Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
delete gmail account?

Is there any way to delete the account on gmail without a reset?
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You don't want to delete the Gmail account that was used to get the device functioning so that all things Google work.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
zeroh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You don't want to delete the Gmail account that was used to get the device functioning so that all things Google work.
i added a second one that i'd like to delete.
Besides, couldn't I just redo the setup?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, you can delete it. When you say setup do you mean reroot? Yes.

But if you messed up the Google Account that's stored on your device, you don't necessarily have to re-root. You would have to re-enable Market manually which in turn would get the rest of the stuff working.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
zeroh
Zealot

So I tried to uninstall Gmail but it would not uninstall. How do you delete it?

I don't want to reroot. When I say setup, I'm referring to the email account you had to set up after rooting (used Autonooter). I'm assuming that the gmail stuff can be deleted (or uninstalled) and then reinstall it to redo the setup. It's only an assumption.
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

No, that's not how it works.

Because it's a rooted device you can't remove stuff with no consequences. If we were talking about a phone you could remove stuff and then add it back with no problem. You would just go through the reconfiguration process again. Here it's not possible because we are tricking the device to do something it normally wouldn't do.

Everything works because there's a resident Google Account on the device (that's the purpose of doing the YouTube thing). Android revolves around this account unfortunately (speaking from a Windows Mobile perspective mind you). You have to play along with it.

You can't uninstall Gmail. I thought you just wanted to remove an account? An account that was added after you rooted. If you corrupt the Google Account on the device you'll have to reroot or re-enable Market manually which in turn restores everything.

Here's what you need to do to enable Market manually:

http://www.nookdevs.com/NookColor:Manual_market_enable

If you don't want to do the above, you'll need to re-root.

Last edited by SCION; 12-28-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
zeroh
Zealot

Ok.. thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think I want to hassle with rerooting just yet. I may do that later and test out the restore feature of MyBackup... but then, I'm assuming I can't redo the Google account setup since it'll restore it from backup. So rerooting will be a last choice if this account thing gets annoying.

I don't think I'll do the manual enable process... I seem to mess up something or something just doesn't work right on the first try whenever I try to run a script on the NC.

Now, how do you delete the second account then? I don't see that option in account settings.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
Now, how do you delete the second account then? I don't see that option in account settings.
Here's what someone did. I haven't tried it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=8

As I mentioned earlier, try not to mess with the account used to root. Again, you can get stuff to work again if you want to invest the time and effort.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
zeroh
Zealot

Thanks. I'll wait until I get bored before I try it.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
zeroh
Zealot

well, i got bored pretty quickly and tried to do the manual delete... and screwed up my NC to where I had to reboot x8 and start over. *sigh*

At least I can test out the restore function on MyBackupPro.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
zeroh
Zealot

Ok so I got the NC back to where it was before all this mess. MyBackup Pro saved me a bit of time which was a plus.

MyBackup Pro allowed me to restore all the apps minus the Google stuff. So, I was able to redo the setup to use just one account and then go to Market and install MyBackup Pro.

That, in turn, let me do the restore from my backup.

The only things it didn't do were:
restore the widgets - I had to re-add them
restore the wallpaper - the wallpaper files were not part of the backup
uninstall Softkeys - installed by autonooter
rename the files for disabling update, cell phone standby

just thought I'd share...

Last edited by zeroh; 12-28-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
just thought I'd share...
Excellent, thank you!
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Official Way to Remove Secondary Gmail Account

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Remove...Google_Account