Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Unhappy Broken DR

I took a series of trips (for both work and pleasure) and was away from my DR for about 2 months. When I came back, as expected, the battery was completely drained. I was all excited about hacking around and trying out firmware 1.7, so I plugged it in which caused the device to switch on. To my absolute horror, I saw some strange patterns "appear" on the screen when I switched it on:

Of course the device couldn't boot up because the battery needed to be charged, so I let it be for a few hours and then hit the reset button. The device booted and ran fine, but the patterns wouldn't go away. I opened a ticket at iRex, and they got back within a few hours and informed me that the screen was broken and that the warranty would not cover it

It seems strange that the patterns "appeared" just as I switched the device on, but the patterns on the screen look like they might indeed be a fracture (in one of the inner layers, the outermost is still smooth to touch). As far as I know, no one touched the DR while I was away, and I always carried it in the "flip" carrying case before that. Maybe I mishandled it at some point without noticing, or perhaps something in the screen weakens when left unused for a long time. Its also possible that something was already cracked before, and when I switched it on the cracks became visible and remained so thereafter, for some reason. Has anyone else seen this problem?

iRex wants about $390 (US) to fix the thing, which I am reluctant to spend, especially if this is something that is likely to happen again for my lifestyle, even though I do not think I subjected the DR to any undue stress. I loved my DR while it lasted, and I am going to sorely miss it

In case I decide to junk my DR, I'll probably put it up for not very much (the buyer can play around or pay $390 and get it fixed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR1000S-Broken.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	35531  

Last edited by Grimulkan; 09-06-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I mainly used the DR for reading A4/letter academic documents and textbooks, comics/manga and for pretty much all my note taking. The Sony PRS-505 took my novel reading load. I'd appreciate any suggestions on the following options I have (or any other) from people who have used the DR (or the other devices below) for similar things:

1. Cough up that $390 and get the DR fixed, there really is nothing better out there right now.
2. Forget the DR, get a Thinkpad X200 or Dell XT2 tablet. Its more expensive but a far better long-term solution, and its in color! (Does anyone else think a 12'' screen 3.8 lbs device is still too big and heavy for couch/bed reading? I can still use my Sony PRS-505 for novels.)
3. Stay eInk and get a Kindle DX! (No note-taking though, anyone have experience with a dedicated note-taking device like this one?)
4. Stop spending money! Wait for 6 months and see what happens. Big things are on the way (Plastic Logic, supposed Apple tablet).

My dream would be a 10.1'' tablet computer with a "flip screen", preferably with an active digitzer (meaning you have the option of not using your finger for touch input, as a left hander my palm confuses the heck out of a passive touchscreen device while writing). I don't know of one, does anyone? I'm not terribly particular on eInk for this, because the Sony handles most of my reading load. I don't mind spending money, provided I know I'm getting a good device.

Edit: As of October 2009, there isn't such a "dream device", but there was one in 2005. If you don't mind the Pentium M 1.2 GHz processor (more than sufficient for eBooks), the TC1100 is available for $250 or less on eBay. Its 10'' odd, 4:3 (near A4) aspect ratio, packs a Wacom active digitizer and has a detachable keyboard. Its still a bit heavy (3lbs). A pity they discontinued it, I'm sure they could make it much lighter with today's technology.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 10-05-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Don't despair just yet.

I got my old Sony PRS 500 out from the box where it had been reposing for the last six months, opened the cover, and saw a very similar picture.
"Oh Noooo!," I thought. "It must be a broken screen substrate."

However, I tried a long mains recharge (overnight) and the pattern vanished. The device is now working as well as ever it did.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that does look to me like an absolutely classic picture of a broken screen substrate. Sorry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
to me too, but now im afraid of getting a device which will crack so easy
because i want to carry my DR everyday in my backpack and read it on my way in subway or bus or in the park
its not that difference to me, carrying a 6" oder 10" device, i have to carry a bag with me everytime
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Floee, I tend to carry my Ds (in protective cover) in my bag and it has not come to any harm whatsoever. Same with my smaller BeBook (although this has now been swapped for an eco reader). The only times I have seen a broken screen, were my original Iliad which I murdered by placing my rather large, booted foot on the screen (I don't expect any device to survive such maltreatment). My daughter's cybook has suffered two broken screens, one from unknown cause (although I suspect rough treatment by said daughter) and the second time when the device was headbutted by our staffie. I do not believe that these devices are as fragile as some would have us believe. Yes they need to be treated with due care, but claims of spontaneous breaks are a little hard to accept.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
ah ok thats good to hear ^^

so im ordering it now and hope it will arrive until wednesday ^^
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Really curious if someone could answer this for me. I've seen a number of posts about broken screens. In particular the BeBook (Hanlin/Eco Reader) how durable is the screen? Are they about the same strength as a laptop LCD or considered more brittle?

Thanks in advance
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Looks like my original Sony Reader screen after a little accident (as dismayed as I was that it didn't survive, it was pretty obvious where the damage came from)

My DR1000 displayed strange lines after a long period of disuse, but after recharging and quite a few refreshes (!), they finally disappeared. I'm afraid though that Grimulkan's screenshot indicates something more serious...
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Don't despair just yet.

I got my old Sony PRS 500 out from the box where it had been reposing for the last six months, opened the cover, and saw a very similar picture.
"Oh Noooo!," I thought. "It must be a broken screen substrate."

However, I tried a long mains recharge (overnight) and the pattern vanished. The device is now working as well as ever it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Looks like my original Sony Reader screen after a little accident (as dismayed as I was that it didn't survive, it was pretty obvious where the damage came from)

My DR1000 displayed strange lines after a long period of disuse, but after recharging and quite a few refreshes (!), they finally disappeared. I'm afraid though that Grimulkan's screenshot indicates something more serious...
allovertheglobe is probably right, unfortunately Although I didn't expect it to work, I did try charging the device completely and had it boot up/shut down several times, all to no avail. I think this has effectively ended my DR adventure, it was great while it lasted.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
That definitely looks to me like a broken screen. The only way to fix it is to send it back and have it repaired. Can you find out what happened to it while you were gone? Anyone else in the house that might admit to dropping it, sitting on it, or something? I would assume that some sort of physical damage happened while you were away.

As far as a recharge fixing it, that is usually associated with "line out" errors, not a broken screen. I don't think it's going to help in your case.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
I'm so sorry, Grim. Your reports of your positive experiences, your successful academic usage, and your contributions to the DR1000s community here were the major deciding factors in my getting the device. You don't deserve this.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post
I'm so sorry, Grim. Your reports of your positive experiences, your successful academic usage, and your contributions to the DR1000s community here were the major deciding factors in my getting the device. You don't deserve this.
Couldn't agree more!
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
Couldn't agree more!
+1

-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Grimulkan,

As the preceding thread message indicates, I too relied quite heavily on your wisdom before pulling the trigger on the DR. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I was just holding the DR in my hand, and noticed that I sometimes held it in my left hand to read, along the bottom left hand corner. Sometimes, I'd lift it from that corner from my lap, and due to the weight of the thing, it seemed like I might be unnecessarily straining the bottom corner of the device (or its innards).

Any thoughts on whether the way you held your DR may be a cause of the malfunctioning/broken screen? Maybe it wasn't trauma but strain that has led to the screen issue?
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote