Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Differences in layout with different Kindle programs

I'm using Dreamweaver and Mobipocket Creator. It works as expected on a real Kindle Wifi with the keyboard (UK if they are any different), but I get different spacing between scenes on Kindle PC and Android phone. If affects spacing between chapter headings as well.

Is there some html code to standardise spacing on all the different platforms? I've just been using either "P" or "BR" tags.

I've attached a picture from Kindle PC, on the real Kindle the spacing both above and below the 3 stars is the same. That's what I'm aiming for across all platforms. And is there likely to be variations between different models of real Kindles too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	80176  
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle for PC ignores blank lines - at least it ignores blank lines done with my usual method for doing them, which is:

Code:
<div>&nbsp;</div>
The official Mobi way to do line spacing is to use the "height=" attribute of a paragraph. Eg:

Code:
<p height="1em">
will give you a 1em space above the paragraph. That should work fine on all devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Harry's excellent advice notwithstanding:

There are some subtle differences between how MOBIs render on a Kindle device and how they render on the various Kindle for * apps (and between the apps) that can't really be taken into consideration (with a single source document anyway), but paragraph and header spacing shouldn't be one of those things if you follow Harry's advice.

Quote:
And is there likely to be variations between different models of real Kindles too?
Maybe with the 1st generation Kindles, but things seem to render fairly consistently on the other devices (though I have no experience with the latest eink generation—and the KFire would probably fall under the "app" category).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote