Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2022, 09:22 PM   #61
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Not sure if it has to do with the latest firmware or the latest personal French dictionary but now every time I search for a word, it’s the custom dictionary that opens (or the last one that was open, I guess.) Before, it was always the original French Kobo dictionary that was open when I searched a word and I had to choose the custom one in a list. Anyway, it’s very cool.
This is an excellent dictionary! Thank you for the hard work! 👍
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:49 PM   #62
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try going from KePub to opening an ePub and then going to Pocket from there. See how that goes.
Someone else is going to have to do that; I don't generally sideload, so, from my use case, it's simply an irrelevancy to the crashing phenomenon.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #63
RodRiquez
Enthusiast
RodRiquez began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Since 4.33 I have been having frequent lock-ups & crashes on my Kobo Clara.

95% of what I read is epubs from Gutenburg & that's been fine up till this last update.
Many books will crash the device when I get to the last page before the copyright section starts. So it becomes unresponsive for about a minute & then reboot itself.

Any advice what to do about this?

(Example of issue: [epub no-images] from this page https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/551 crashes my kobo every time when I go past pg81, last page of chapter 10)

Last edited by RodRiquez; 07-04-2022 at 06:11 PM.
RodRiquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRiquez View Post

95% of what I read is epubs from Gutenburg & that's been fine up till this last update.
Many books will crash the device when I get to the last page before the copyright section starts. So it becomes unresponsive for about a minute & then reboot itself.

(Example of issue: [epub no-images] from this page https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/551 crashes my kobo every time when I go past pg81, last page of chapter 10)
It didn't crash my Clara HD, but, it took over 30 seconds to turn the page to the copyright. Depending on what else is happening, font choice, size or maybe something else, it might take longer. And what you describe sounds like a sickel reboot. That is a process watcher that can reboot the device if it thinks one of the main processes has hung. And taking to long to render the page could trigger sickel. And I suspect the recent changes in font handling are why you are seeing this now.

The simplest workaround for this is to delete the copyright chapter. The code in it is terrible. Removing the "pgmonospaced" class from the div in the code sped it up a lot. That is probably enough to solve this. Removing al the br tags and changing it to paragraphs tags would probably help as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #65
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

I know it's not a solution to your problem, but have you checked out the MobileRead library for books. For instance this link --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54605

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know it's not a solution to your problem, but have you checked out the MobileRead library for books. For instance this link --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54605
There's also Standard eBooks that has a nice edition of The Land That Time Forgot with cleaner formatting than the Gutenberg one.

At least I'd say download a copy and see if it plays better with your Kobo than the one you have now.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's also Standard eBooks that has a nice edition of The Land That Time Forgot with cleaner formatting than the Gutenberg one.

At least I'd say download a copy and see if it plays better with your Kobo than the one you have now.
I will say this yet again. Standard eBooks is rubbish. They have such overly complicated code that doesn't always work properly. There are some simple fixes they can do but they REFUSE to do so. So bah! and meh!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #68
RodRiquez
Enthusiast
RodRiquez began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Thanks for the suggestions ~ Ill just add that before I bought the Kobo (2 years ago?) I asked all the compatibility questions based on my intention to use Gutenburg almost exclusively. That was all fine & has been working great... up until this last update.

Having to edit books in Calibre is too tiresome, I have very little patience for this kind of problem.
Maybe there is a way to roll-back the version & then just stick with it?
RodRiquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You can easily do that. Just install the older firmware and keep the wifi off.

Still, it might be a good idea to see what the problems are. How will you know if it is the firmware or the file you downloaded that is causing the problem?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #70
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While yes, you can very easily downgrade your Kobo, if you ever enable wifi it will re-upgrade.

I'm pretty sure others have experienced issues with PG books; shall we say their markup / design is not that good (multiple chapters per internal file; chapters split across files).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm pretty sure others have experienced issues with PG books
I've found most OK. A few needed fixing and I convert them with changes set always. (smart quotes, justify, remove paragraph space and set indent)
Standard Books worse
And the House full of Random Penguins is one of the worst.

Making all the chapter breaks be an H2, make all front matter be just p styles, no headings and a Calibre conversion to page/file break at H2 and new TOC works well.

Usually a global edit fixes all the chapter headings.

It's worthwhile knowing some HTML and CSS as needed as minimum for fiction ebooks. Very many "creators"/"formatters" try to be too clever and also pointlessly imitate the paper version. Very little is needed for fiction.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:02 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions ~ Ill just add that before I bought the Kobo (2 years ago?) I asked all the compatibility questions based on my intention to use Gutenburg almost exclusively. That was all fine & has been working great... up until this last update.

Having to edit books in Calibre is too tiresome, I have very little patience for this kind of problem.
My personal opinion is that Gutenberg's epubs—for the most part—suck. Multiple chapters in a single file, chapters that are split between files, fugly CSS, etc. For the most part, I've developed a standard set of fixes I apply to Gutenberg ebooks when I do download from there.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:41 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
While yes, you can very easily downgrade your Kobo, if you ever enable wifi it will re-upgrade.
But you can apply the patch to prevent OTA firmware updates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For those who have this update, when you charge, does the charging indicator ("charging %") change on the sleep screen. I don't believe that it does on my Clara with this firmware version.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release