Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: One thread for each offer, or one for all?
New thread each - see at a glance what is offered. 5 55.56%
Recycle - one thread for all, just open and look at the last. 3 33.33%
Don't care. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Repeating threads in the deals forum - recycle or repost?

To clarify what I mean:
Since I'm on the mailing list from O'Reilly, I get their mails telling me about special offers.
Once in a while I post them in the deals forum. Since there isn't much to say, it's usually a rather empty thread.

So I wonder if I should continue to create new threads, or create a generic "O'Reilly offer" thread and post details as separate postings?
The advantage would be less empty threads - but the disatvantage is that you need to actually look into the thread just to know WHAT is being cheap right now and how long.

(Just for the record - I don't get money from them. I just like their books and think it's a good offer if they reduce prices by half for the eBooks.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Personally, I wish everyone would stop with the combined "deals/freebie" threads. I used to enjoy looking into that section and quickly scanning down the list of topic headers to quickly see what was available. Now with everything being piled into 2-3 "bucket" threads, I pretty much ignore that whole section.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
New ones when they appear. I agree with the bunch threads. It's hard to scan what is really new.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Huh. I find it easier to subscribe to a single thread, and get email when something new has been added. Then I click the link and go right to the new item. I rarely have time to scan the thread index anymore.

So there's the other side of the story.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We all search and browse in different manners. I don't believe there is a right answer to this one. The user group is too large to reach a consensus and not annoy a large number of users.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Huh. I find it easier to subscribe to a single thread, and get email when something new has been added. Then I click the link and go right to the new item. I rarely have time to scan the thread index anymore.

So there's the other side of the story.
This is a good point, but my experiences have been that I don't have enough interest in any particular genre to make it worth subscribing to the threads. The monthly threads are so much less rewarding to me (when considering the time spent opening them up, going through them, and coming up empty) that I hardly ever look at them anymore. (I still look, but significantly less frequently.)

I found a lot more books to download when I could skim through the titles (with suggested genres). If a title seemed interesting, and I couldn't look at it right away, I could leave it as unread and come back to it later when I had more time, or it might return to my unread list later if it got bumped (there have been a lot of books that I picked up the second time around ). I don't get that reminder when it is buried in a month long thread.

However, I imagine it is working for a lot of people or they wouldn't keep going.

I miss the individual book threads but I'm also not submitting any myself and can't really complain about the way they are presented by the people that are finding and posting them.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 12-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
A question to the mods or anyone with knowledge about these boards - can you "subscribe" to tags?
That would allow creation of new threads with the benefits of a single thread (more or less).
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You can actually subscribe to the parent of the threads. For instance, it recently occurred to me to subscribe to the LOUNGE .... so I see the title of any new threads, and can decide if I want to go read them. Since I imagine all the deals fall under some master area, one could subscribe to that. (Note to self: go do that!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote