Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
bookworm2022
bookworm2022 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (2014)
Question Hi & best ereader question

I'm looking to give my son my precious Kindle Voyage from 2014, and a bit overwhelmed by the options. I read a lot and really enjoy reading on Kindle but I'm hoping things have improved a bit since 2014 in terms of useability.

Should I just be getting the best Kindle I can afford? I've tried to read a few reviews and looked at a Kobo Libra 2 as well as the latest Kindles in the Black Friday sale but can't pick a winner. Do the Kobo's work as well with Calibre as the Kindles?

I'd be very grateful for options about the best Ereaders and ones to look at or reviews to read.

Thank you!
bookworm2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Speaking of worms, asking which ereader is best is a can of them.
There are many threads on this already, but here goes.

If you know you will really use it, don't balk at throwing some money at it (if you have it).
There's a big difference between sub $100 and sub $200 ereaders.

Me? I'm not going to buy into Kindle ereader/OS/ecosystem/format.
My choice: an Onyx Poke3 6", although the new Onyx Leaf2 7" looks compelling.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
bookworm2022
bookworm2022 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (2014)
Thank you so much for answering. I did search the threads but couldn't find one about a best ereader but would be grateful for terms I could search for.

It's really good to hear that it's worth spending a bit on as I read a lot every day so over the years it will cost I think it's good value to get something I'll really enjoy using lots of times a day. I was partly concerned that not every ereader will play well with Calibre but maybe this is an unfounded fear.

I'll check out the Onyx choices you mention. What makes Kindle a pain? Because Amazon lock it down more? I would like the idea of something a bit easier to pop books onto that aren't from Amazon.
bookworm2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just find Kindle too closed. I root and modify my ereaders (hardware too).
Many people like Calibre. I can't be bothered.
I keep all my books in one directory on my desktop and just sync my ereader over ADB.
I've got a finite number of books ~500 and the rest are library books.
When I borrow a book it's at the top of my library app anyway.

See also: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=123
Old 11-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2022 View Post
I'm looking to give my son my precious Kindle Voyage from 2014, and a bit overwhelmed by the options. I read a lot and really enjoy reading on Kindle but I'm hoping things have improved a bit since 2014 in terms of useability.

Should I just be getting the best Kindle I can afford? I've tried to read a few reviews and looked at a Kobo Libra 2 as well as the latest Kindles in the Black Friday sale but can't pick a winner. Do the Kobo's work as well with Calibre as the Kindles?

I'd be very grateful for options about the best Ereaders and ones to look at or reviews to read.

Thank you!
Kindle hasn't really gotten any better in terms of the software. There are some on Mobileread saying the Kindle firmware has gotten worse.

My choice of a Reader that has good firmware that's fairly open is Kobo. I like the Kobo Libra 2. It's a 7" Reader with an excellent screen. I would go for the Kobo over the Onyx for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My choice of a Reader that has good firmware that's fairly open is Kobo.
Quote:
The Libra 2's biggest upgrade is a little frustrating. The ebook reader now supports Bluetooth headphones, but only to play Kobo audiobooks.
My Onyx Poke3 works with Bluetooth keyboards (English and Russian), Bluetooth clickers (stock and custom), Bluetooth foot pedals and yes, even custom USB OBD-I interface to my truck engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obdscan.png
Views:	41
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	197881  
Old 11-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you really like the adaptive lighting of the Voyage, then get the Signature. Otherwise, Paperwhite or Paperwhite Kids will give you the best bang for the buck during the black Friday sales. If you are techy enough to download your library and free DRM with Calibre, then you don't have to stick with Amazon - you could consider Kobo or other makers.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On Amazon.com, the Libra 2 is $130. It's on sale. The signature edition is $129.99. Not worth a $0.01 savings. I find the overall user experience of the Kobo to be better because you can manage your eBooks on the Kobo much better then the Kindle.

The PW5 with 16GB and no ads is $119.99. The Libra 2 comes with 32GB and no ads. To me, it's a no-brainer to go with the Libra 2.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-19-2022 at 01:23 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:36 AM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Thank you!
I'm a Kobo fan, and think the Libra 2 would be an excellent choice, but the simple truth is that the best ereader is the one that suits YOUR needs best. There's nothing wrong with the latest Kindles, fine devices and of course an unmatched ecosystem in terms of size and scope. The chances of you regretting your decision if you bought either a Libra 2 or a Paperwhite Signature Edition are very low, I think
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:14 AM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Thank you!
If you preferred using the haptic buttons on the voyage and would like to have (physical) buttons on your next reader, then it becomes a no brainer—get the Libra 2. The Oasis has buttons as well, and the software would be familiar to you, but the display is a generation behind and it would not be the wise choice now.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:31 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Do the Kobo's work as well with Calibre as the Kindles?
They work much better with Calibre. Actually no other ereader works as well with Calibre as a Kobo. Kindle integration with Calibre is rather pathetic compared to that of Kobo.

With a Kobo you can not only send books to it in Calibre, you can automatically manage metadata (including series info) and collections as well.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best ereader, kindle vs kobo