Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #61
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I buy a lot of ebooks from independent publishers which BoB doesn't carry but Fictionwise does. Selection + price = Fictionwise for me, YMMV.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #62
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
Don't see any mention of it, so in case anyone still wants to get in on it, the sale has been extended (no end date listed).
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #63
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cen View Post
Don't see any mention of it, so in case anyone still wants to get in on it, the sale has been extended (no end date listed).
Yes, I was going to edit the first post
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #64
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
I so did not need them to do that
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I bought some books this morning, before leaving for work.

Then I came home and saw that it was extended, so I thought....I'm going to buy just ONE MORE BOOK!

The book was priced at $4.24. I forgot, though, that for any Paypal purchase under $5.00 there's a 50 cents charge that's added to the purchase!!!

Lord, what an idiot I am!!! Hahahahaha!!! Carry me to the farm and degauss me!

Argggghhhhgg!! as someone said in a different post.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #66
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

The book was priced at $4.24. I forgot, though, that for any Paypal purchase under $5.00 there's a 50 cents charge that's added to the purchase!!!
That's why I have 2 books in my cart right now! Like I need 2 more after purchasing 17 yesterday!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #67
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
PayPal Charge under $5?

Hmmm.... This is a new one to me. I haven't bought from FW in a long time, but do shop at BooksOnBoard and Mobipocket fairly frequently. I've never seen this charge. Is this only if you use PayPal? (I only use credit cards.) Thanks in advance for the tip.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteagle View Post
Hmmm.... This is a new one to me. I haven't bought from FW in a long time, but do shop at BooksOnBoard and Mobipocket fairly frequently. I've never seen this charge. Is this only if you use PayPal? (I only use credit cards.) Thanks in advance for the tip.
Nope... credit card and paypal incure a 50¢ fee if the charge is under $5. That's why they recommend that you buy some micropay if your charge is going to be under $5 so you save the 50¢ fee.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #69
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
More on FW paypal and credit card surcharge

Thanks, Bob. That's very interesting. This must be a Fictionwise decision then. I wrote BooksOnBoard Support and they confirmed that BooksOnBoard does not have this charge. It's the hidden costs that get you, though I'm not sure it really matters to me on a $5 book. On the other hand, 10% is a lot of money over the long run. If BooksOnBoard or some of the other book sites are going to save me 10% right off the bat on less expensive books, that rules FW out. Actually, it's much more than 10% on lower cost books. A $2.50 book costs 20% more through FW because of the charge.

So to buy at FW, you pay $30 per year for Buywise, pay 50 cents more for transaction for books below $5, not get rebate credit for books I buy with rebate dollars, etc. In the last year, I'd moved from FW to BooksOnBoard because of their straight discounts and customer support. (I also buy form Mobipocket occasionally, but their support is non-existent.)

Now, I'll add 50 cents per book savings on anything under $5 to the BooksOnBoard plus column. BooksOnBoard also has the double-dip loophole on Rewards Dollars which has really been sweet. My guess is that they will eventually close it, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy it.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #70
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteagle View Post
Thanks, Bob. That's very interesting. This must be a Fictionwise decision then. I wrote BooksOnBoard Support and they confirmed that BooksOnBoard does not have this charge. It's the hidden costs that get you, though I'm not sure it really matters to me on a $5 book. On the other hand, 10% is a lot of money over the long run. If BooksOnBoard or some of the other book sites are going to save me 10% right off the bat on less expensive books, that rules FW out. Actually, it's much more than 10% on lower cost books. A $2.50 book costs 20% more through FW because of the charge.

So to buy at FW, you pay $30 per year for Buywise, pay 50 cents more for transaction for books below $5, not get rebate credit for books I buy with rebate dollars, etc. In the last year, I'd moved from FW to BooksOnBoard because of their straight discounts and customer support. (I also buy form Mobipocket occasionally, but their support is non-existent.)

Now, I'll add 50 cents per book savings on anything under $5 to the BooksOnBoard plus column. BooksOnBoard also has the double-dip loophole on Rewards Dollars which has really been sweet. My guess is that they will eventually close it, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy it.
Yes Fictionwise does charge a $0.50 surcharge on purchases under $5.00 when you don't use Micropay. However, since I don't really like charges under $5 on my card anyway that doesn't really bother me much. Besides, with their indie publisher support, FW is far more likely to have something really cheap on the list that I can use to push the cost up to $5.00.

Having said that, it is a plus on the Books On Board column.

As to the double-dipping on rewards dollars, FW does allow double-dipping provided the rebate is no more than 30%, and that rebate is higher than most of the rebates I can see today for recent SF books on BoB.

However, it's not true that books are always cheaper at BoB Take this book for example, Ann Aguirre's Wanderlust:

FW Price $7.99/$6.79 Club Rebate $3.40 = net cost $3.39 AR (without the Club it's $3.99 AR)
BoB price $7.99 Rebate $0.80 = net cost $7.19 AR

Please note that doesn't count FW's additional $0.34 rebate for Secure Ereader which would tilt the balance even further, or the fact you have to send an email to BoB to get reward dollars added to your account.

Yes BoB often has lower prices, but that's not always the case. I buy from both sites, and usually check BoB, but FW gets a lot more of my money because I usually find better deals on the books I buy when I buy them.

There is also the fact that FW does try to offer DRM-free books, which is a huge sign in the plus column for them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #71
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
My List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why do these things seem to deteriorate into my reader is better than your reader, my ebook store is better than your ebook store, etc. etc. I buy the books where I want at the time based on the value or sale of the moment and am not locked to any concrete better than you are decision. The world is become way to polarized for my blood.

Dale
I agree with DaleDe. Who cares which store you use. I myself am a Fictionwise person, but if you like BoB, yay for you.

I'm much more interested in what everyone has bought. For the few people who have posted their purchase list, thank you. It's very interesting to see what everyone is reading.

I spent WAY too much, but that's alright. I used the sale to get some more of series I enjoyed (Temperance Brennan), try out a new series (Southern Vampire Mysteries), some ones I've been eyeing but wasn't sure about ("Mystic River") and some that I REALLY wanted but were too expensive ("Victory of Eagles" "Snakehead") plus more!

Here's my list. Please share yours!

6.79 - 1 * Monday Mourning [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 7]
[Secure Mobipocket] by Kathy Reichs
6.79 - 1 * Cross Bones [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 8] [Secure
Mobipocket] by Kathy Reichs
5.09 - 1 * Bare Bones [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 6] [Secure
6.79 - 1 * Grave Secrets [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 5]
6.79 - 1 * Fatal Voyage [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 4] [Secure
6.79 - 1 * Deadly Decisions [Dr. Temperance Brennan Series Book 3]
6.79 - 1 * Dead to the World [Southern Vampire Series Book 4] [Secure
Mobipocket] by Charlaine Harris
5.53 - 1 * Club Dead [Southern Vampire Series Book 3] [Secure
5.53 - 1 * Living Dead in Dallas [Southern Vampire Series Book 2]
[Secure Mobipocket] by Charlaine Harris
5.09 - 1 * Dead Until Dark [Southern Vampire Series Book 1] [Secure
5.94 - 1 * Angel Fire East [Secure Mobipocket] by Terry Brooks
5.94 - 1 * A Knight of the Word [Secure Mobipocket] by Terry Brooks
5.94 - 1 * The Elves of Cintra [Genesis of Shannara Series Book 2]
[Secure Mobipocket] by Terry Brooks
15.30 - 1 * Victory of Eagles [Temeraire Series Book 5] [Secure
Mobipocket] by Naomi Novik
6.79 - 1 * Mystic River [Secure Mobipocket] by Dennis Lehane
6.79 - 1 * Childe Morgan [A New Novel of the Dernyi] [Secure
Mobipocket] by Katherine Kurtz
15.29 - 1 * Snakehead [Alex Rider Adventure Series Book 7] [Secure
Mobipocket] by Anthony Horowitz
9.34 - 1 * The 6th Target [The Women's Murder Club Series Book 6]
[Secure Mobipocket] by James Patterson
8.49 - 1 * The 5th Horseman [The Women's Murder Club Series Book 5]
[Secure Mobipocket] by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
-----
141.80 - Total

85.15 - *Rebate (Added to your Micropay account)

Bonus...over $100 you get another 10% or 15% micropay rebate.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
Who cares which store you use. I myself am a Fictionwise person, but if you like BoB, yay for you.
I like bob.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #73
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I like Fictionwise

vsalvaggio, I like the Southern Vampire series. Not enough to buy them, but they are fun library reads. Kathy Reichs, I am meh about

Here is what I bought:

Nim's Island by Wendy Orr (loved the movie!)
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick
The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts

My rule for buying versus borrowing is:

- If I want to read it, like the author and it's cheap enough ($5 or so) I will buy it. This covers fairly disposable paperbacks like Nora Roberts, the Kellerman series etc. In p, I might have bought them and sold them back to the used bookstore after

- If it's in the $10 or so range and is something that sounds like I might enjoy it enough to read more than once (e.g. the Gaiman) I'll buy it. If it's above the $10 range and does not have a compelling incentive like a big rebate, I won't but it in e or in p

- If it remotely interests me and has 100% rebate, I buy it no matter the price. Then I can spend the rebate was my book budget for the month

- I do not buy cookbooks or fitness books in e (I like to be able to see the whole page at once) so I view these in person and then either buy them in p or buy them in e

I would say I am spending a little more now than I used to because I am not constrained by how many p-books I can store in my house But overall, it is pretty sensible because when I do buy, I don't have to sell it or get rid of it when I am done, so I am getting books I can return to when I please.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #74
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Site now says through Thursday (Oct. 16)
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #75
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like using the 100% rebates to bootstrap other purchases; but I only do them when I was going to buy something else anyway. Well, unless I have extra cash so I don't mind leaving it in Micropay for a while.

I'm comfortable with the system and it works for me.

In other news they appear to have fixed the 105% rebate hole-- but that doesn't really bother me.

I do think if I bought more mobi than ereader I might prefer BoB, but there's something about the gleeful feeling I get from buying books and watching my Micropay balance shoot upwards.

As it is I think you can probably get about equal deals from the two stores if you time your purchases properly. In my experience BoB is more likely to have slightly better prices and FW is more likely to have better rebate deals. It all depends what you buy and when and how you buy it as to which is going to be the better store for you at any given time.

I recommend everyone try both and see which one you like better.

In the meantime I'm enjoying the Micropay rebates:

5.94 - 1 * The Lies of Locke Lamora [Secure eReader (recommended)] by
Scott Lynch
5.94 - 1 * What Fire Cannot Burn [Secure eReader (recommended)] by
John Ridley
6.79 - 1 * Kris Longknife: Intrepid [PRE-ORDER ONLY: Available: Oct
28, 2008] [Secure eReader (recommended)] by Mike Shepherd
5.94 - 1 * Mutant Chronicles [Secure eReader (recommended)] by Matt
Forbeck
4.24 - 1 * Interzone Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine #216
[MultiFormat] by TTA Press Authors
4.24 - 1 * Interzone Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine #215
[MultiFormat] by TTA Press Authors
6.79 - 1 * Wanderlust [Secure eReader (recommended)] by Ann Aguirre
-----
39.88 - Total
21.53 - *Rebate (Added to your Micropay account)

It's making me happy
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote