Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?
Yes, it would be more useful to remember what you read 7 6.42%
No, it isn't necessary 17 15.60%
Don't be ridiculous! Of course not! 85 77.98%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
Don't use comic sans if you want readers to take you seriously. BTW, I didn't take that criticism too seriously.
You should. Look at it at this way: there are no readers for whom a different "fancy" font wouldn't work equally well, but there are some who will instantly dismiss everything written in that, uh, abomination.

Quote:
It's the content that people pay attention to not the fonts.
The best font in the world won't save you if your book is uninteresting, but it's still possible to spoil a good book by using the wrong font.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 06-02-2011 at 02:39 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #47
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
AAARGH my eyes!!! are bleeding
I'm sure that posting in this font is mentioned in some addendums to the Geneva Conventions. Case not, it should get a high priority on the todo-list.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #48
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
The poor bunny , this thread alone has led to three punches. We must do what we can to prevent the bunny from being punched.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 06-02-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: To delete redundant text.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #49
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
The poor bunny , this thread alone has led to three punches. We must do what we can to prevent the bunny from being punched.
You mean if I use lots of Comic Sans, I can end up with coney stew for tea? Yum!
What's the catch?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #50
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IMO and experience said articles statement is CRAP.
The typographers/printers have worked more and more methods throughout the centuries to make text more fluently readable and what was good in print is now said to be evil in digital?

Extremely bad typeset or hard to read glyphs tire. So they can hardly be helpful in perception.

I even remember I came across a very "shaky" text design by purpose (it was RPG background description) done so in order to transport a certain discomfort to the reader; the glyphs (anong other inconveniences) were minimally not straight, as if a manually typset letter matrix would have been shaken before printing.
The perception was (for me) like reading while being driven over a cobbled street - imagine nausea w/o moving...

Even being no historian I came across hard(er)-to read samples as Fraktur, Sütterlin, or Uncial (here you even lack capitals, spacing and interpunction - the text is a continuous stream of glyphs) Belive me it doesn't help neither in perception, nor memorizing.
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #51
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
The typographers/printers have worked more and more methods throughout the centuries to make text more fluently readable and what was good in print is now said to be evil in digital?
No, no. There is just the theory that text that takes more effort to read might be remembered better in the case of textbooks. This is apparently true for regular pbooks as well.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #52
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

IMO the content of a lot of textbooks is heavy enough matter.
no need for added artificial bumpers. I need a good reading flow on them in order to concentrate and mentally process the content.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #53
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
You should. Look at it at this way: there are no readers for whom a different "fancy" font wouldn't work equally well, but there are some who will instantly dismiss everything written in that, uh, abomination.
Thanks for your response. I was talking about small part of the cover in one of the books but then I replaced with another suitable font for which I don't remember the name; unless someone can tell from the cover.

Quote:
The best font in the world won't save you if your book is uninteresting, but it's till possible to spoil a good book by using the wrong font.
Perhaps the font on the cover could spoil a good book but any common fonts such as Times will do for rest of the book. Thanks.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #54
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
It should be noted that the fiber laser lectures I received this year were PowerPoint and all in Comic Sans. I guess serious people do use Comic Sans..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #55
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This article suggests that books in slightly harder to read fonts such as Comic Sans allow readers to remember more details than crisp fonts such as Arial.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/3230891.htm
The question posed was: should all ebooks be in Comic Sans?
I wouldn't say Comic Sans is harder to read. At work we provide all written work in Comic Sans for children with lower reading ages/learning difficulties because it is easier to read.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #56
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To my own uncultured eyes, comic sans in smaller sizes is one of the most readable and unobtrusive fonts, and I used it for my entire anti-elitest book. But as the source file, it's not viable for e-books anyway. Sad, because it really helps define the melting-pot perspective.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #57
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #58
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I had a professor once who used the harder-to-read-stuff-makes-you-remember-it-better argument as an excuse to make his lecture slides with neon text on a white background.

I stopped attending that lecture.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote