Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #46
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Further response received today:

Quote:
Dear Mr Adams

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 23/02/2010 06.45 PM.

I have now escalated your case for further investigation, once I have received a response, I will contact you again with the information I have been given.

Yours sincerely
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #47
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
My wishlist is slightly bitter and maybe childish, I wish for a reader ( or Firmware ) that doesn't Freeze so easily, after just 4 days, i Have a totally non functioning reader, Of course I'm just a little Bitter, especially as it took every penny we had !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #48
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Further response received today:
I am curious: what e-mail address did you use?
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #49
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did it through the european support website here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...#search_anchor
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #50
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I sometimes wonder about these people on the phones / behind emails. Surely there must be a way, as a consumer, to pass on a message to actual developers about their product.
I contacted Sony support in the UK about the lack of full justification on the PRS-505. They phoned me back! Which was a surprised. I still got a brush off though I did ask the support lady to send my comments onto the developers, and she said she would. Do I believe her? We can only hope...
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #51
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I did it through the european support website here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...#search_anchor
I recommend everyone who wants a firmware update to do this--the more complaints Sony get the more likely they are to do something. This is a problem with all of their readers (except I think the PRS-900).

Although I really like my PRS-505, the lack of long term support (unlike other brands like the Bebook Neo), makes me question whether I would buy Sony again.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #52
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The official line from all developers of any products is to refuse to receive any privately sent suggestions. Even if they sneak peak at the e-mail they will never let on if they have. They much prefer stuff posted on public boards like this. This has to do with royalties and claims. They don't want there to be even a sliver of a risk that they can get sued if they would take advice sent them. It's a very sticky, and far from obvious, legal situation for them. Who can blame them for not wanting to take chances.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #53
jamadams
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
The official line from all developers of any products is to refuse to receive any privately sent suggestions.

It's not a suggestion. It's a bug report.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #54
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I have a slightly different wishlist, as I believe I'm in a minority in that line justification matters not a whit to me.

I want a push/pop stack of my 5 most recently read books. As it is now, only the last book I opened is remembered. I read lots of books concurrently, and honestly I can't always remember the titles of them without the visual cue of the cover. I find it tedious to sort through my list of books looking for the file I was reading a few days ago.

I wish that categories would not be duplicated between device memory and the SDcard. If I have a file with multiple tags, and one of the tags denotes files I keep on the card, do I need two copies of the file? Very wasteful. A very simple algorithm could determine where the file is, give preference to either onboard or SDcard RAM (bonus points if that's configurable via preferences) and keep just one copy.

And maybe I missed it, but THERE IS NO REASON IT IS SO HARD TO EXPORT SELECTED TEXT, and the related complaint WHY ARE TEXT SELECTIONS ARBITRARILY LIMITED TO 100 CHARACTERS My next reader will be able to export how ever much text I select. I like Sony and am a happy owner of numerous Sony products, but if they can't make this happen my next reader will not be a Sony.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I want a push/pop stack of my 5 most recently read books. As it is now, only the last book I opened is remembered. I read lots of books concurrently, and honestly I can't always remember the titles of them without the visual cue of the cover. I find it tedious to sort through my list of books looking for the file I was reading a few days ago...
The 900 allows you to sort by latest read.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #56
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Wishlist..huh?

- Usb host mode for a keyboard ;>
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #57
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:

It's not a suggestion. It's a bug report.

Exactlt .... A Bug Report ....thier bound to cover thier own BUTTS, think about it !!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #58
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
My wish list:
- the time displayed somewhere (date optional)
- having a "currently reading" list like Stanza
- having the ability to click/press something and it tells me how many pages left
in the current chapter
- a diary that I can put reminders in

ha ha, don't want much do I.
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #59
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
just_kev, you can have the time display if you "russify" your reader. This works similar to PRS+ for PRS505.
For a currently reading list I use the collections. I have stuff sorted as read next, current books, etc. For the diary you could also use drawing or notes of PRS600. It doesn't have a calendar though. For notes I want to be reminded of I use my cell phone.
Ok, the how many pages are left is not included in russification. So russification is not as versatile than PRS+, but it's a start.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #60
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The 900 allows you to sort by latest read.
That would be the slow, inelegant solution the problem. I really don't think it's good practice to choke the CPU and mainboard scanning the last access time on each file - With as many books as I have, that takes quite some time. I would think with .5G onboard RAM they could throw a few kb at a stack, accessible from the main menu where the "Continue Reading" icon is now.

I suppose I'm looking for a feature analogous to the classic "pile of books on the nightstand."
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote