Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #21196
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I got my first computer about 15 years ago and I believe this might be the first time I have a computer problem that I just can't figure out. I'm getting a blue screen, garbled screen, no screen or automatic reboot and I just can't figure out what can cause all of those symptoms. Grrrr...
I'd say faulty power supply as a starting point, but that could lead to fried cards and other things.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #21197
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
That usually means that the computer is broken.

or your video card is stuffed.

Either way, and opportunity to buy a new computer yay!
I can't believe how cheap they are now. Those tiny laptops cost less than the iPad.

I used to get excited buying a new computer. Like a kid with a brand new 10 speed bike. After all the PCs, Macs, i-things etc. over the years the one thing I'm most grateful for now is that you can pull the thing out of the box and get it up and running in just a few minutes instead of the hours of loading software.
I think Word was about 16 floppies.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #21198
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
ahh! floppies. When I worked in the bank we had to boot our computers with 8" floppies and they were actually floppy. You could see the needle working through the little hole in the front. And we had modems. A message used to come up on the little screen that was on a 3' stick above the desk and say Modem Ready MR. I thought it was addressing the male staff for a while.

But I am too old to have seen the punch cards in action - they were still in the stationery cupboard, but were obsolete. And we had guns, but only the blokes were allowed to use them. Then they brought out the anti-disrimination stuff and nobody could use them.

I feel really old now.....
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #21199
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I'm most grateful for now is that you can pull the thing out of the box and get it up and running in just a few minutes instead of the hours of loading software
Disagree here.
Back then we actually GOT install media. Nowdays a restore-partition which along with the factory installation is as shitfull of test versions and useless crap as possible. It's worse than on a cellphone. To clean that up can actually be more time-consuming than an installation from scratch would have been were one given the stuff on discs.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #21200
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
That usually means that the computer is broken.

or your video card is stuffed.

Either way, and opportunity to buy a new computer yay!
I was thinking it might be broken. Are you sure?!

I thought it was the video card, so I replaced it. Well, the new one has a larger heat sink and no fan, so at least it's quieter. The PC's less than 2 years old, and was a mild gaming computer, so when it's running, it runs great and processes quickly. Of course... I have to get it running first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Any box large enough to hold electronic parts is also large enough to hold evil spirits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
@SolRaven: Modern technology won't help at this point. You need to drive a stake in your computer's hard drive and perform an exorcism.
As WT pointed out, an exorcism just might be what it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd say faulty power supply as a starting point, but that could lead to fried cards and other things.
After I changed to the silent video card, I thought I heard something coming from the power supply, then I realized that a cord was rattling on the edge of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I can't believe how cheap they are now. Those tiny laptops cost less than the iPad.
Thank goodness for that or I wouldn't be able to sit here and type on this little netbook, which costs less than half of what my iPad was when it was new.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #21201
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've been getting the Blue Screen of Death lately myself... I don't have the skill or knowledge to interpret the log to find out why it happens either. Seems to only happen if I'm using the browser on certain sites... Could this be 'Net Nanny' my wife installed?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #21202
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Disagree here.
Back then we actually GOT install media. Nowdays a restore-partition which along with the factory installation is as shitfull of test versions and useless crap as possible. It's worse than on a cellphone. To clean that up can actually be more time-consuming than an installation from scratch would have been were one given the stuff on discs.
I bought a new computer last month. It has four parts.
The computer, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and a power lead. Plugged it in, entered my email and logged onto the wi-fi and that was all there was to it. It was good, so we bought another one.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #21203
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Disagree here.
Those used to annoy me quite a bit. But http://pcdecrapifier.com/ has really helped me when I have to clean up friends/family new systems.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #21204
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What you are looking at is the "Personalized English Bridle Leather Dog Collar" from HipHound.com. It costs $28.95, but with $8.95 S&H the total comes to $37.90. This is a quality collar; not a trace of plastic on it anywhere. I bought one of these for Norton, and one for Crystal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HipHound collar.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	92625

Now the collar I bought for Norton is missing. This is the second collar that's disappeared from around Norton's neck without a trace. The first had his rabies tag and city tag attached. Crystal has a nasty habit of grabbing Norton's collar when they play and sometimes pulls it off completely. I'm beginning to think Crystal eats them.

Make Tom angry. Crystal no want see Tom when Tom angry. Crystal would no like Tom when Tom angry.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably just buy him another and not even scold her. But not today.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #21205
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arrrrgh! I'll make that scurvy wench walk the plank yet!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #21206
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Arrrr! Softie! Ye know full well th' only plank she'd be a-walkin' be this type:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #21207
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Kinda' looks like her, matey. She's all black, but 'er tail curls up just like that dog's.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #21208
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
What's the reason of all that jolly rogering of yer avatars? What have I missed? Walk me a p-link would ya?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #21209
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Arrrrr...there ye be matey: Wikipedia's view on International Talk Like a Pirate Day
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #21210
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I've been avoiding Facebook today for that reason. Oddly, though, on Mobileread it doesn't bother me.

(Come to think of it, I avoid Facebook most of the time anyway.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness