Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Nick_Djinn
Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Boox, Pocketbook, Asus
Is the 903 any good? Glare? Screen quality?

I am thinking about getting the 903, among other choices. Here is my thread about what I am looking for.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118485

Any suggestions? How is the 902?
Nick_Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
The device is good - build quality, software and program support. The screen is not good in dim light- I can't compare it with Pearl but I think this is common e-ink problem.Actually coming from ordinary books I'm not feeling very comfortable but I have no choice - no more room for books in my house. You can take some basic handwriting notes but I don't think you gonna love this function-it is too far from being convenient. I used its 3G capabilities because I didn't want to carry my laptop - it is good enough to check your email and browse the net if you are patient. Taking 902 will deprive you of taking handwriting notes/not a big deal/ and will make browsing the net real nightmare /no 3G here/. Otherwise they are the same.
No serious companies on the ereader market yet /sony/ If you wanna buy a phone you can chose which one is best for you. If you wanna buy a reader you have to make a lot of compromises. Good luck !

Last edited by onesome; 01-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I saw that you read PDF files and textbooks and say that you're a student, so I'm guessing that you're trying to read technical documents (with equations, tables, drawings, source code examples,...). Reflow doesn't work with those kinds of documents, as the results are incomprehensible. Fortunately, the 9.7" screen of the 903 is large enough to display most technical documents in their original layout without needing reflow, and you can use it in landscape mode to get a little bigger font size.

There was a thread in this forum about a month ago on reading scientific documents on the 902/903. Check it out for some opinions and pictures.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
i'd agree with what rkomar said. have a look at what i posted to Gudrus' thread, he was looking for similar features too: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116959 (not sure how to post a link to an individual post though).

having played with the 903 for a while, i will say that i have had no problems reading scientific/technical textbooks or journal articles (papers) on the 903's screen, in the default viewer, at the default zoom (fit width). most figures and illustrations display OK, although there will always be one or two really detailed papers where you can only make out the general idea of the figure, not all the individual details.
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Nick_Djinn
Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Boox, Pocketbook, Asus
In your opinion, would you wait for the new Boox or Asus reader, or would you settle for this one?
Nick_Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Annotations working https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118910
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNco View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116959 (not sure how to post a link to an individual post though).
If you click on the top right #number you get a single post link, if you then click on its top right thread link you get the entire thread but positioned at one post. I usually use the latter in posts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
aha, thanks @wallcraft!

@Nick_Djinn - this is the post i mentioned: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...22#post1342722

i did take a look at some of the reviews of the asus reader, and i'm not particularly impressed with the screen, but it would probably be best if you looked at some pictures in these reviews to decide for yourself what display you're comfortable with.

am totally unfamiliar with the boox though, Dulin (@Dulin's Books) is definitely more familiar with them than me!
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote