Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
rsuchwani
Enthusiast
rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Android
Customized Navigation within ePub eBook

Hello Guys,

Looking for expert advice for having customized navigation. It goes like that; I have a complex book in which chapters are interlinked and I want to direct readers from one specific page to another and then back to another specific page. All such pages have a reference for each other and I want the reader to be able to go to specific reference and if there's another reference on that page, then go there as well. These references are not like footnotes or endnotes, instead, they refer to the entire chapter.

What I want is some custom solution to embed without relying on the reading system's own navigation (i.e. Table of Contents).

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.
rsuchwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Theoretically, you could use JavaScript in epub3 books to dynamically change link targets. (You can find a proof-of-concept epub here.) However, since epub3 readers/apps aren't that common, you might want to consider other methods.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
rsuchwani
Enthusiast
rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsuchwani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Theoretically, you could use JavaScript in epub3 books to dynamically change link targets. (You can find a proof-of-concept epub here.) However, since epub3 readers/apps aren't that common, you might want to consider other methods.
Yes, JavaScript is an option to consider and can make my life much easier, but since the ePub in question needs to be cross-platform compatible that'll mean that I can't use JavaScript for obvious reasons.

BTW, what other methods you are referring to? Please!!??
rsuchwani is offline   Reply With Quote