Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #46
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by topquark View Post
Hello everyone. I converted a number of books from epub to azw3 after upgrading my kindle keyboard to the new version that reads the K8 format. However, I noticed that there were some formatting problems. I read in other posts that the epub to azw3 conversion should yield good results, so I am wondering if there is something wrong with my settings.

I tweak the epub first using sigil, making very minor changes such as 5pt left and right margins, et cetera. Then I save and convert to azw3 using Calibre. My settings are, for Look and Feel:

-- Disable font size rescaling unchecked
-- Minimum line height 120%
-- Line size: .5em

(I did not fool around with these too much since I am not sure what to do -- forgive my being a noob)

For structure detection, everything is turned off. That is basically it. Everything else is, I guess, at default and/or turned off. Is there something wrong with these settings?

The formatting problems I noticed are as follows:

1. On my kindle, the line spacing of AZW3 is much larger than with the old mobi files, so that I have to keep switching between medium and large line spacing when switching between mobi and azw3 books. Is this normal? The line spacing problem does not show when I view the azw3 format using Calibre's viewer. It only shows when the books are in my kindle. All the AZW3 books I converted have really large line spaces.

2. The dropcaps do not convert properly. I have attached screenshots of this. The first one is the epub, with a much larger dropcap letter. The second is the AZW3, where the letter becomes much smaller.

I am sorry if these are noob questions but I would really appreciate some help on the proper settings to use for converting epub to azw3. Thanks in advance.
Hi topquark - I know it's already something like 19 months and perhaps you have found some other solution... Anyway, please check this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=css
JSWolf has the sollution and believe me, IT WORKS!!!
BTW, I am using his Charis SIL Compact
Regards
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote