Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2021, 03:19 AM   #616
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes, but if you want to use the new dark mode toggle get the one in post 555 of this thread. Not sure if geek has updated the release version yet.
Thank you very much.

Dark mode works in ereader/book screen but not in Main/home screen. is that how it works? I am using a Libra. If i enable dark mode in main/homescreen nothing changes in it but ereader/book screen turns in to dark mode.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:37 AM   #617
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Thank you very much.

Dark mode works in ereader/book screen but not in Main/home screen. is that how it works? I am using a Libra. If i enable dark mode in main/homescreen nothing changes in it but ereader/book screen turns in to dark mode.
Yes dark mode affects only the book, nothing else. Some prefer this over the old invert method which affects everything while some prefer the invert method. You can have both in your configuration file. There’s a post somewhere which goes into detail about what happens when you enable both (it’s nothing bad) I just forget where. I think it gives you the reverse of dark mode in books, but don’t hold me to that. I just use dark mode as I prefer not to have to mess around with inverting book covers to have them display properly.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #618
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
This is the message @MGlitch refers to in the previous reply about the combined effects of both the new Dark Mode and the old invert-screen mode:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35&postcount=7
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #619
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello hello, I am new to Nickel Menu, which is just awesome, kudos to the dev!!

I have one question. I managed to create my config that enable/disable dark_mode. However, for it to take effect (when I toggle off or on the dark mode), I literally have to reboot my Forma (under 4.26) for it to take effect. Did I miss anything?

Below my config file.

Code:
#   menu_item      :<location>      :<label>      :<action>      :<arg>
menu_item      :main      :Jeux - Unblock it      :nickel_extras      :unblock_it
menu_item      :main      :Jeux - Solitaire      :nickel_extras      :solitaire
menu_item      :main      :Jeux - Sudoku      :nickel_extras      :sudoku
menu_item      :main      :Extinction      :power      :shutdown
menu_item      :main      :Redemarrer      :power      :reboot
menu_item      :main      :Veille      :power      :sleep

#   menu_item      :<reader>      :<label>      :<action>      :<arg>
menu_item      :reader      :Inverser Ecran      :nickel_setting      :enable      :dark_mode
menu_item      :reader      :Inverser Ecran off      :nickel_setting      :disable      :dark_mode
menu_item      :reader      :Extinction      :power      :shutdown
menu_item      :reader      :Redemarrer      :power      :reboot
menu_item      :reader      :Veille      :power      :sleep

#   menu_item      :<library>      :<label>      :<action>      :<arg>
menu_item      :library      :Extinction      :power      :shutdown
menu_item      :library      :Redemarrer      :power      :reboot
menu_item      :library      :Veille      :power      :sleep
Thanks a lot!

Edit: I figured out that I maybe closed and reopened the reader too fast. I did not have time to take effect. All good if I exit the reader and open it again, but not too fast.

Last edited by Anghirrim; 09-27-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #620
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Darkmode does not work with firmware 4.26.

try changing;
Quote:
menu_item :reader :Inverser Ecran :nickel_setting :enable :dark_mode
menu_item :reader :Inverser Ecran off :nickel_setting :disable :dark_mode
to this;
Quote:
menu_item :reader :Inverser Ecran :nickel_setting :enable :invert
menu_item :reader :Inverser Ecran off :nickel_setting :disable :invert
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #621
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Darkmode does not work with firmware 4.26.

try changing;

to this;
Dark mode does work indeed. But I took the post #555 nickel update too.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #622
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes dark mode affects only the book, nothing else. Some prefer this over the old invert method which affects everything while some prefer the invert method. You can have both in your configuration file. There’s a post somewhere which goes into detail about what happens when you enable both (it’s nothing bad) I just forget where. I think it gives you the reverse of dark mode in books, but don’t hold me to that. I just use dark mode as I prefer not to have to mess around with inverting book covers to have them display properly.

Thank you very much. Now i get it.

New questions though:

1. How do i use custom icon for nickelmenu

is this the right line:

experimental: menu_main_15505_icon: /mnt/onboard/.adds/nm/icon/icon.png

I did this (i created the necessary folders and put the icon in that directory nut no icon appeared in the menu.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I figured it out. everything is okay now. Thanks

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 09-29-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #623
xversion1
Enthusiast
xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does anyone know how to stop ftp server after starting it? I tried toggle wifi but it doesn't work.
It would be best if it can be toggled as Telnet.

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. Just delete the part goes after ||, like this:
Quote:
menu_item :main :FTP :cmd_spawn :quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1021"

Last edited by xversion1; 10-05-2021 at 08:26 AM.
xversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 PM   #624
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi all.
Using the build in post #555 and the following lines in my config. I see a window come up with a message saying Dark Mode is enabled/disabled, but the mode doesn't actually change (right now it's stuck in dark mode)
menu_item :main :Toggle Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader :Toggle Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode

- Edit-
I added DarkMode=false into the feature settings section of Kobo ereader.conf and soft reset. There was no DarkMode entry in there previously.
After the reboot, I'm back in "light" mode. Neither "invert" nor "dark_mode" NM toggles do anything, same as previously.

Last edited by Minotaur; 10-12-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:23 AM   #625
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
Hi all.
Using the build in post #555 and the following lines in my config. I see a window come up with a message saying Dark Mode is enabled/disabled, but the mode doesn't actually change (right now it's stuck in dark mode)
menu_item :main :Toggle Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader :Toggle Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode

- Edit-
I added DarkMode=false into the feature settings section of Kobo ereader.conf and soft reset. There was no DarkMode entry in there previously.
After the reboot, I'm back in "light" mode. Neither "invert" nor "dark_mode" NM toggles do anything, same as previously.

The darkmode functions in the reader only. Main menu stays normal. The reason for dark mode in main menu is so that wehn you enable it there (main menu) when you go to the reader to read a book, it is already set to dark mode. The reason for this is when you set the dark mode after going to the reader first, there is a tendency fo glitching, and you need to exit and reenter for it to function as intended (or open another menu). basically the reader needs to refresh for dark mode to be active
Old 10-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #626
TimJG
TimJG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD
I got to step 5..follow the instructions in KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/doc to configure NickelMenu.. Could you tell me what to do next if all I'm looking for is to add landscape orientation to my Clara HD?

I tried copying several lines from the Doc into the config file I created, but the result is always a "config error" on my device.
TimJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #627
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJG View Post
to add landscape orientation
If you only need this one addition, why use NickelMenu at all?
Enable the patch: Allow rotation on all devices.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #628
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
These commands will do the trick. You can comment out (by beginning the line with a "#" sign) any of the four orientations you don't plan to use, and you can edit the names in the second column ("Portrait," "> Landscape" -- meaning with the thick edge on the right; "< Landscape" -- meaning with the thick edge on the left; and "Upside Down") to whatever you wish.

Code:
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
menu_item :main    :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :main    :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :main    :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :main    :Upside Down     :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :reader  :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :reader  :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :reader  :Upside Down     :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :library :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :library :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :library :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :library :Upside Down     :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #629
TimJG
TimJG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD
Wow, that was incredibly easy. Thanks. It works great.

I'm curious though about the "patch" Semwize mentioned. It looks like part of a firmware upgrade? Knowing only enough computerspeak to get me in trouble, I've avoided firmware upgrades (unless it's been part of a regular, automatic update) because I've heard I could do more damage than good if a glitch occurs and I don't know how to handle it.

Would you recommend firmware upgrades for just anyone?

Thanks, Tim
TimJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #630
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@TimJG

The switch will appear in the main menu (as for Forma etc)
Why do you need to use NickelMenu just for this ONE add - I don't understand.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel