Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #631
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
6 Kindle books for $1.00 or less each (as of 11/22/09)

Hi,
I hope this post isn't too long - but I'm keeping the number of my posts to as few as possible (and to only this one thread here that Sporadic maintains). So I've collected these > $0 ones up for the last two weeks or so in order to put them all together in one post.

I like time travel fiction (or even non-fiction, for that matter! ) so I actually bought this one when it was $3.99 a few weeks ago (but haven't read it yet, however, so cannot offer an opinion); it's now down to $0.99:

Regression
by Kathy Bell
http://www.amazon.com/Regression-ebo...s=digital-text
~4.5 out of 5 stars, based on 7 reviews
$0.99 (paperback is $13.49)

Product Description (from amazon)
Fourteen-year-old Adya Jordan swears that before her head injury she was a forty-year-old mother of six. Is she going crazy, or did she really live through an entirely different life? 1985 is nothing like she remembers, although her first day of high school certainly is!

A typical girl with atypical genes, Adya tries to recapture her old life, hiding her growing conviction that she has done this before. The man she loves doesn't even know she exists yet, but she is haunted by memories of their life together.

Accidentally discovering the secretive Three Eleven Corporation might know more about her situation than she does, she is certain the twenty-eight men heading up the company are responsible for the changes in her world. Adya finds her way into their ranks, journeying to the tropical island headquarters to begin her twenty-week orientation.

Every third chapter, diary entries of scientist Nicholas Weaver are written from the future, the last survivor of the human race. He never quite tells readers all the details but the journal entries allude to a global disaster where one of Adya's children offers the last hope of survival. A maudlin but affable type, he is responsible for sending Adya back in time, doing it for the love of a woman. Over and over again for more than ten lifetimes - now that's love.

The Three Eleven Company controls the development and distribution of Twenty-first Century technology brought with them from the future. Charged with the task of preparing the world for the impending disaster, each member of the team uses his scientific background to create a solution for a problem the planet does not know it is facing. But Adya begins to question their program.

Banished to the frozen Canadian Sheild for challenging the status quo, she finds the men in the underground city of Sanctum are interested in more than just her genes as they search for the answer to her presence in the timeline.

In the end, Adya encounters a choice no mother should ever face: her children...or everyone else.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beard
by Andersen Prunty
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beard-eboo...s=digital-text
$0.99

Seven-year-old David Glum watches as his grandfather is abducted by a legendary herd of elephants. Twenty years later, after failing to sell his novel to a New York publisher, David returns to his parents’ home to focus on growing a beard, a goal he feels sure he can accomplish. Once the beard reaches a respectable girth, uncontrollable things begin happening around him. His mother dies… maybe. His father might really be a man named Gary Wrench. David is sure of only one thing: his family is cursed. It could have something to do with an eternal flame his grandfather stole from a possibly imaginary group of people called the Nefarions. David and Wrench begin a surreal cross-country journey that might have something to do with saving the world. Along the way they pass through a number of absurd towns, meet some disagreeable people, and discover an America that is radically different from the one they thought they knew, a place where nothing can be accepted for what it seems to be. And all the while, the beard grows, gaining strength, leading them toward a distant island that most people think doesn’t exist…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book is this author's debut novel; the sequel, Tiger's Quest, is also available in the Kindle store and is currently $6.99 (I won't link to here, tho, since it isn't qualified for this list and I would not want to cause any confusion):

Tiger's Curse
by Colleen Houck
http://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Curse-e...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
~5 out of 5 stars, based on 9 reviews
$1.00 (paperback is $23.99)

Kelsey Hayes was just a freshman in high school when her parents were killed in an automobile accident, sending her into the foster-care system. After graduation, she takes a job at a circus in Oregon to earn money for college. There, she becomes fascinated with the star attraction, a white tiger named Dhiren. When the tiger is sold to the mysterious Mr. Kadam, Kelsey is heartbroken—until Mr. Kadam offers her a job as Dhiren’s traveling companion. Because of her strong affection for the tiger, she agrees . When their truck is hijacked on a dirt road outside of Mumbai, Dhiren leads Kelsey deep into the jungle. There, he reveals his true nature: he is a three-hundred-fifty-year-old Indian prince, cursed by an ancient magician to live out eternity as a tiger. Young-adult readers will be enthralled by this mystical adventure story of a girl who risks her life to save the man she comes to love.

Primary Directive
by Don Pendleton
http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Direct...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
$0.78

STONY MAN

Direct action is the President's best option when America stands in the crosshairs of terrorism. The covert counterinsurgent team known as Stony Man gets the green light to strike hard and fast--no red tape, no political stalemates, just results. When the world goes to hell, the warriors of Stony Man take the heat to ensure the enemy gets no second chances.

HAZARDOUS DEPLOYMENT

Stony Man intelligence has picked up chatter about something bigger than any terrorist attack on U.S. soil. Now it's zero hour and the agency has dispatched operatives on two fronts: Panama and the Mexican border, where al Qaeda is using drug pipelines willing to accommodate cash payers to funnel terrorists into the country. It's clear the operation has been in the planning stages for a long time, with moles deep inside the U.S. security net. Now the only questions remaining are when and where the attack will take place. And how Stony Man is going to stop it...

These next two are books 1 and 2 in a series of 2 (however, I don't know if the series is complete or still in process):

Rowan of the Wood
by Christine Rose and Ethan Rose
http://www.amazon.com/Rowan-of-the-W...8894984&sr=1-1
~4.5 out of 5 stars, based on 23 reviews
$0.99 (paperback is $11.01)

Rowan of the Wood, winner of the Indie Excellence Award for YA Fiction and a Finalist for the 2008 National Best Books Award in the Young Adult Fiction category, tells the story of a young boy Cullen who meanders through the redwood forest every day on his way to school, losing himself in books and fantasy worlds full of elves, fairies, and wizards. He loves to escape to these magical lands because reality for him is not fun at all. Cullen and his two misfit friends, Maddy and April, are terribly unpopular amongst the other kids, and they regularly endure ridicule and bullying. Cullen's life changes incredibly one day when he uncovers an ancient magic wand that is inhabited by a powerful wizard, Rowan. Inadvertently, Cullen releases Rowan from the wand and finds himself possessed by the wizard, with a great power and an obsessive need to find a lost love. When danger is near, Rowan emerges from the frightened child to set things right. He and Cullen try to understand what has happened to them, only to discover a deeper problem. Nearly fourteen centuries ago, Rowan and his bride Fiana were separated on their wedding day. Rowan manages to survive, trapped in time, until Cullen releases him from the wand. Fiana uses dark magic to stay alive as she continues searching for Rowan. Over the centuries, Fiana descends deeper into the darkness becoming something evil and eventually giving up her search...until a young boy brings Rowan back to her.

Witch on the Water (Rowan of the Wood)
by Christine Rose and Ethan Rose
http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Water-Ro...s=digital-text
~5 stars out of 5, based on 5 reviews
$0.99 (paperback is $9.32)

Witch on the Water, book two in the Rowan of the Wood series, chronicles the continuing adventures of twelve-year-old Cullen and his friends, Maddy and April. Cullen thought he had enough trouble surviving school, dealing with his miserable home life, and being possessed by Rowan, a 1400-year-old wizard. But when Rowan’s wife, the sadistic vampire Fiana, comes back seeking revenge, Cullen and his band of misfits must do what they can to stop her. This time Cullen’s favorite teacher is Fiana’s first target. Imaginative and poignant, the adventure of Rowan and Cullen thoroughly enchants the reader and is a great series for readers of fantasy, young and old.

Last edited by Xia; 11-22-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: To add an author's name that I accidentally omitted.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #632
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Well, I was interested in knowing it. I'll continue examining the thread Anyway, a week earlier I think it's not motivation enough for trying Sony Store but thanks for the info.
You might want to try their store, anyway. They do have some that Amazon doesn't get as free reads - Heaven (Alcorn) and American Quartet are both free right now, for example. Amazon has an intro/first chapter from Alcorn free, but the book is $13+. I forget what the second book is going for.

Even if you don't read on the pc, you might get a sony in the future or some other device that will read an epub from the sony store. I pick up all the freebies from Sony (and, so far, nothing else) and have dozens of books in that library that I might get around to reading, someday.
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #633
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
You might want to try their store, anyway. They do have some that Amazon doesn't get as free reads - Heaven (Alcorn) and American Quartet are both free right now, for example. Amazon has an intro/first chapter from Alcorn free, but the book is $13+. I forget what the second book is going for.
I'll look there (I look at threads for Sony freebies too), because format usually isn't a problem, only a small annoyance )
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #634
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
Hi,

I like time travel fiction (or even non-fiction, for that matter! )
*snippage*

well, you let us know when you find that non-fiction time travel book! I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for it!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #635
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a short one to start off the holiday season:

The Twelve Lies of Christmas, by Kate Johnson, is a (short) prequel to her Sophie Green Mysteries series. Still Waters, the fourth in the series, was a free book from Amazon last March.

Book Description
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love lied to me.

Nate Kelly is a spy. At least, he is until Christmas, when he's retiring to take up something more peaceful, like alligator wrestling or bomb disposal. Because while he's tired of being shot at, he's also not sure he really wants to live the life of a civilian. First, of course, he has to finish his current case, complete with arms dealers, mobsters, and celebrity parties.

Not to mention the glamorous Russian femme fatale who's hacking into the same computer files as Nate, lying to the same people, and incidentally has the worst Russian accent he's ever heard. But just because she's his enemy's enemy, doesn't necessarily mean she's his friend.

Take a peek into the fabulous world of the Sophie Green mysteries, a new series coming from Kate Johnson to Samhain in March 2007.

Warning, this title contains the following: graphic language, violence, severe sarcasm. Only joking. It's quite moderate.

This title should also be free at OmniLit and All Romance, starting tomorrow, where multiple DRM-free formats are available.
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #636
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining, by Julie Kaufmann, is free in the Amazon store and just in time for the upcoming holiday season. I have two of the books in the series and look forward to trying this one out.

Book Description
Best-selling authors Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann present 300 new recipes specially created to serve a group, proving that the slow cooker is the perfect tool for effortless entertaining on weekends and even weeknights. Like the recipes in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook and Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two, the dishes here feature fresh, wholesome ingredients and reinforce what an essential appliance the slow cooker is for any busy cook. There are recipes to suit a wide variety of entertaining styles, from casual to formal; both classic slow cooker favorites such as New-Fashioned Pot Roast with Fresh Rosemary, Mulled Wine, and Hot Spinach Dip; as well as many more adventurous, innovative dishes such as Fondue with Sparkling Apple Cider, Brandied Red Onion Soup Gratinee, and Braised Pheasant with Mushrooms in Riesling that will really impress. In addition, this is the only slow cooker cookbook that includes lots of tips and techniques on how to use your slow cooker for a wide variety of entertaining options, covering all the bases: appetizers, drinks, soups, sauces, entrees, desserts.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #637
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
I have family coming over so I won't be able to update the list until tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #638
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
happy turkey day! thanks to you and koland and all the others that help for keeping this going!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #639
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Happy thanksgiving, and thank you very much for your effort.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #640
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Added

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining by Julie Kaufmann [Cookbook]

The Renovation: Carter Mansion (Project Restoration Series, Book 1) by Terri Kraus [Christian Romance]

The Twelve Lies of Christmas (Sophie Green Prequel) by Kate Johnson [Romantic Suspense]

Added Self-Published

The Beard by Andersen Prunty - $0.99 [Absurdist Fiction]

Rowan of the Wood by Christine & Ethan Rose - $0.99 [Young Adult Fantasy]

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck - $1 [Paranormal Romance]
Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #641
Sporadic
Banned

Removed

A Catered Birthday Party by Isis Crawford [Mystery] Price went from free to $9.99

House Of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure #6) by R. A. Montgomery [Young Adult] Price went from free to $5.59

Immortal: Book 3 by V.K. Forrest [Paranormal Romance] Price went from free to $9.60

Ten Stupid Things That Keep Churches from Growing: How Leaders Can Overcome Costly Mistakes by Geoff Surratt [Christian Advice] This title is not available for customers from: United States

Understood (Unbroken book 1) by Maya Banks [Erotica] Price went from free to $2.90

With Extreme Pleasure by Alison Kent [Romance] Price went from free to $8.96

Body of Lies, A Novel by David Ignatius [Spy Thriller] Price went from $0.49 to $9.99

Bedded at His Convenience by Margaret Mayo - $0.55 [Romance] Price went from $0.55 to $2.35

The Italian's Pregnancy Proposal by Maggie Cox [Romance] Price went from $0.59 to $3.40

Claimed by the Desert Prince by Meredith Webber [Romance] Price went from $0.61 to $3.40

The Brooding Frenchman's Proposal by Rebecca Winters [Romance] Price went from $0.76 to $3.24

Meant for Each Other by Lee Duran [Romance] Price went from $0.76 to $3.96

Sicilian Husband, Unexpected Baby by Sharon Kendrick [Romance] Price went from $0.77 to $3.40

Primary Directive by Don Pendleton [Military Action] Price went from $0.82 to $5.04

One Night in His Bed by Christina Hollis [Romance] Price went from $0.87 to $1.11

Claimed for the Italian's Revenge by Natalie Rivers [Romance] Price went from $0.92 to $3.40

Falling For Her Convenient Husband by Jessica Steele [Romance] Price went from $0.92 to $2.88

Mommy in Training by Shelley Galloway [Romance] Price went from $0.93 to $3.60

Nanny to the Billionaire's Son by Barbara McMahon [Romance] Price went from $0.94 to $2.88

Silent Witness by Leona Karr [Romance Mystery] Price went from $1 to $3.60

Price Change

Mistress in Private by Julie Cohen [Romance] Price went from $0.48 to $0.67

Wedding Bell Blues by Heather Graham [Romance] Price went from $0.68 to $0.76

Down Home Dixie by Pamela Browning [Romance] Price went from $0.76 to $0.48
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #642
Sporadic
Banned

7 months, 642 posts and 62,734 views

Good run

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,16096.0.html

See ya later MobileRead
Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #643
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

you're not leaving us are you?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #644
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you're not leaving us are you?
Looks like it. Avatar gone and links to Kindleboards. Too bad.

Edit: Seems we missed some drama.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-29-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #645
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

wonder what that was all about!

whatever it's worth Sporadic, thank you again. I hope with time things may heal.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap, cheap kindle books, free, free kindle books