing Marvin 3 I know kguil has no competition at this point.

I can't wait for its release!
I'm psyched about Marvin 3 as well. The reason I stopped using it is because the page-turn options made me dizzy, and turning off the animations resulted in a jarring flash (which Hyphen has as well). I'm hoping that's been resolved in Marvin 3.

BookMaster is an iPad-only app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/book...860180350?mt=8

There's a MobileRead thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36#post3319536

It's really quite nice and has been my main iPad reading app. The developer is now working on an iPhone version.

I am eager to see the next iterations of Marvin, BookMaster and Hyphen. If reports are accurate, it may be a tough choice
Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BookMaster is an iPad-only app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/book...860180350?mt=8

There's a MobileRead thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36#post3319536
I think the best introduction to BookMaster is now its own website: https://www.maplepop.com/bm/

I'm looking forward to a healthy competition among these reader apps. If one reader ever dominates completely the landscape, it will be bad for all of us. For the bargain price of a few bucks each, keep the better ones alive so that there are always viable choices, then the better developers and the users will all win.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #10
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I think the best introduction to BookMaster is now its own website: https://www.maplepop.com/bm/

I'm looking forward to a healthy competition among these reader apps. If one reader ever dominates completely the landscape, it will be bad for all of us. For the bargain price of a few bucks each, keep the better ones alive so that there are always viable choices, then the better developers and the users will all win.

I would say Kindle is the dominant reader. Most people don't care about what we do. Casual readers will fire up the Kindle app and read. I like customizable options.

Competition is good for all of us, true. I'm rooting for the little guys. 😃
Old 06-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
I think it depends on the user. Everyone's needs are different.

I tested both Marvin 3 and Hyphen 1.2 (beta), and Hyphen 1.2 meets my needs better than Marvin 3. BookMaster/MapleRead is also worth a look. Choice is good!

Last edited by odamizu; 06-21-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
I think it depends on the user. Everyone's needs are different.
Choice is good!
I agree 100%!

I have over 1000 books on Marvin 2. I think M2 is great for loading, storing, organizing and finding my books. M2 has also been my main ebook reader.

However, I'm also beta testing Hyphen 1.2 now. I'm leaning towards Hyphen for the actual ebook reading.

So, I might keep using Marvin 2 for it's great ebook library management finesse, but do the actual reading with Hyphen 1.2.
The iPad makes it two-tap easy to "Share -> Send" a book I want to read from Marvin to Hyphen.

I can use the best features of two outstanding readers.
Or ... I might pick just one ... choice is good but it can be confusing.

Of course, when time allows, I'll have to play with the in-app-purchase version of Marvin 3!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post

So, I might keep using Marvin 2 for it's great ebook library management finesse, but do the actual reading with Hyphen 1.2.
The iPad makes it two-tap easy to "Share -> Send" a book I want to read from Marvin to Hyphen.
Good heavens. You know, it has never occurred to me to do anything like this. What a great idea. Some books just work better in one reader than another.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
cedhax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Good heavens. You know, it has never occurred to me to do anything like this. What a great idea. Some books just work better in one reader than another.
I am really surprised to hear that! Since iOS introduced "Open In..." in 2010, I have routinely used multiple apps leveraging this iOS feature. But IMHO, this is far from ideal. For example, if you organize your books in app A, but choose to read a book in app B via "Open In..." and take notes, then how do you merge back the notes into app A? Probably you can in some cases, but is it worth the trouble?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I am really surprised to hear that! Since iOS introduced "Open In..." in 2010, I have routinely used multiple apps leveraging this iOS feature. But IMHO, this is far from ideal. For example, if you organize your books in app A, but choose to read a book in app B via "Open In..." and take notes, then how do you merge back the notes into app A? Probably you can in some cases, but is it worth the trouble?
After I've finished reading a book in Marvin, I no longer need bookmarks, highlights and notes; I simply mark it as "Read". That's my process; I read for pleasure and don't re-read.

So, if I change the process and read in App B (Hyphen), all I have to do is mark the book "Read" in App A (Marvin).

As odamizu said: "Everyone's needs are different."
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote