Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
maynard
Edge User

Question about product

I'm interested in the device. I'm prepared to buy immediately, however, I have some questions:

1) Are the touch screens resistive or capacitive?

2) Is it true that both Bluetooth and the camera are disabled?

3) Are there developer tools available? Can I login to the device, gain access to a shell, and install Linux software? May I rebuild the kernel? May I install a different Linux derivative?

4) Is the hardware and access _OPEN?_ What is the hardware? How much physical RAM is installed? The technical specs listed give little information.

5) What is the schedule for supporting Android 2.x?

EDIT:

6) Is the battery user replaceable, or is it built into the device?

Thank you,
-M

Last edited by maynard; 04-09-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Additional question

Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

2) The bluetooth/camera are not intentionally "disabled". They simply don't function yet due to software issues. Entourage is working furiously on software updates.

3) We're all still waiting for the SDK specifically for the Edge. The regular Android development tools work up to a point on the LCD screen. There are many properly written Android apps that open full screen on the LCD. The e-Ink/wacom display is an entourage extension. I would figure that rebuilding and installing Android on the Edge will render the eInk screen nonfunctional.

Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
done
Edge User

The battery in the eDGe is user replaceable. You are able to buy extra batteries directly from our online store, in the accessories section: http://www.entourageedge.com/accessories/power.html

Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
maynard
Edge User

OK. Thank you all for the informative responses. I want to particularly thank Boris for the specs list. I may have additional questions. But this looks like the device for me. I came pretty close to buying an iPad, until I realized it didn't actually do what I need. Which happens to be read and annotate PDFs, typically academic papers and other technical documents. I think this device will meet that need.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
ckole
Edge User

Of all the devices available "today" subject to change tomorrow this is the best device for what you want to do. While it adds bulk having two screens you can blaze through documents like no other devices. What I mean is having a TOC on the LCD and content on e-ink is great. So efficient. I love my Nook for being a reader only. It is good be epub files and that is about it. If you want to move around, take notes, read PDF's forget. While the Kindle DX is promising most of the "experts" have said forget it when it comes to annotations and the like.

Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
maynard
Edge User

I already own a Sony PRS-505 and an older iRex iLiad. iRex has been very good about helping their user community hack the device to add functionality. But the hardware hasn't done the job for reading full page PDFs, particularly its poor zoom and landscape functions. Perhaps this unit will be better. I just ordered one, so I'll see in the next week or so whether this really is the device for me.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
maynard
Edge User

Another quick question: Is Chinese supported as one of the alternative languages?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
alefor
Edge User

I dunno about Chinese but out of the box my eDGe easily handles Japanese file names and emails. I suspect Chinese will also work. I have not tried Japanese text entry however.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
alefor
Edge User

While spare batteries and AC adapter are listed in the eDGe store they remain "out of stock" and who knows when they will be available!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
dontpanic
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
While spare batteries and AC adapter are listed in the eDGe store they remain "out of stock" and who knows when they will be available!!!!!!!!!!
We should have all the accessories back in stock within two weeks. AC adapters are in and should be up on the web site Monday or Tuesday.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
alefor
Edge User

Thanks very much. I am looking forward to some spares!