Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Derek R
Zealot
Derek R began at the beginning.

Device: none
dimensions and resolution of background images in epubs

I have foxed and browned endpapers of old books that I want to scan and use as background images for epubs. I am assuming that I would just put the necessary background-image code in the body of the css and then use a separate stylesheet to exclude the background from the cover.xhtml page?

But I am wondering what dimensions I should make these background image pages and at what resolution. Do the different devices resize them to fit the screen and, if they aren't at the right ratio for the screen, would 'background-repeat: repeat;' resolve that problem.

I hope that makes some sort of sense?

Any advice on how to get this right would be appreciated.
Derek R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why would you want that? I understand the effect you try to establish, but most likely the result will be unreadable on e-ink devices.

Anyway, in essence you are correct, but whether it will work depends on the reader. Not all readers will probably support it.
Most readers have a workable resolution from around 600x800. Whether or not the device will resize, depends on the code you use. If you use width and height 100%, you should be allright.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Derek R
Zealot
Derek R began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you. It is really to add the age effect to old texts for aesthetic value. I wanted to experiment to see if it would work on iBooks at least. I will engage in some trial and error with images saved at 72dpi and see what happens.
Derek R is offline   Reply With Quote