Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Sure, some ISO boards have bar shaped enter but they STILL have a cut down left shift and "|" because some ISO boards do. Why else put that there?

I can't use an ISO keyboard to map every key on a JIS Japanese keyboard as it's still missing 4 keys. So no, ISO doesn't work perfectly for every language layout.
Of course not, but it's better than the 1 key less keyboards common and I have such with USA print (there are TWO |\ keys). My argument isn't that ISO suits everything, but that the reduced US layout is inflicted on the world, yet the keyboards with more keys work in USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I'm guessing by your desire to further cut down shift and backspace you're not a touch typist. Making those keys harder to hit with your pinky for the sake of 1 or 2 keys that would be completely pointless for typing English or programming and is just hurting ergonomics on already bad ergonomics.
I want to INCREASE the 1.5x size Left shift and decrease the often more 3x size Right shift proportionately. The BS key only needs to be 2x wide for touch typests. It doesn't need to be 2.5 to 3.5

The basic IBM USA only PC layout should never have existed. You can have better Ergonomic single physical layout for USA and other Englishes, all European, Middle Eastern and Cyrillic. Probably suit some alphabetic Asian languages too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #62
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
People seem to be esp. enamored with Freewrite keyboards. Wouldn't a more flexible solution be a laptop with mechanical switches runnung DarkRoom -- something like the Eluktronics Mech-15 line -- or simply a tablet with a bluetooth mech keyboard like the Keychron or Varmilo VB87?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #63
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
People seem to be esp. enamored with Freewrite keyboards. Wouldn't a more flexible solution be a laptop with mechanical switches runnung DarkRoom -- something like the Eluktronics Mech-15 line -- or simply a tablet with a bluetooth mech keyboard like the Keychron or Varmilo VB87?
Yeah, I suggested DarkRoom way back before the pandemic times in this thread. I can see the drawbacks, though. I bought my wife a writing laptop and she still gets, shall way say, distracted by the other things it can do other than serve as a writing machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I guess it's about what you have and what you need. For example, I carry my old beat-up Chromebook everywhere. It has Evernote, DarkRoom, a Pomodoro timer app, and some ambient sound apps. But if you don't have an everyday carry machine, I can see the value of one of the others.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #64
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Got $899 bucks to spend?

If so, you could be an owner of the limited Hemingwrite edition w/Briefcase, from Astrohaus.

Supply is limited, so you better get your money together now! (I would suggest paying in pennies, so they'll be forced to count every one.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
^

Well, it's gone. Sold out! Chow-chow-chow.

I didn't buy one; it's too expensive. You know how when you pass a beautiful car, one that's way to expensive for you? You take a second look, a third look. Your eyes travel all across its body. You imagine yourself sitting in the car, changing gears, zooming down the highway, turning corners, Miles Davis playing some lazy jazz on the exquisite stereo. You can almost imagine yourself in your pajamas (you're that comfortable) as the steering wheel glides through your fingers. Your breath catches. And then, as you begin to take a fourth look, a telephone pole smacks you in the face and you're shocked back into reality. That kind of expensive.

But it sure is beautiful. But so is money!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:01 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
My boss loaned me his very posh car once to pickup someone from the airport. My boss in the sense of Company Boss.
I lost all ambition to have a posh car after that. More than a decade later in the late 1990s another boss was berated by his wife. A posh car that looked like it had rubber bands instead of tyres.
"I'm not driving that! You'd feel every pebble and what about the pot holes?"

I'll stick with utility. My E460 Lenovo now five years old. I looked at a new laptop and one "good enough screen" was €1500+ and no HDD option. SSD only.
I added a 24" 2560x1440 screen and a nice S/H unused Logitech keyboard. Saved €1300.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote